Counters or minis?

mattb

First Post
Minis are great, but a pain in the hiney. They take a long time to paint and can be a pain to take with you. Heaven forbid if you scratch a mini you spent several hours painting. I use mini's and love them, but I also like the ease of the fre counters with Dungeon mag.

A2Z

Explorer
I really have to agree with graydoom. I like the idea of having legions of minis to do my bidding. However, my time and skill is sadly lacking in this area. :(

Counters are cheap and easy to make yourself even. Add in a battlemat and your good to go.

Storminator

First Post
I use both, and I've recently found that after painting a couple of dozen minis that I can paint most of a mini in an afternoon. When I started I never would have believed that.

But I also use counters. It's not easy (or very satisfying) to paint 2 dozen goblins, so counters round out the opposition nicely. I've also recently found a great way to store counters: in the craft section of Walmart I found the embroidery thread section. For storing your thread they make little ziplock bags with holes punched in them so you can run a ring thru them, and make a little binder of bags. Each counter goes in a bag, and suddenly I have a very nice way of storing the 450+ counters from the Counter Collection...

PS

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I use my own painted minis for my own characters, and my brother's old minis from 1e for monsters when I DM. Heroquest figures are great for other monsters and minis for players who don't have their own. I use counters for weird stuff, though, or if I run out of particular minis for groups of orcs or something...

Holy Bovine

First Post
Up until now I have used miniatures almost exclusively. I have about 3000 (that's not a typo) miniatures that i have collected over the last 20 years (I started collecting minis at the same time I started playing D&D).

I love miniatures but am probably the slowest painter on the planet - I joke that I'll leave my future kids my (mostly) unpainted miniature collection for them to finish :)

That being said I am considering adding the Counter Collections to my...ummm... collection. the reason? Mounted creatures. I can place the miniature on a picture of his/her mount and when the PC dismounts I still have a counter to represent the mount. Doesn't sound like it would happen often but I have a Paladin in the group and have a hard time keeping track of him and his horse!

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Counters: I can quite easily bring about 200 of them in ziplock bags, stored in a cigar case. Try bringing 200 mini's...

Rav

Quickbeam

Explorer
Rav said:
Counters: I can quite easily bring about 200 of them in ziplock bags, stored in a cigar case. Try bringing 200 mini's...

Rav

That's exactly what my buddy does each session...he looks like a pack mule when he arrives at the door :p !! Nonetheless, he's starting to include some counters to save the strain on his back and arms.

Remove ads