D&D (2024) Could we get a Bloomburrow (Redwall) setting for 5.24?

Maenalis

Explorer
Am I the only one who would like a Bloomburrow (from Magic the Gathering) setting book for D&D 5.24?
I am a big fan of the Redwall books, Wind in the Willows and similar anthropomorphized children tales and of course Reepicheep from the Narnia books.
There are already a couple alternatives: Mouse Guard and Mausritter. Or Humblewood for 5e. Or Mice & Mystics the boardgame.

But nonetheless an official anthropomorphized small animal setting for D&D 5.24 would be an insta buy for me.

What do you think?

Vael

Legend
Ask me again after Bloomburrow comes out. Right now, I don't know enough about the world to know if I'd want to have a campaign there.

That said, yes, in principle, I would be down for an anthropomorphized small animal DnD campaign setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
I think it would be an excellent idea: I don't think it is coming out this year, unfortunately, and I don't know if Magic in D&D is something WotC still wants to do. Last year, there was a Monatrous Compendium for Eldraine put up for sale, and Eldraine would be perfect for a campaign Setting product, so I am not hopeful for this.

It would absolutely rule though.

Stormonu

NeoGrognard
I'm certainly interested in such a thing, though I do already have Humblewood (and Mouseguard, though that's Burning Wheel).

BTW, Chronicles of Ares also has something like this, though its not animal-only. I mention it because if there are others that do exist, I'd appreciate knowing about them :) .

Savage Species had got a long list of antropomorphic animals as PC races.

My opinion is Bloomburrow has been designed with the intention this to become a multimedia franchise. Isn't it very "family-friendly"? Even we could bet about a future a LEGO: Bloomburrow.

Meech17

WotC President Runner-Up.
Savage Species had got a long list of antropomorphic animals as PC races.

My opinion is Bloomburrow has been designed with the intention this to become a multimedia franchise. Isn't it very "family-friendly"? Even we could bet about a future a LEGO: Bloomburrow.
I'm not too sure about that.. Just from the fact that WOTC is really... Really bad at expanding on these sorts of things.

They have been apparently trying, and failing to get some sort of MTG movie or show off the ground for years.

The D&D Movie, Baldur's Gate 3, Descent into Avernus, and Commander Legends: Battle for Baldur's Gate were all spaced in a way that made it seem like they had no faith in any one of the products. They should have been an easy home-run for using four separate mediums to make Baldur's Gate and the Forgotten Realms a house hold name.

I think what it really is, is the fact that WOTC employs a ton of really creative designers and artists, and MTG has been in a weird space as of late, where they're just throwing whatever they can think of at the wall to see what sticks. The last two sets were Villainous Cowboys, and a Murder Mystery Clue Tie-In.

If this set is well constructed, and has a strong limited environment, and good cards for multiple formats, it'll be a huge success. Millennials seem to make up a big part of the core base for the game, and Redwall was super popular among them. I've never read the series myself.. Funny enough. I'm of the age, and I used to read a lot of fantasy, I just never got into Redwall.. But with that said a lot of people I know and interact with are suuuuuuuper hyped on this set.

With that said.. If it is a huge success, and sells like crazy.. I'd bet on WOTC failing to capitalize on it.

I guess WotC D&D-team is more focused into update the crunch. The creation of new IP is for Magic team.

Other point is if they are going to create a new PC specie, or only the same racial traits but with a different look.

The Magic wiki says there are: badgers, bats, frogs, mice, lizards, otters, rabbits, racoons and squirels.

And they are sentient animals, not humanoids with animal traits. This means they keep their original size. Do you remember any tiny PC specie in 5ed? And the size difference with monsters like ordinary predators (wolves, for example). A simple fox would be a serious menace.

1719601202424.png

The lore says if a humanoid travels to Bloomburrow automatically changes to an animal shape. This also should be a size change.

Maybe we could see some "Ral Zarek's Guide of Inhabitants and Creatures from Bloomburrow", but more focused to PC species and a short list of monsters.

Remove ads