D&D 5E Could D&D Die Again?

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean, if you have one, you may as well post it here. Thread is still live.

Basically it's similar to my OP the movie tanks, One D&D tanks and what's going on with MtG gets worse.

Looking at the playtest packets intellectually I agree with the nerfs to say the -5/+10 feats. BUT I could also see a negative reaction.

D&D 5E is very popular they may have trained up a new generation of neo grognards. 2E and 4E were both in decline by the time the next editions landed.

So it's somewhat plausible there. If 5E is that popular changing it could potentially backfire.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Basically it's similar to my OP the movie tanks, One D&D tanks and what's going on with MtG gets worse.

Looking at the playtest packets intellectually I agree with the nerfs to say the -5/+10 feats. BUT I could also see a negative reaction.

D&D 5E is very popular they may have trained up a new generation of neo grognards. 2E and 4E were both in decline by the time the next editions landed.

So it's somewhat plausible there. If 5E is that popular changing it could potentially backfire.
And all I can say is, I think MtG is going to at least try to make things better, the movie already has relatively low expectations (it's a D&D movie, those are always crap, doesn't matter that this one looks super shiny), and predicting that "One D&D" tanks is circular, presuming the game will fail and thus concluding that the game will fail.

Is this scenario possible? Certainly. Almost anything is possible.

Is this scenario plausible? I don't really think so.

I suspect the movie will be fair-to-middling. It won't start a brand-new D&D film franchise nor collect award nominations, but it won't be a box office bomb either. It will simply be a movie. The only way it would tank is if it has some kind of absolute, unquestioned, knock-your-socks-off unbeatable competition. That's an unpredictable event--you can never know how well competing films are going to do until after they're already out in the world.

I suspect MtG will take some hard knocks, and require a few years to recover, and may not ever fully recover. But it won't go absolutely, unequivocally belly-up, totally-lost-cause either. If it dies, it will be a long, slow death.

And then, as stated, any amount of presumption about "One D&D" doing poorly is circular reasoning. We must simply suspend judgment, and observe what happens. If "One D&D" truly does absolutely, unequivocally tank--if it crashes and burns outright--then that alone is enough to say "D&D has died" by the standards you've presented in the thread (since you classify 4e as a "death" despite former WotC staff saying it did just fine financially.) If it doesn't fail spectacularly...then I just don't see D&D "dying" even by the loose standard you've given us.

Remove ads