• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Crisis on Infinite Subraces! Suggest a plausible subrace that doesn't exist

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's 1991.

TSR comes to you and tells you, grim-faced, that the company is in dire financial trouble.

But they have figured out a solution: The kids love subraces. What AD&D needs is new subraces. Dozens of them.

So, what do you come up with? Without making joke subraces, how many new subraces can you come up with? Bonus if you make them truly compelling.

Quickleaf

Legend
Human, Deepsdweller – recovered skum (aboleth servant), freed captive of a marid, raised by merfolk as a child

Human, Recovered Vargouille – weird hair and bat ears, packs a nasty bite, just don't lose your head

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
My home setting has Valley Dwarves, dwarves that are the opposite of Mountain Dwarves.
  1. They live aboveground instead of under mountains
  2. They have a Queen instead of a King
  3. They craft with wood instead of stone
  4. They drink wine instead of beer
  5. They wear light leather or cloth armor instead of heavy metal armor
  6. They are dextrous instead of strong
  7. Their skin ranges from tanned orange to dark chocolate brown
  8. Their hair is bright. Naturally light brown, red, or blonde. And they love colorful dyejobs and highlights
  9. They wield spears and swords.
  10. They have bad Valley accents over bad Scottish ones.
Still hate gobliniods and giants. Still get drunk. Still mine. Still respect craft.

Other Dwarves tolerate them because they use a loophole of developing a resource expedition to collect and craft with quality wood (Like BETTER THAN ELVES. Ugh) and leather and outposts in the war against giants

Last edited:

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
the arcane dragonborn: dragonborn with greater connection to a dragon's innate magic giving them the ability to reshape their breathweapons to reproduce other magical effects such as elemental summons or barriers

glacier dwarves: dwarves who have turned their stonemasonry skills to icecarving and established their homes in frozen halls

Dragonborn subraces based in moon and solar dragons, the lungs, the cobra dragon, the ferrous dragons..

Goliaths from no-core giants: reef, sand, jungle..

An updated and playable version of the centaur-kin, the ha'pony, gnoat or dorvesh...

The update of the saurian shifters. And why not shifters with werevernim ancestors?

The wood and metal genasi.

Moon and stelar spiritfolk?

Cybertrontouched warforged. Incarnum-infused warforged.

Autogoblin, the evil cousin of the autognomes.

Plasmoid subrace from luntum(mud-women) ancestor, the ultimate monster girl.

aco175

Legend
My home setting has Valley Dwarves, dwarves that are the opposite of Mountain Dwarves.
  1. They live aboveground instead of under mountains
  2. They have a Queen instead of a King
  3. They craft with wood instead of stone
  4. They drink wine instead of beer
  5. They wear light leather or cloth armor instead of heavy metal armor
  6. They are dextrous instead of strong
  7. Their skin ranges from tanned orange to dark chocolate brown
  8. Their hair is bright. Naturally light brown, red, or blonde. And they love colorful dyejobs and highlights
  9. They wield spears and swords.
  10. They have bad Valley accents over bad Scottish ones.
Still hate gobliniods and giants. Still get drunk. Still mine. Still respect craft.

Other Dwarves tolerate them because they use a loophole of developing a resource expedition to collect and craft with quality wood (Like BETTER THAN ELVES. Ugh) and leather and outposts in the war against giants
I call these people- elves.

There should absolutely be Tabaxi Subraces based on things like cheetah, snow leopard, tiger, etc.
Like these people, just add an O or A to the animal- lion-o, panthro, cheetara, not sure where Snarf come from.

1700319996297.png

Remove ads