D&D 5E Creating a new character tonight... First in 3 years!!!

BookTenTiger

He / Him
For the goblin paladin, I was thinking... are you familiar with the character "Hup" from The Dark Crystal (the newer netflix version)? That could be a good RP inspiration :)
Ha! That would be fun.

Right now I'm starting him off as "Reluctant Hero." We rolled for some random Boons and Banes, and I wound up with an eye infection! I love the idea of this Goblin Paladin with an Eye Infection rolling into town and knowing that people are not going to take him seriously.

I sketched out Plucky Honorbound.

Attachments

• Plucky Honorbound.png
    Plucky Honorbound.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 72

Voadam

Legend
The last first level D&D character I made was for a Goodman Games 5e Keep on the Borderlands campaign. I had decided to be a cleric and I rolled randomly for race and got dwarf. The DM had a background from his prior campaign world that continued through to this one with one set of the Dwarves who followed Karlsbad Marxhammer and his Little Red Scrolls, so I became a LG Dwarven communist "rune smith" with the life domain. "You don't need gods. Anyone can learn rune [clerical] magic, it just takes a couple decades of study and apprenticeship." I wielded a hammer and throwing sickle. I gave from my ability to heal to those who needed healing. It was great fun.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Ha! That would be fun.

Right now I'm starting him off as "Reluctant Hero." We rolled for some random Boons and Banes, and I wound up with an eye infection! I love the idea of this Goblin Paladin with an Eye Infection rolling into town and knowing that people are not going to take him seriously.

I sketched out Plucky Honorbound.
LOVE the sketch, and the eye infection bit is hilarious...

... but can a paladin ever be a reluctant hero? If there is a class that would be driven to adventure... perhaps I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

... but can a paladin ever be a reluctant hero? If there is a class that would be driven to adventure... perhaps I didn't quite understand what you meant.

There are some who hear the calling, and enthusiastically chase it, and those who are thrust into the role, whether they like it or not.

BookTenTiger

He / Him

A first-level paladin doesn't have too many supernatural powers, so I like the idea that Plucky knows some healing arts from his training as a knight. As he grows in power, I plan on him gaining more self confidence and realizing that he really can be a hero. I think it'll be a fun journey!

Jmarso

Adventurer
The last new character I created for 5E was for a Rime of the Frostmaiden campaign.

Went with a human fighter, northman/ outlander background. Herger the Joyous, like the character from the 13th Warrior. Did the Variant Human version and took Skilled, and gave him proficiency with thieves' tools, sleight of hand, and stealth- almost as good as taking a dip into Rogue. (Rannulf slept with her, while we stole the horses!) Been having a blast with that 'boring' archetype, too. He rode the back of the Chardalyn dragon, helping to slay it Skyrim/ Dragonage style, and has done other heroic things other just than "I attack." Although he does a lot of that, too, with Action Surge, Savage Attacker (Champion), and Luck. He tends to be the party 'brain' and tactician as well. Hasn't run from a fight yet, and has survived them all! (Somewhat miraculously.)

Y'all can have your half tortoise, half tabaxi, half dragonborn, half tiefling vampire spawn warlock with the noble background who was raised by goblins in the forest with an emo half koala-bear winged warg for its best friend. ;) Back in medieval times we were fighting men! And we liked it!

Pass the mead! It's made from honey!

Last edited:

The last character I made (over a year ago now!) was for a short-lived game. He was a high elf diviner wizard, in search of his missing children. (Lost in a magical accident, and divinations were unclear about their fate.) I might trot him out again if I join a game as a player.

Other concepts I have rattling in my head include:

- A dwarf thief (or maybe arcane trickster) rogue, who did time serving her land as an infiltrator, but whose career led to estrangement from her family.

- A half orc or orc totem barbarian (probably either bear or wolf), who chose exile from his home rather than risk the safety of his kin by challenging new and malicious leadership.

- A human paladin (devotion most likely) who seeks to avenge her family's destruction by a dragon and reclaim her father's sword. Classic do-gooder.

- An elven, half-elven, or possibly a hobgoblin druid (thinking moon at the moment), who after many years of being responsible for training their circle's neophytes, has been sent out, to their discomfort, into the world.

- A human battlemaster fighter, noble background, wields two weapons, might multiclass into rogue. Is something of a scoundrel and has daddy issues (his dad is a total jerk). Starts the campaign in it for the money and the thrill seeking, but I expect would grow over time.

The last first level D&D character I made was for a Goodman Games 5e Keep on the Borderlands campaign. I had decided to be a cleric and I rolled randomly for race and got dwarf. The DM had a background from his prior campaign world that continued through to this one with one set of the Dwarves who followed Karlsbad Marxhammer and his Little Red Scrolls, so I became a LG Dwarven communist "rune smith" with the life domain. "You don't need gods. Anyone can learn rune [clerical] magic, it just takes a couple decades of study and apprenticeship." I wielded a hammer and throwing sickle. I gave from my ability to heal to those who needed healing. It was great fun.

One player in the game I'm running is a halfling bard preaching the word of Karlsberg Marxburrow. My favourite memory of his shenanigans is trying to convince the lizardfolk in Hoard of the Dragon Queen to set up an anarcho-syndicalist commune. But he didn't speak draconic, so he was getting my late wife's character (an expy of Alanna from the Tamora Pierce books) to translate. (I pictured her doing a lot of eye-rolling.)

BookTenTiger

He / Him
Update:

Plucky Honorbound, Goblin Paladin, has survived 1st Level!

At 2nd Level I suddenly gain a ton of spells (I took the Blessed Warrior fighting style, which gives me two cleric Cantrips) and Smite. He's still a cowardly goblin, but now I'm saying he uses the mantras he learned as a Knight of the Golden Hart to gain brief moments of bravery!

I'm still using a lot of Stealth, though! Guidance + Stealth = basically a Rogue?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases