D&D 5E Counterspelling a ritual (spell).

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Seems pretty obvious, but thought I'd check if anyone thinks differently.

Counterspell says "You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell..."

So, it seems obvious that you can counterspell a ritual (spell) at any point from when the caster starts to just before the ritual is cast.

Thoughts?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Seems pretty obvious, but thought I'd check if anyone thinks differently.

Counterspell says "You attempt to interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell..."

So, it seems obvious that you can counterspell a ritual (spell) at any point from when the caster starts to just before the ritual is cast.

Thoughts?
Sure. And then the ritual starts over and the caster(assuming it's not Vecna) is out of a level 3+ spell slot.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Sure. And then the ritual starts over and the caster(assuming it's not Vecna) is out of a level 3+ spell slot.

Sure, but the Ritual Caster has lost time, and that MAY be enough depending on circumstance.

And if it is Vecna (which is what got me thinking about this) then the opportunities for him to scry and mess with a party (not even to kill them, just to mess with them and drive them batty) are just hilarious. Well for the DM, the players will probably start throwing dice at some point!

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Sure, but the Ritual Caster has lost time, and that MAY be enough depending on circumstance.
I can see that, but it will be very situational. Usually if someone in the group is doing a ritual in the first place, it's because they have a bunch of time.
And if it is Vecna (which is what got me thinking about this) then the opportunities for him to scry and mess with a party (not even to kill them, just to mess with them and drive them batty) are just hilarious. Well for the DM, the players will probably start throwing dice at some point!
I figured! That's why I said, "Unless it's Vecna." ;)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
I can see that, but it will be very situational. Usually if someone in the group is doing a ritual in the first place, it's because they have a bunch of time.

I figured! That's why I said, "Unless it's Vecna." ;)

One time I can see an regular caster doing this:

Group is in enemy territory and gets complacent because they are SO used to Tiny Hut.

Group gathers for the night and has the caster cast Tiny Hut. DM makes a point of asking if armor off etc.

Then at the last moment hidden caster counters the Hut and the baddies attack, giving the PCs a nice shock and a wakeup call.

Frankly, it IS a bit too involved (I mean the baddies could just attack before it's completed anyway), but I was thinking about "shock value."

Now, of course, if it IS Vecna - then he just messes with the group and Tiny Hut, Rope Trick etc. just don't seem to work - and the group likely has no idea what's going on.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
One time I can see an regular caster doing this:

Group is in enemy territory and gets complacent because they are SO used to Tiny Hut.

Group gathers for the night and has the caster cast Tiny Hut. DM makes a point of asking if armor off etc.

Then at the last moment hidden caster counters the Hut and the baddies attack, giving the PCs a nice shock and a wakeup call.

Frankly, it IS a bit too involved (I mean the baddies could just attack before it's completed anyway), but I was thinking about "shock value."

Now, of course, if it IS Vecna - then he just messes with the group and Tiny Hut, Rope Trick etc. just don't seem to work - and the group likely has no idea what's going on.
Why would they take their armour off before the Tiny Hut is up?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
An interesting thing about scrying is the more you do it (and are successful), the more you get to know about the target from observing them, and the harder it is for them to make the saving throw.

Since Vecna can only scry twice a day, he has a good chance of getting a successful scry at least once per day.

The timing would have to be pretty good, though, to mess with them during a ritual since you can only scry for 10 minutes at a time.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
An interesting thing about scrying is the more you do it (and are successful), the more you get to know about the target from observing them, and the harder it is for them to make the saving throw.

Since Vecna can only scry twice a day, he has a good chance of getting a successful scry at least once per day.

The timing would have to be pretty good, though, to mess with them during a ritual since you can only scry for 10 minutes at a time.
I would not limit Vecna to the statblock. If he is willing to devote more resources to scrying then he can but then I would also give the party ongoing chances to notice the active scrying.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases