D&D 5E Creating some undead themed spells for a PC

Oxylepy

First Post
So, my fiancee likes the idea of summoning undead and is playing a Necromancer Wizard. Honestly 5e is not kind to this play style so I'm reskinning a few spells for her (Evards Black Tentacles as skeletal hands and a necromancy spell).

Regrettably the whole horde aspect of older editions is and I wanted to give her a spell of weak speedbump undead. So, I came up with this but need help figuring a level for it:

Brittlebone
Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 2 (1d4)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 8 (-1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 (+0) INT 6 (-2) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 5 (-3)
Damage Vulnerabilities bludgeoning
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 9
Languages understands all languages its creator knows but can't speak
Challenge 0 (10 XP)
Actions
Claw Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target . Hit: 1 (1d4 - 1) slashing damage.

Swarm of Bones
necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (shards of bone)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You summon up to eight brittlebones which appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range. Each crumbles when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends. The summoned undead are friendly to you and your companions. Roll initiative for the summoned undead as a group, which has its own turns. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action required by you). If you don't issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, but otherwise take no actions. The DM has the creatures' statistics.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of ___ level or higher you can summon up to 4 more brittlebones for each slot above ___ level.

aco175

Legend
I would think that creating one of them is a 1st level spell. You could add 3 each level if cast as a higher level spell. So, if cast as a 3rd level spell it would make 7 of them. They are weak and do little damage, but having 7 extra bodies to make an attack and get attacked instead of having you get attacked seems kind of more powerful than a 3rd level spell.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Seems good, but I would change the spell so that when you cast it at certain caster levels, the brittlebones become a slightly more powerful undead.

Quickleaf

Legend
So, my fiancee likes the idea of summoning undead and is playing a Necromancer Wizard. Honestly 5e is not kind to this play style so I'm reskinning a few spells for her (Evards Black Tentacles as skeletal hands and a necromancy spell).

Regrettably the whole horde aspect of older editions is and I wanted to give her a spell of weak speedbump undead. So, I came up with this but need help figuring a level for it:

Brittlebone
Medium undead, neutral evil
Armor Class 12
Hit Points 2 (1d4)
Speed 30 ft.
STR 8 (-1) DEX 14 (+2) CON 10 (+0) INT 6 (-2) WIS 8 (-1) CHA 5 (-3)
Damage Vulnerabilities bludgeoning
Damage Immunities poison
Condition Immunities exhaustion, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 9
Languages understands all languages its creator knows but can't speak
Challenge 0 (10 XP)
Actions
Claw Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target . Hit: 1 (1d4 - 1) slashing damage.

Swarm of Bones
necromancy
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V, S, M (shards of bone)
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You summon up to eight brittlebones which appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range. Each crumbles when it drops to 0 hit points or when the spell ends. The summoned undead are friendly to you and your companions. Roll initiative for the summoned undead as a group, which has its own turns. They obey any verbal commands that you issue to them (no action required by you). If you don't issue any commands to them, they defend themselves from hostile creatures, but otherwise take no actions. The DM has the creatures' statistics.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of ___ level or higher you can summon up to 4 more brittlebones for each slot above ___ level.

To gauge the power of this, I'd use conjure animals (3rd-level spell) and reverse engineer from there...which it looks like you did...

[SECTION]You summon fey spirits that take the form of Beasts and appear in unoccupied spaces that you can see within range. Choose one of the following options for what appears.

• One beast of challenge rating 2 or lower

• Two Beasts of challenge rating 1 or lower

• Four Beasts of challenge rating 1/2 or lower

• Eight Beasts of challenge rating 1/4 or lower

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using certain higher-level Spell Slots, you choose one of the summoning options above, and more creatures appear - twice as many with a 5th-level slot, three times as many with a 7th-level slot, and four times as many with a 9th-level slot.
[/SECTION]

To extrapolate this pattern, if you had a 1st-level version on conjure animals, it would be reasonable to expect it to summon half as many creatures as the 3rd level spells... for example Four CR 1/4 creatures or Two CR 1/2 creatures.

However, because force multiplier is more potent at lower levels, I'd recommend reducing it to Four CR 1/8 or Eight CR 0.

So, I'd peg your spell Swarm of Bones as 1st-level.

Li Shenron

Legend
I'd start at 1st level but with 4 brittlebones only, then +4 per additional spell slot level.

But another option is to boost them up a bit, then start at 1st level with 2 brittlebones, and +2 per spell slot level. Because it's understandable that she wants a lot of them, but keep in mind that when they are really many, the whole combat can slow down significantly.

Oxylepy

First Post
Thanks for the input so far!
Now I'm breaking down each of the undead in 5e and wanted to see what you think of this piece for Flameskulls

Flame Skulls

A flame skull is composed of the skull of a deceased spellcaster, brought back to life to act as a magical guardian. As a default it follows the directions which are carved in the bone of the skull, however failing that they become free and attempt, as animated dead, to destroy any living thing they encounter, in the absence of living things they will engage in habitual behavior typical of the mage they were made from.

The construction of a flameskull begins with the skull of a spellcaster, preferably at least one year dead, stripped of any flesh. Often the head cavity will be opened and any contents emptied out. From here the skull is inscribed with the directions it is to follow, in intricate detail, often using the cavity and jaw as additional room to etch directions. It is of vital importance that the additional dust and broken pieces be gathered, otherwise the creation can fail. The interior of the skull should be rinsed with a combination of water from the river Styx, and unholy water From here two crimson rubies, of value in excess of 1000gp, are set into the skull, one in each eye. Additional pieces of dust and debris from the skull should be placed into the head cavity along with a large piece of quartz crystal, preferably enough to fill the cavity. Each ruby is to have continual flame cast upon it, and the quartz is to have fly or levitate cast upon it. After this is completed, a salt circle is poured around skull, and the spell create undead is to be cast upon the skull. At this time the skull will animate, if done correctly, and begin following its instructions. You will be able to see that the spell has worked, as the skull will explode with flame, scattering the salt in all directions and breaking the circle. If this fails, do not break the circle, you may have summoned the specter or ghost of the caster, which is why it is suggested that the caster be dead for a sufficient period of time first. It is of vital importance that you acquire the aid of an exorcist, if you break the circle the spirit will escape and possibly manifest.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
To extrapolate this pattern, if you had a 1st-level version on conjure animals, it would be reasonable to expect it to summon half as many creatures as the 3rd level spells... for example Four CR 1/4 creatures or Two CR 1/2 creatures.

However, because force multiplier is more potent at lower levels, I'd recommend reducing it to Four CR 1/8 or Eight CR 0.

So, I'd peg your spell Swarm of Bones as 1st-level.

I disagree with this. 3rd level spells are attained at 5th level. 5th is a huge jump in power as the characters enter Tier 2. 3rd level spells are powerful and change the way the game is played.

They aren't merely twice as good as 1st level spells.

Danse Macabre is a 5th level spell. Create Undead is 6th level.

Creating undead, even for a short period of time, should be at least 3rd level.

Oxylepy

First Post
I disagree with this. 3rd level spells are attained at 5th level. 5th is a huge jump in power as the characters enter Tier 2. 3rd level spells are powerful and change the way the game is played.

They aren't merely twice as good as 1st level spells.

Danse Macabre is a 5th level spell. Create Undead is 6th level.

Creating undead, even for a short period of time, should be at least 3rd level.

See I agree and disagree with you. So, the purpose in the quoted post is to use already existing spells to establish a base line. We also already have find familiar and unseen servant at this level. This allows a weak summon of a neglegable cr at 1st level, and both of them have a a long time for which they are summoned.

Now, here is where I do agree with you, this spell exists to act as a form of entangle, which is a first level spell, however for these summons (most summoning spells) we don't see them until 3rd level. I was pretty sure everyone would say 2nd or 3rd level to me because of access to some form of summon, even just minor cannon fodder, and/or to adjust the spell. Now I'm trying for something more 2nd level anyway, as at first level I feel it would be stupid not to take this spell (which is a seriously unbalanced spell if everyone needs to take ot because it's so good for the level).

In my last post on flameskulls I mentioned that I am creating information on all the undead. And the creation of a basic undead (zombie and skeleton) is described as requiring unholy water and false life, which should be enough to infuse necrotic energy into the body to animate it. Now this isn't something which the creator controls, but it is a created undead. The control aspect on the animated dead entry requires the same as creation for one made by the caster, and only one, and only lasts for 24 hours, otherwise dominate person is required.

Now I haven't finished all this or posted it for review, however in my mind that's fair, even for a 1st level caster (although the information is written by an npc and could easily involve the undead making a save)

ad_hoc

(they/them)
You underestimate the power of speedbumps.

There isn't much difference between 1hp, 5hp, or even 10hp. What matters is that they require an attack to get through. This matters when there are a lot of them.

Summons are at 3rd level because they are game changing.

If you really must have a summon at a lower level then it shouldn't be for more than 1 creature. 8 creatures is completely out of the question.

Oxylepy

First Post
And now we're getting constructive with the idea. I can definitely get behind 1 at first level, 8 at 3rd and bump it to on par with a familiar. And the idea that it is on par, based on the 3rd level spell, with a 1st level spell (half of half of the 3rd level spell) and that it would be silly not to take it at first level would make the spell broken and in need of adjustment, a simple band aid of reducing the number wouldn't fix it either as it would be too weak for the slot (not on par with find familiar)

Remove ads