• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Counters or minis?

mattb

First Post
Minis are great, but a pain in the hiney. They take a long time to paint and can be a pain to take with you. Heaven forbid if you scratch a mini you spent several hours painting. I use mini's and love them, but I also like the ease of the fre counters with Dungeon mag.

A2Z

Explorer
I really have to agree with graydoom. I like the idea of having legions of minis to do my bidding. However, my time and skill is sadly lacking in this area. :(

Counters are cheap and easy to make yourself even. Add in a battlemat and your good to go.

Storminator

First Post
I use both, and I've recently found that after painting a couple of dozen minis that I can paint most of a mini in an afternoon. When I started I never would have believed that.

But I also use counters. It's not easy (or very satisfying) to paint 2 dozen goblins, so counters round out the opposition nicely. I've also recently found a great way to store counters: in the craft section of Walmart I found the embroidery thread section. For storing your thread they make little ziplock bags with holes punched in them so you can run a ring thru them, and make a little binder of bags. Each counter goes in a bag, and suddenly I have a very nice way of storing the 450+ counters from the Counter Collection...

PS

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I use my own painted minis for my own characters, and my brother's old minis from 1e for monsters when I DM. Heroquest figures are great for other monsters and minis for players who don't have their own. I use counters for weird stuff, though, or if I run out of particular minis for groups of orcs or something...

Holy Bovine

First Post
Up until now I have used miniatures almost exclusively. I have about 3000 (that's not a typo) miniatures that i have collected over the last 20 years (I started collecting minis at the same time I started playing D&D).

I love miniatures but am probably the slowest painter on the planet - I joke that I'll leave my future kids my (mostly) unpainted miniature collection for them to finish :)

That being said I am considering adding the Counter Collections to my...ummm... collection. the reason? Mounted creatures. I can place the miniature on a picture of his/her mount and when the PC dismounts I still have a counter to represent the mount. Doesn't sound like it would happen often but I have a Paladin in the group and have a hard time keeping track of him and his horse!

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
Counters: I can quite easily bring about 200 of them in ziplock bags, stored in a cigar case. Try bringing 200 mini's...

Rav

Quickbeam

Explorer
Rav said:
Counters: I can quite easily bring about 200 of them in ziplock bags, stored in a cigar case. Try bringing 200 mini's...

Rav

That's exactly what my buddy does each session...he looks like a pack mule when he arrives at the door :p !! Nonetheless, he's starting to include some counters to save the strain on his back and arms.

Remove ads