D&D 5E Could the Sorcerer get a Shaman subclass

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I ask because

1) D&D Sorcerers were represented by the Shaman class in MtG

2) it's an popular archetype that is seen as insuffienty represented in the game, and this would allow for a very distinct kind of Shaman that doesn't step too much on the Druids feet.
Please, yes!

I remember playing NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer and using the Spirit Shaman class, which was the druidic equivalent to the sorcerer (arcane) and the favored soul (divine). I'd love a sorcerer who can swap its spells with the druid's spells list and focus on ''spirits'' (in 3.5 spirits were generally elementals, undead or fey).

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
On the one hand I feel like making it a Sorcerer Subclass would work fine... but on the other...

Shaman contains just -oodles- of concept. From spirit-speakers to runecasters to tribal priests.

I feel like it could use it's own class with subclasses, rather than just being one Shaman Aspect tied to the Sorcerer Chassis.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
On the one hand I feel like making it a Sorcerer Subclass would work fine... but on the other...

Shaman contains just -oodles- of concept. From spirit-speakers to runecasters to tribal priests.

I feel like it could use it's own class with subclasses, rather than just being one Shaman Aspect tied to the Sorcerer Chassis.
The theme of spirit is really badly covered in 5e. I think they could go the ''psionic'' way and make a spirit themed archetype for a few class to cover some of the trope you mentioned.

A spirit domain for cleric, a Spirit bound origin for sorcerer and maybe a Pact of Spirits for the warlock could go well with the most recent Bard archetype from VRGtR and the Spirit Barbarian.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Shaman's large enough it could be its own thing easily

You could get one working from the Sorcerer, certainly, but it could be expanded into its whole thing as while it touches on a lot of concepts, it doesn't fit into any of them easily

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I ask because

1) D&D Sorcerers were represented by the Shaman class in MtG

2) it's an popular archetype that is seen as insuffienty represented in the game, and this would allow for a very distinct kind of Shaman that doesn't step too much on the Druids feet.
I wouldn't read too much into the MtG label of "Shaman," thst basically just means "Red Mana caster" now. Alternatively, I'd day that the divine Sorcer could already themed that way. I'd think a Warlock of "the Spirits" would make a lot of sense, or an Artificer who focuses on talismans.

No. Shaman should be a druid. Shamans commune with nature spirits and are often known to shapeshift into animal form. That's a druid. In fact, in the real world shapeshifting is far more strongly associated with shamanism than with druidism.

And yet D&D Sorcerers in MtG were Shamans, which will likely hold true for CL: BfBG. I still don't get why beyond the fact that Shaman's are primary red caster class, Pyromancers are Shamans (but I think in one of the Planeshift articles they were a Sorcerer subclasses so it's like one if the few MtG shamans types along with Dreamshaper, Flamespeaker, and the ones in Strixhaven that feel more like Sorcerers then Elemental focused Druids).

I think if I was building a Sorcerer subclass, I'd give it many of the summon spirit x spells, which it can use extend spell metamagic.

There is unofficially is one in a sense, as the Pyromancer in MtG Planeshift articles are Shamans of Kaladesh, but they fit D&D Sorcerers more then they do with many other MtG shamans. Chandra is the key example of a Pyromancer, burn with the magic, like Sorcerer, but considered a Shaman. Yet Nessa is also a Shaman, but is more like a none shapeshifting Druid then Sorcerer.

I think Shaman's have the LEAST cohesive identity of any MtG class creature type.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases