Critical Role Could Critical Role launch their own RPG?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
There is a WotC seething right now.
Over a nothing statement from CR? Probably not. It gives no indication of plan, direction or even intention for the future. They could do exactly what they've been doing and that statement is appropriate. They could do no more D&D ever and that statement is appropriate.
They could switch to board games and that statement is appropriate.
It only has the meaning you want it to have.

Rarely have I seen so many words with so little substance. But the lack of content is part of the message. They are sitting on the fence, weighing their options, and waiting to see what happens.

There is a WotC seething right now.
Yeah I think so. Maybe it really is just empty PR drivel with no great significance. But the lack of any acknowledgment of their relationship with WotC combined with the "by the way, we also have a game company of our own; just mentioning that for no real reason" does make me think that they want WotC to think they might jump ship. Certainly it won't hurt their bargaining position the next time D&D Beyond sponsorship or whatever is being negotiated if WotC thinks they are also paying to lock them down to playing their game.

Synthil

Explorer
The statement says they stay with the people creating a new system and they believe having more RPG creators is good. How is it ambiguous?

They said something.
It's more PR speak than today's WotC post

It's mostly a non-statement. It's certainly not open support for WotC, though.

I think CR is stalling. More than even Hasbro is. CR have the issue that D&D Beyond (and therefore WotC/Hasbro) have been and, as far as I know, still are sponsoring their show. They may very well have non-disparagement and non-disclosure clauses in those sponsorship agreements that restrict what they're allowed to say.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Given their position and the stakes involved, I don't really have a problem with Critical Role issuing a very general statement and stalling. They're probably hoping that things will progress to the point where they don't have to burn any bridges. And I hope, given their position and influence, that they're engaging in some back channel diplomacy.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases