• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Critical Role removes hundreds of YouTube videos and podcast episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint_L

Hero
I’d push back on environmentally friendly - especially with the content as service models most often employed now. Digital takes power to operate,and rare metals (lithium batteries, etc), and often major infrastructure upkeep for internet services and content servers. In many pricing models the digital content you purchase can go away if the platform you purchased it on ever goes away.

I’d suggest digital is only theoretically more durable but in practice it just faces different durability issues. I’ve probably had the same number of hard drives go bad as books whose spines break down or were damaged with water or heat.
When I'm discussing digital, I mean the content itself, not the medium. Hard drives, DVDs etc. are already old tech. Most of the books I have bought over the past ten years only exist as data; the only physical media is the e-reader, of which I've had two. I recently donated over a thousand CDs; there's just no need for them in the era of streaming and they took up a ton of space.

If Sam Jackson ever become controversial it’s game over as he’s in everything
I enjoyed Brian’s between the sheets and his western 1 shot. Between the sheets was really interesting as it really detailed how they all met etc so hopefully some of that gets remade into some other format etc. he really brought out the non gamer side of their lives
Clearly he wants the money to continue from it and the company has sought legal help.

Staffan

Legend
When I'm discussing digital, I mean the content itself, not the medium. Hard drives, DVDs etc. are already old tech. Most of the books I have bought over the past ten years only exist as data; the only physical media is the e-reader, of which I've had two. I recently donated over a thousand CDs; there's just no need for them in the era of streaming and they took up a ton of space.
Where, exactly, do you think the material is streaming from? "The cloud" is just a fancy way of saying "someone else's hard drive."

I can't help but think of the old skit where a politician kept saying that it was no big deal that an oil tanker had had its front fall off and spill oil, because it had been towed out of the environment.

Sometimes I wish people would read what I typed rather than what they think I typed. I'm not arguing that physical is superior. I abandoned my record player for the casette, my cassette for the CD, and then my CD for digital. Like most technology, digital it has its advantages and its disadvantages and I would argue the former outweighs the latter. If you don't think getting rid of content is a problem, well, okay, you don't think it's a problem. I consider this kind of thing one of the drawbacks of going digital.
I agree with you. So many shows are spread out over multiple mediums that you buy the hard copy or you pay a premium to watch or it’s not shown at all

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
There is much more tech involved than just a e-reader involved. How did that book get created in digital format and how did it get to your e-reader?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads