• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

creating a tavern full of traps.

Theone0581

First Post
Hey guys, tomorrow's game will consist of my players going through a tavern full of traps and such. However, I don't want to put in the long hours if something of similar taste has been generated already. Do you guys know if there's a source that I can find that contains a tavern or a house that is completely rigged? Thanks.

Ragmon

Explorer
I got nothing specific, but I know of some books that could help.
- Book Of Challenges (D&D 3rd)
- The Book Of Taverns (S&S)
- Grimtooth's Traps - all the books (Most awesome traps ever conceived EVER)

I think if you combine these then you will have a really deadly tavern.

On another line if you ever played Dungeons and Dragons Online, there is a level 12 or 15 level dungeon with interesting ideas. Like:
- Drinking contest against beholders.
- A key that moves really fast, which you need to pen the doors to the kitchen, that turns into a demon once you get a hold of it.
- Zombie meat stuffs in the kitchen and the bugbear cook (who helps you fight the zombies).
- A hellhound and its pups in the freezer.
Ah fun times.

grodog

Hero
Hey guys, tomorrow's game will consist of my players going through a tavern full of traps and such. However, I don't want to put in the long hours if something of similar taste has been generated already. Do you guys know if there's a source that I can find that contains a tavern or a house that is completely rigged? Thanks.

Your concept immediately reminded me of The Safe House in Milwaukee, although it's not really trap-filled so much as spy-genre-filled: http://www.safe-house.com/

Doesn't sound like a successful business theme, if you're the tavern owner. It'd be hard to keep and make money off of customers.

I could see this working well in a Sanctuary-like town on a crossroads, perhaps, where the locals know the traps (which couldn't generally be lethal, really, otherwise I agree that the business would fail, even in a world of magical healing, raise dead, and regeneration): something like Greenwood's "Assassin's Run" in Dragon 64, but with a bar theme.

Nytmare

David Jose
Doesn't sound like a successful business theme, if you're the tavern owner. It'd be hard to keep and make money off of customers.

I was imagining an abandoned, middle of nowhere tavern that kobolds had taken over where they could lure unwary travelers in with a crackling fire and the smell of a warm meal.

aglondier

Explorer
Trap filled tavern? Hmmm...A PC's mum is present, and he hasn't written to her in months, and she needs the garbage taken out...A PC's mother-in-law is present, and is very disappointed in his drunken behaviour...A PC's liege-lord/high priest/teacher/master is present and is very disappointed in his drunken behaviour...A PC's one-night-stand from a year ago is present...and is dumping their child on him...A handful of extremist cultists are present and identify a PC as the living incarnation of their God...The beer is very strong...Four of a PC's ex-girlfriends/wives are present, and don't know about each other...Four of a PC's current girlfriend/wives are present, and don't know about each other...

Stormonu

Legend
I was imagining an abandoned, middle of nowhere tavern that kobolds had taken over where they could lure unwary travelers in with a crackling fire and the smell of a warm meal.

"The Lonely Road? Guys, I think this is the tavern the guy at the crossroads told us about."

"I dunno Pete, the patronage looks a little ...hammered."

"Personally, I think the guy in the corner's been maced."

"I'm not sure I trust a hooded, midget barkeep with a lisp asking me 'What's yer poison'."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads