• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Creating a Lost/Ruined City

jgsugden

Legend
Check with the mayor of Detroit... Bazinga!

There are a lot of ruined city ideas out there. Google-fu will bring them to you - but I would suggest avoiding random encounter tables. You're better off designing some flexible encounters that have some nuance and using them periodically if the party needs that fight to up the action than to feel like you need to just throw some monsters at them just because the dice say so. It allows you to add more detail to the encounter so that the setting of it can give the encounter some personality, rather than just being a toss away event.

Also, see the Similar Threads box at the bottom of this page...

the Jester

Legend
Dwellers in the Forbidden City should give you what you need in terms of a map, an interesting locale, a good setup and a variety of factions in the various parts of the city. It's an awesome module from 1e, in case you don't know. Customize to taste.

Gilladian

Adventurer
Thanks for lots of GREAT links and ideas! I'm going to read Dwellers in the Forbidden City tonight and see what it can inspire in me.

The climate/terrain is that of upstate New York and Pennsylvania - cool temperate hills and forest. I'm going to create random encounter tables, but I will also create a whole set of mini-encounters that showcase the flavors of the area.

This is the actual text that I had written, as much as 25 years ago, when i originally conceived of the Barrens:

Deadlands: The northeastern third of Umade's Barrens is the least damaged region, and is known as the Deadlands because while it is beginning to recover, that which dwells there is not healthy nor fertile. Many undead creatures walk here, the lingering remains of the ancient armies which fought so bitterly here. (This region is closest to a dwarf/human kingdom called Harothar, and sees some explorers and adventurers)

Umade's Barrens: This once fertile and rich land is now barren, nearly soil-less, blasted waste. The High-Priest Umade centered his Devastation spell here at the end of his war against the rebels. Now the land is slowly making a recovery. Gradually the mixed temperate deciduous and coniferous forest is returning to the edges of the blasted realm. But in the heart of the waste twisted plants and creatures still dwell. The ground around the very center of the blasted zone is always hot, a curious metallic odor hangs in the air, and sulfurous yellow fogs rise frequently from the otherwise dry soil. (Ruins 35 is the city of Edimal, and 36 is Kahakor, Umade's central stronghold. Ruin 54 is another lone tower of unknown feature).

What I imagine today is that there are several dozen smaller ruins scattered across the region, as well as the two city ruins. The center of the region, which is not far from the capitol city of the 2nd Empire - Kahakor - is indeed still a smoking, toxic ruin. Remaining in the city of Kahakor for more than a few days or at most a couple of weeks, would not be healthy for any creature not born there. But the wealth to be found could easily support a large group of adventurers for many decades.

I also will create a rival adventuring band, perhaps a couple of them, and at least 3 groups of "resident bad guys" who will be dwelling, scavenging, and defending, as well as perhaps raiding "outside" the Barrens.

I also will create a rival adventuring band, perhaps a couple of them, and at least 3 groups of "resident bad guys" who will be dwelling, scavenging, and defending, as well as perhaps raiding "outside" the Barrens.

You gotta have your "Hills have eyes" clan in this. Sounds like a great start. Wizardawn has some cool ruined city geomorphs for those areas that you don't feel like drawing out.

Sailor Moon

Banned
Banned
Ooooooo I love creating and reading about other's ruined city creations.

Everyone herr has given some sound advice. Really check out the old material such as boxsets, supplements, and adventures. Here are a few I recommend.

Ruins of Myth Drannor boxset.
Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxset.
Ruins of Adventure.
Undermountain material.
Lost Empires of Faerun.

When I think of more I will post them.

With regards to random encounters. My advice is to make sure the creatures actually fit the area and their locations. I always hated the adventures where you had a Mind Flayer in one room and a Dragon in the next. Remind me again why they never bumped in to each other and one killed off the other?

Will Doyle

Explorer
Parlainth, mentioned previously, is a great ruined city setting. It solves the "where do we spend our loot?" problem by featuring a section of the outer ruins that has been taken over by adventurers - a sort of gold rush town with gambling dens, taverns, and the like.

I've run a few homebrew lost city adventures since, and I always feature something similar.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads