D&D 5E criteria for new races to be added to the PHB

gyor

Legend
1. We (humans) are the only intelligent lifeform that we know of.

2. Roleplaying (acting) is difficult enough to do when you are simply RPing a complicated person that is not yourself.

3. Other races in D&D (and other games) tend to consist of two things:
a. A collection of mechanical bonuses/abilities; and
b. A bunch of stereotypes, either written as lore or generally known, that you play into.

4. As such, people generally choose races for their mechanical benefits, and then roleplay those races horribly as some sort of exaggerated human. "Oh look. It's a dwarf. Guess we'll see a pseudo-Scottish accent, and love of beer and/or rocks."

5. Given that people have difficulty RPing humans (which at least they have a wealth of models for), I would suggest that most people try to RP a human well before they branch out into terrible caricatures.

....better? ;)

No.

Hussar

Legend
Nitpicking Your Nitpick. That is a book published in 2018 way after Greyhawk was not supported. DEATH TO GOBLINS! DEATH TO TIEFLINS. DEATH TO JASPER. DEATH TO DRAGONBORN. DEATH TO DROW!.

:erm:

How is supporting a setting somehow not supporting a setting? While, yes, GH has lain somewhat fallow for a while, apparently, at least this once anyway, they have published something that supports the setting. There's no best by date for settings. It's not like there's some magic cut off date.

Never minding all the support Greyhawk got from Dungeon and Dragon magazines while they were in print under Paizo. TONS of GH goodness there.

jasper

Rotten DM
That this sidebar in Ghosts about setting in Greyhawk was the author telling the DM to be nice with the players running strange races. Since Greyhawk had a hard good/evil vibe, gee there a demon looking critter coming down main street. Lets kill it. Um No it a PC so we must be nice to it.
hahahhaha just read lowkey13 comment. SPOT ON .

That this sidebar in Ghosts about setting in Greyhawk was the author telling the DM to be nice with the players running strange races. Since Greyhawk had a hard good/evil vibe, gee there a demon looking critter coming down main street. Lets kill it. Um No it a PC so we must be nice to it.
hahahhaha just read lowkey13 comment. SPOT ON .
Tiefling Okay Boomer.gif

gyor

Legend
Au contraire.

The "best-by date" for a setting is 1983.

If you use a setting after that, expect to find lumps floating around, off-putting smells, and Dragonborn.

I tell ya, I once took pounded some Greyhawk I grabbed out of the fridge without looking, and I nearly gagged on a Tiefling.

I nearly Gagged on a Tiefling? that sounds so, so dirty.

gyor

Legend
1. We (humans) are the only intelligent lifeform that we know of.

2. Roleplaying (acting) is difficult enough to do when you are simply RPing a complicated person that is not yourself.

3. Other races in D&D (and other games) tend to consist of two things:
a. A collection of mechanical bonuses/abilities; and
b. A bunch of stereotypes, either written as lore or generally known, that you play into.

4. As such, people generally choose races for their mechanical benefits, and then roleplay those races horribly as some sort of exaggerated human. "Oh look. It's a dwarf. Guess we'll see a pseudo-Scottish accent, and love of beer and/or rocks."

5. Given that people have difficulty RPing humans (which at least they have a wealth of models for), I would suggest that most people try to RP a human well before they branch out into terrible caricatures.

....better? ;)

Not of these address my points or their logic, its just a critism of Roleplayers, which is a whole unrelated can of worms. No one is going to remove the none human races from the PHB until everyone is roleplaying up to the high standards of Lowkey, so its a none starter.

Remove ads