D&D 5E Creature attacks, magical or non-magical

Yardiff

Adventurer
Besides the creatures attacks description in its stat block, is there somewhere that lists whether a creatures attacks are considered magical says for the proposes of bypassing Heavy Armor Mastery's 3 damage reduction.

aco175

Legend
I'll cut off some others by saying in your game you can have whichever creatures you want bypass whatever you want. This may not help you so much. I thought if a creature had DR to non-magical weapons that it could hit like it has magical weapons. Most likely this is a house rule though.

I think that the feat DR has no get-around. The PC that takes it gives up something else for this power. It comes up in fights at the expense of the other 2 pillars of play.

dave2008

Legend
Besides the creatures attacks description in its stat block, is there somewhere that lists whether a creatures attacks are considered magical says for the proposes of bypassing Heavy Armor Mastery's 3 damage reduction.

No, whether a monster's attacks are considered magical or not is listed in the traits section (before the actions) of the stat block. That is the only place as far as I know.

However, there is a strange lack of creature's with this feature, which leads strange situations like werewolves being immune to attacks from other werewolves. But fortunately it is easy to add.

Celebrim

Legend
Generally speaking, the rule in past editions was that the creatures attacks were considered magical weapons of sufficient puissance to overcome its own damage resistance. In 1e AD&D there was also a table by HD for what damage resistance that a creature could automatically overcome based on the size and strength implied by its HD.

Yardiff

Adventurer
So 5e doesnt have anything that talk about whether a creatures attacks are considered magical? I've seen on some of the fiend stat blocks (traits section) where it mentions that the weapons used by the fiends are considered magical, but haven't seen anything about claws or such lists as magical. I haven't looked through that much of the MM though.

MarkB

Legend
So 5e doesnt have anything that talk about whether a creatures attacks are considered magical? I've seen on some of the fiend stat blocks (traits section) where it mentions that the weapons used by the fiends are considered magical, but haven't seen anything about claws or such lists as magical. I haven't looked through that much of the MM though.

It's not that it doesn't talk about it - if a creature's attacks are considered magical, it'll say so. It's just that most of them aren't.

Example from the Unicorn in the MM:
[SECTION]
Magic Weapons. The unicorn's weapon attacks are magical.

Actions
Multiattack. The unicorn makes two attacks: one with its hooves and one with its horn.

Hooves. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 11 (2d6 + 4) bludgeoning damage.

Horn. Melee Weapon Attack: +7 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage.
[/SECTION]
Hooves and Horn are considered weapons for the purposes of the "Magic Weapons" trait.

Keep in mind that any creature that can wield a weapon can be given a +1 dagger or whatever to make it's attacks magical. Don't want the PCs to get hold of those? It might be that the goblin guards all have +1 goblinoid shortswords which only act magical when attuned by a goblinoid. Or a beast might have a magical collar that grants magical properties to its attacks, but loses its powers when removed from said beast. Etc.

FWIW, here's the complete (I think) list of official WotC monsters (with type, CR, and source) that possess this "Magic Weapons" trait:

Stone Giant Statue Construct 0 SKT
Merrenoloth Fiend (yugoloth) 3 MTF
Couatl Celestial 4 MM
Nimblewright Construct 4 WDH
Flesh Golem Construct 5 MM
Mezzoloth Fiend (yugoloth) 5 MM
Reduced-Threat Flesh Golem Construct 5 TftYP
Tomb Guardian Construct 5 ToA
Unicorn Celestial 5 MM
Spiked Tomb Guardian Construct 6 ToA
White Abishai Fiend (devil) 6 MTF
Air Elemental Myrmidon Elemental 7 MTF