Critical Role Could Critical Role launch their own RPG?

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
"Could"? Yes.

"Will"? No idea.

The former is trivial and not very interesting. The latter is speculation in the extreme--speculation with neither evidence nor precedent.

CapnZapp

Legend
"Could"? Yes.

"Will"? No idea.

The former is trivial and not very interesting. The latter is speculation in the extreme--speculation with neither evidence nor precedent.
What's interesting is that WotC is basically forcing every content creator to do the one thing they don't want them to do - pick another game for their new content than D&D One.

Critical Role doesn't necessarily need to make their own new game for this. They could also select any of the existing (non-OGL) games out there, or wait for the inevitable slew of D&D One competitors that will materialize at and around GenCon 2024...

wedgeski

Adventurer
Part of CR's appeal must surely be the ease and familiarity of the rules. That's the reason they moved from Pathfinder in the first place. I for one would lose some interest in the show if they started playing a rules-set that I wasn't playing regularly. (I can say for sure that I never would have been interested in it if they had continued with Pathfinder.)

Clint_L

Hero
They originally switched from Pathfinder to D&D because Geek&Sundry wanted D&D's much higher name recognition. That's still true, but now Critical Role has very high name recognition of their own.

Imagine a Kickstarter for Critical Role, the Roleplaying Game...

Last edited:

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don’t care what rules they use. I watch for the people involved and the stories they tell. If they switch to a non-d20 system I’ll miss seeing them light up when they nat 20. But that’s about it re: system and mechanics. Something lighter and more story focused is probably way better for their style anyway.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The OGL drama really has changed the calculus on this topic. It may be one thing to continue to use a rule system that's pretty easy, widely known by the audience, and all that. But it would sure be very hard to act as an outside ambassador for D&D right now.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
They originally switched from Pathfinder to D&D because Geek&Sundry wanted D&D's much higher name recognition. That's till true, but now Critical Role has very high name recognition of their own.

Imagine a Kickstarter for Critical Role, the Roleplaying Game...
But we also know their numbers go down when they play one/two shots in other systems.

Remove ads