D&D 5E Counterspell Variant: More Specific, Lower Level

NotAYakk

Legend
I don’t think a spell that just gave a situational reaction attack would even be worth a 1st level slot.
The core of optimization in almost any version of D&D has been "tap the enemy more".

If you are in melee range with a spellcaster, they have to either (a) disengage, (b) suffer a reaction attack to move away, or (c) cast a spell.

Disengage usually requires burning their action. This ability closes down the (c) option. So you are upping your "tap count" by 1, or shutting an enemy down for a turn.

That is an insane effect for a 1st level spell slot, especially past low levels. I mean, 1st level slots for smite (9=2d8 damage) is considered a great use; a tap could easily hit or even exceed 2d6+18 (25) damage (20 stat, +3 item, +10/-5 feat, 2d6 weapon).

It does require using a spell known/prepared, but using the slot on it once you had it prepared would be obvious.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The core of optimization in almost any version of D&D has been "tap the enemy more".

If you are in melee range with a spellcaster, they have to either (a) disengage, (b) suffer a reaction attack to move away, or (c) cast a spell.

Disengage usually requires burning their action. This ability closes down the (c) option. So you are upping your "tap count" by 1, or shutting an enemy down for a turn.

That is an insane effect for a 1st level spell slot, especially past low levels. I mean, 1st level slots for smite (9=2d8 damage) is considered a great use; a tap could easily hit or even exceed 2d6+18 (25) damage (20 stat, +3 item, +10/-5 feat, 2d6 weapon).

It does require using a spell known/prepared, but using the slot on it once you had it prepared would be obvious.
Wrathful Smite adds +1d6, is less likely to get wasted or not be useful in a given fight, and a chance to make them Frightened for up to 1 minute if they fail the save.

Your hypothetical “only the attack” Smite would add a single weapon attack per round, on a situational basis, only in a fight with a caster. The end.

My proposed 2nd or 3rd level version would be an extra attack with a small damage boost, situationally, and a chance to counter a spell.

It’s also eating a known or prepared spot for a situational spell that won’t see any opportunity for use in entire combat encounters.

It also is more likely to go unused once cast than any other Smite style spell.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Spell-Bane Smite

DFDAFAF4-5EBA-4B94-A235-3627A3F1BA74.png

Not pictured is the at higher levels part. Just a basic +d6 per spell level above 2nd.

Remove ads