Crazy Idea: Using the Disease Track for Skill Challenges

Morandir Nailo

First Post
Yeah yeah, another crazy skill challenge post - sorry! This just popped into my head and definitely needs fleshing out (I'm sure you more math-minded folks will also want to run your computer simulations), but I figured I'd post it anyway.

Anyway, it seems to me that the biggest problem with skill challenges as presented is that they're binary: you either succeed in convincing the Duke, or you don't; or, the trap is disarmed, or goes off. There's no room for partial success, and if the first three players fail their rolls, then that's it - the other guys don't even get a chance to mitigate the situation.

Instead, you could have a track, like a disease, which the DM puts together when designing the skill challenge. You'd have a neutral slot, and then one or more slots in each direction, depending on how hard you wanted complete success to be. Start at the neutral position, and each success or failure pushes you in the appropriate direction on the track. Whatever position you end up on after everyone has made their rolls is the end result. It could be a complete success or complete failure, but it could also be somewhere in between. If at the end of the "round" you're in the neutral position, you go another round; talks have hit a stalemate and must continue.

You would then have two DCs: one for success (moving to the right along the track), and one to maintain current status. Failing that, you move to the left. This could add another layer, as you could raise or lower the "maintain" number to make the challenge easier or more difficult.

I'll try to provide an example (I'm making this up as I go though):

My PCs are going to be exploring some catacombs soon, and I've decided to add a skill challenge. In one tomb they'll encounter a small creature examining a sarcophagus. He will be more than willing to let the PCs open the sarcophagus, but when it becomes apparent that they cannot, he'll offer to help - for an exorbitant share of whatever loot they find. The goal then is to convince him to help in exchange for a more reasonable share.

Success means he'll do so for a reasonable share; failure means he leaves, and the PCs get no treasure. The twist is that the creature has with him the means to open the sarcophagus: a block and tackle setup which he has stashed behind the sarcophagus for the time being, while he examines the carvings. If they convince him to help, he'll bring it out and use it; if they don't, he'll show it to them as he teleports away.

So, I set up a five-step track. In the middle of course is neutral. The ends are complete success (he brings out his gear and shares like a good boy), or complete failure (he takes his gear and leaves). In between, I have partial successes. On the failure side, I have him attack because negotiations break down; they get the treasure, but have to fight him (and he's a tough little SOB). On the success side I have him help, but as the sarcophagus opens he snatches the most valuable-looking bit of loot and teleports away; the PCs don't have to waste resources, but they get a smaller share of the treasure. So the track looks like:

Teleport<>Attack<>Neutral<>Theft<>Full Cooperation

I want this to be fairly easy, so I'll set a DC of 20 for success and 16 to maintain. This means that a trained character will need a 10 (assuming 4 stat, 5 trained, 1 level - PCs are lvl 2) to move things in the right direction, and will keep things from getting worse on a 6. A character using an untrained skill will need a 15 and 11, respectively. (making these numbers up here, based on the numbers needed to stave off Filth Fever, as per the MM Rat entry).

The PCs then make their rolls as normal, with the predetermined results.

...that turned out to be longer than I thought it would be! So, anyone have any thoughts? Does this even make sense? And (most importantly), does anyone feel like doing the math to see if this would work?

Mor

Szatany

First Post
It sounds like a really cool idea. The other day I was DMing a skill challenge and it really feeled...dry. Compared to combat, SCs are quite boring. Do you think sample table or two could be created for each skill? Like sample progress for climbing or pick locking that can be adjusted on the fly by DM during a game session.

Raven Swords

First Post
I Love this idea, I can't stand skill challenges as they stand - they feel so forced.

Fail<Negative<Neutral>Positive>Success
Fail<Negative<Negative<Neutral>Positive>Positive>Success

Defiantly need to work out a DC table

eloquentaction

First Post
I Love this idea, I can't stand skill challenges as they stand - they feel so forced.

Fail<Negative<Neutral>Positive>Success
Fail<Negative<Negative<Neutral>Positive>Positive>Success

Defiantly need to work out a DC table

I like this idea!

What about Aiding another, helping skills, and possibly a critical failure / critical success track?

To expound upon your example, the track is set up:

Critter Leaves<Critter Prepares to Leave<Critter gets Frustrated<Neutral>Critter seems interested>Critter lowers his cut>Critter lowers cut to reasonable level

Main Skill: Diplomacy -> DC: 20, Hold: 15, Critical on 20, Crit Fail on 1
Alt Skill: Intimidate -> DC: 25, Hold: 20, Critical on 20, Crit Fail on 1-2

Helper Skill: Intuition, DC: 20. Gives +2. Max 2 helpers.

Critical Success Track: 2 Critical successes required.
Fall back to normal track<Critter at reasonable cut>Critter gives a bonus item>Critter gives bonus item and advice about a trap in area

Crit Success Skill: Diplomacy -> DC: 25, Hold: 20.
Alt Crit Success: Intimidate -> DC: 30, Hold: 25.

Critical Failure Track: 1 Crit Fail.
Critter Attacks<Critter Threatens<Critter Angry(START)>Critter Upset>Back To Neutral on normal track

Main Skill: Diplomacy -> DC: 20, Hold: 15.
Alt Skill: Intimidate -> DC: 25, Hold: 20.

Helper Skill: Intuition, DC: 20. Gives +2. Max 2 helpers.

Tell me what you guys think?

-- Hirahito

Azurecrusader

First Post
I have toyed with this idea before as well. I like it overall, but there are a few problems:
1. It has to be on a set timeline, if you leave this open ended then it could go on forever as the players succeed and fail and potentially remain largely at neutral.

2. In the end it really isn't all that much different that the current system: let's say you end up with 3 failures, but 2 successes in the current system when you needed 4 successes. In that case, you could easily say that you had a partial failure of some sort. Basically, you can translate your successes and failures into a track fairly easily as is.

3. The big change between this and the standard system is that you can dig yourself a hole that you can't get out of. In the base system (or any of the changes out there really), you can fail 2 times but still end up succeeding fully at the challenge. In a disease track like system, if you dig yourself into the failure region, you're probably stuck there.

Just my observations. I still like it better than the base system though as long as the rules remain fairly simple.

Morandir Nailo

First Post
I have toyed with this idea before as well. I like it overall, but there are a few problems:
1. It has to be on a set timeline, if you leave this open ended then it could go on forever as the players succeed and fail and potentially remain largely at neutral.

2. In the end it really isn't all that much different that the current system: let's say you end up with 3 failures, but 2 successes in the current system when you needed 4 successes. In that case, you could easily say that you had a partial failure of some sort. Basically, you can translate your successes and failures into a track fairly easily as is.

3. The big change between this and the standard system is that you can dig yourself a hole that you can't get out of. In the base system (or any of the changes out there really), you can fail 2 times but still end up succeeding fully at the challenge. In a disease track like system, if you dig yourself into the failure region, you're probably stuck there.

Just my observations. I still like it better than the base system though as long as the rules remain fairly simple.

Very good points there. You're absolutely right about partial successes; a DM could very easily make a partial success ruling with the system as-is. I just feel that the rules don't really make this as clear as it should be, and that the Disease Track serves as a good illustration of what I'm getting at.

I'm not so sure that digging yourself into a hole is a huge issue (though it is something I hadn't thought of); really good rolls could just as easily push you in the opposite direction. So long as failure doesn't derail the adventure, it really shouldn't matter. Failure should, instead, make the adventure harder, without making it impossible.

For instance: in my example the PCs, if they fail the challenge utterly, cannot open the sarcophagus; however, there's no reason that they cannot go back to town, buy their own pulley setup, and come back. One way or another they're going to get into that box, but succeeding at the skill challenge will save them a heck of a lot of trouble.

Definitely some good stuff to think about here. I'm going to run this as I have it set up in the first post tomorrow night, and I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Mor

Azurecrusader

First Post
Looking forward to hearing back on how it went.

My one basic question is still out there though: What are the "end conditions" of a skill challenge like this? Are you going to be setting a number of rounds, setting a number of total roles, or something else?

Morandir Nailo

First Post
The idea ATM is that the skill challenge ends after one round (meaning everyone has acted once) so long as the result isn't Neutral; if it's Neutral, they keep going until it isn't. The actual in-game time spent on the challenge should be up to the DM.

Mor

Remove ads