• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Creative Exercise - Veragea

Andor

First Post
No swords in war?

Just a note to the proposer of the setting, if black powder muzzle loaders are the extent of firearms technology, then the sword should still very much be a weapon of war. Though pikes are more likely.

Cavalry charges (with swords) were still viable military tactics, as was the bayonet charge up untill the advent of the machine gun in WW 1. Until you have cartridge weapons you simply cannot lay down a fast enough rate of fire to invalidate a melee weapon charge.

Even the best of the best at using muzzleloaders vs Melee weapons (IE The british square) still lost to the sword weilding Zulu, though not to many others.

Under the setting restrictions I see no reason why military developments would not mirror ours so Musket and Pike rule the battle fields while Cavalry gets all the glory.

The centaur tribes are enjoying renewed interest in their services as mercenaries. Their distaste for heavy armour has always made them ineffective as heavy cav. They have found a new role however as their brute strength makes them very effective as artillery men who can haul their own cannon out of combat and reposition them much faster than humans in combat.

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
great way to derail a thread people! Out of the 10 post only 4 are actual contributions I wonder if all those who have posted NON-contributions could consider editing their words to something constructive!

Arkhandus

First Post
I'd rather see if the thread's instigator was really being serious, because we have significant doubts as to that. The fact that some of the initial rules don't make much sense is at least partial proof that this is either a ploy, or just poorly thought out/summarized. And aye, there are several movies (and more written evidence) that possession of Renaissance-era or Colonial-era firearms does nothing to eliminate swords from warfare, it just makes them a bit more secondary for the riflemen/musketeers, but still viable for cavalry forces and guerilla forces at least. And for ship-to-ship fighting, cuz you can't very well take over a ship just be shooting wildly with cannons and muskets. At some point you'll either sink the ship (and lose the loot) or have to commit boarding actions, which will get many of your men slaughtered if you don't have close-in weapons like cutlasses.

Nonetheless, fine, I'll contribute something minor for the moment.

The nation of Veragea is the largest of those around the continent's center, and thus very important in the plots of the two larger nations gearing up for war on either side of Veragea.

Andor

First Post
Errmm. I'm not doubting the originators intent, nor did I intend to stomp on the thread, just pointing out something I felt to be important to the world. I did edit my earlier post, and it was less than 5 ago so I can't add anything new, but I do want to cheer on new posters.

Incidently I don't see anything wrong with high fantasy where human magic is limited/non-existant. It just set's up the magic vs technology conflict.

rbingham2000

Explorer
John Cooper said:
Out of curiosity, are we to draw any conclusions from the fact that "Veragea" is "average" with the "a" moved from the front of the word to the back?
It came from the Rinkworks fantasy name generator. The fact that the name just happens to be "average" with one letter moved is purely coincidental. Make of that what you will.

As for my contribution:

Arkhandus said:
The nation of Veragea is the largest of those around the continent's center, and thus very important in the plots of the two larger nations gearing up for war on either side of Veragea.
The King of Veragea does not want Torech and Imyth, the two rival countries, to go to war with each other because his ancestor made an alliance with both countries some years back. Veragea mainly supports itself by trade with these two countries, and the prospect of having to play middleman between two warring countries is none too settling for the king, nor the prospect of having to choose a side in the war.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
I'll just bump this thread once in case the originator of it is serious and wants more contributions. Off of third page with you, *punt*

Remove ads