• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Crisis on Infinite Subraces! Suggest a plausible subrace that doesn't exist

ichabod

Legned
Subraces for Warforged, for ones designed for different tasks. Like Scoutforged, Calvalryforged, maybe even Protocolforged?

Firbolg subraces for different terrain.

Lizardfolk subraces for chameleons, geckos, and other odd lizards.

Snapping tortles.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
For my "I'm not actually trying to design this, it's just ideas I have" pseudo-heartbreaker, I wanted to go for giving every race four subraces, except humans where I was only able to justify three.

0. Human aka "wanderfolk": Earthfast, Starbound*, and Dual-Blooded (covering all the various half-something hybrids.)
1. Belua aka "beastfolk": Minotaur, Tabaxi, Lupin, Cervid. A people defined by their diversity of form, while still being one species.
2. Dragonborn aka "drakefolk": Imperial (city), Austral (desert), Tropical (jungle), Littoral (coastal/waterside.)
3. Dwarves aka "stoutfolk": Gold (mountain), Copper (forest), Tin (ocean), Iron (cavern.)
4. Elves aka "feyfolk": Sun/eladrin, Moon/(wood) elf, Star/drow, Void/shadar-kai.
5. Forgeborn aka "metalfolk": Warforged, Envoy, Archivist, Sower.
6. Halflings aka "hinnfolk": Lightfoot/arboreal, Stoutheart/plains nomads, Cragstep/caves, Ghostwise/deeps.
7. Orclings aka "stormfolk": Orc, Goblin, Hobgoblin, Bugbear. A similar diversity of form to belua.
8. Planetouched aka "pithfolk": Aasimar/celestial, Tiefling/fiendish, Genasi/elemental, Deva/astral.
9. Satyrs aka "mirthfolk": Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter.

*"Earthfast" would cover literally all IRL humans and their fantasy equivalents. Humans that live on ordinary, Earth-like planets or planes. "Starbound" is for things like slann/elan: humans Weirded™ by exposure to the eldritch powers of the far reaches of space or otherwise made a bit alien by various energies, while still being properly human.

I would have liked to come up with a fourth human option, but I racked my brain for hours and hours and never hit on anything interesting, let alone passable given the many, extremely fraught implications.

Remove ads