Critical Role Could Critical Role launch their own RPG?

Burt Baccara

Explorer
It seems to me at this point that there is a better possibility of whatever Community SRD and Open Game License emerges, the 3PP leaders behind it will try and entice CR to come over to it. It would make it an instant success, I wager.
Yes, and the rule set has to fit CR's style of play and the quick adjudication and flow needed for live play.

Would not be surprised if the CR rules or rules that attract them are more rules-light than 5e, and still retains character options.

I am sure WotC and CR have already talked about their (possible) cooperation in one or another way. CR is probably the biggest/popular player out there and I think it would be crucial for WotC to have them as allies in the new OGL.
Pact with the Devil.
Indeed Wotc can go on with their new OGL, while offering a golden partnership with CR on the other side.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It's certainly not a done deal, but it could happen and would be the smarter move by the big 3PP players.
We know Colville, Kobold, Paizo and EN Publishing aren't coordinating on SRD. A couple have said they may on a new license.

But Matt wants funky dice. Kobold and Paizo don't want to have to burn current product.

That's not a good sign of some grand unified game

Reynard

Legend
We know Colville, Kobold, Paizo and EN Publishing aren't coordinating on SRD. A couple have said they may on a new license.

But Matt wants funky dice. Kobold and Paizo don't want to have to burn current product.

We don't KNOW anything. Kobold and Coville interacted a little on twitter. These people and companies could come together to agree on a skeletal framework (an SRD of core mechanics and language) that makes it easy to move from game to game and use materials between games, without them all designing the same game.

SAVeira

Adventurer
If CR moves away from D&D, they are more likely to move to someone's system. It takes a lot of resources and skills to design a workable RPG, which I do not think they have currently.

Should they dump D&D, if I were them, I would stop doing any fantasy gaming for a while as they figure things out. Maybe do a session of a Call of Cthulhu campaign. They have had positive dealing with Chaosium in the past.

Clint_L

Hero
The first Critical Role campaign originally was a Pathfinder campaign (thus Percy the Gunslinger as one of the PCs). So them using a different system is not out of the question. Matt Mercer is also a decades-long player who is constantly adding homebrewing rules, creatures, magic items, and character classes. He has co-authored sourcebooks with and without WotC, including the massive Tal'Dorei Revisited sourcebook released just months ago under the OGL, so him being involved in the creation of Critical Role: the RPG is not out of the question. And Critical Role has frequently shot special episodes playing a huge variety of independent RPGs, some OGL and some not.

Then there's their strong partnership with a tiny corporation called Amazon for their very successful animated series. Their wide range of products sold through web stores in various countries. Their sponsors (including WotC themselves). A massive Twitch following and heavily viewed YouTube channel.

And Critical Role have made a consistent point of being an ethical organization. Them collaborating with WotC on a special deal while ignoring what is happening to so many other independents who have relied on the OGL would be a terrible look, even if they were inclined to do it.

All of which is to say that this is a real threat to happen, IMO. Either they produce their own thing, or they collaborate with other independents, or they cut a deal. I think they will have a huge impact on this controversy however they weigh in, one way or the other.

Vaalingrade

Legend

That's not the same as a community SRD though.

More likely, we'll have a number of community SRDs and OGLs.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases