Crocodile mummies

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Forgot smething off the greater croc mummy - latest version is attached. Also fasolasuchus mummy :LOL:

Attachments

• giantcrocmummy.png
    giantcrocmummy.png
    600.8 KB · Views: 130
  • fasmummy.png
    fasmummy.png
    663.2 KB · Views: 185

Cleon

Legend
crocmummy-jpg.257039

Okay, regarding the Crocodile Mummy I'm wondering whether it need their AC and Rotting Bite tweaked a bit.

A regular 5E Mummy has an AC slightly better than a human of the same stats (a DEX 8 human is AC 9, while a Mummy is AC 11), so I'm thinking a mummified crocodile might similarly be slightly harder to injure than a living Crocodile. Maybe AC 13 or 14, with AC 15 or 16 for the Giant version and Fasto?

The regular Croc Mummy appears to have lost the necrotic damage from its bite and only does necrotic damage from the associated curse.

Also, it's missing a comma and shouldn't it say "crocodile mummy" rather than "crocodile"?

Like so:

Rotting Bite #1. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the crocodile mummy can't bite another target. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 14 (4d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​

However, I'm wondering whether it shouldn't do the same amount of rotting damage as a regular Mummy, since it's basically the same monster in crocodilian form and I'm not sure why it would carry a stronger curse. I can understand why that'd be the case for the Giant Crocodile Mummy, but it seems a bit odd for the smaller version.

If it carried an identical curse to a standard Mummy, its bite would become:

Rotting Bite #2. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 15 (2d10 + 4) piercing damage plus 10 (3d6) necrotic damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 14). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the crocodile mummy can't bite another target. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 10 (3d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​

That's still works out to around Challenge 4 and I think I like it a little better.

Cleon

Legend
giantcrocmummy-png.257358

For the Giant Crocodile Mummy, I reckon the bite and tail should both do the same amount of necrotic damage, but if I plug my original suggestion of 6d6 necrotic damage into the CR Calculated it comes out to around Challenge 14, not the CR 10 of your version as you'd left out the 21 points of necrotic damage from each attack.

If we reduce the damage to the as a regular Giant Crocodile plus a 4d6 necrotic damage curse, it comes out to Challenge 11 (7,200), which is close enough in that at least it's within the +4 Proficiency Bonus range:

Rotting Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 23 (3d10 + 7) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 19). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the giant crocodile mummy can't bite another target. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 14 (4d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​
Rotting Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 16 (2d8 + 7) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature it must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. In addition, the creature must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 14 (4d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​

It'd be easy enough to make it Challenge 10 by reducing the number of Hit Dice.

If it had Hit Points 161 (15d12 + 75) the CR Calculator says it's CR 10.

EDIT:
Just noticed a slight error.

The SRD Giant Crocodile either has double proficiency in Stealth or single proficiency with an arbitrary +3 bonus, suggesting a Giant Crocodile Mummy should have Stealth +6 or +5 rather than +4.

I prefer Stealth +5 to match the living version.
/EDIT

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
fasmummy-png.257359

Okay, I'd favour the same AC increase and HD decrease as the Giant Croc Mummy proposals above.

That is, Armor Class 15 or 16 and Hit Points 184 (16d12 + 80).

It's got the Giant Croc's movement speeds, a Fasolasuchus is faster on the ground.

Maybe Speed 30 ft., swim 15 ft.?

Shouldn't it be DEX 10 (+0) rather than 9 (–1) since the other mummies have Dexterity two lower than the living version?

That'd give it the Stealth +4 it's listed with.

As for the Actions, the bite and tail need the same damage tweaks as the Giant Croc, and its Death Shake should carry the rotting curse too.

Oh, and it should have "fasolasuchus mummy" rather than "crocodile".

Like so:

Rotting Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 5 ft., one creature. Hit: 23 (3d10 + 7) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, and the target is grappled (escape DC 19). Until this grapple ends, the target is restrained, and the fasolasuchus mummy can't bite another target. If the target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 14 (4d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​
Rotting Death Shake. If the fasolasuchus mummy has grappled a target smaller than itself with its jaws it can savagely shake its head. The grappled creature must make a DC 16 Constitution saving throw, taking 16 (2d10 + 5) piercing damage plus 16 (2d10 + 5) slashing damage and 28 (8d6) necrotic damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. In addition, the creature must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 14 (4d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​
Rotting Tail. Melee Weapon Attack: +11 to hit, reach 10 ft., one creature. Hit: 16 (2d8 + 7) piercing damage plus 14 (4d6) necrotic damage. If the target is a creature it must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. In addition, the creature must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with mummy rot. The cursed target can't regain hit points, and its hit point maximum decreases by 14 (4d6) for every 24 hours that elapse. If the curse reduces the target's hit points to 0, the target dies, and its body turns to dust. The curse lasts until removed by the remove curse spell or other magic.​

I think that's everything and, if I'm reading the CR Calculator right, still comes to Challenge 10.

Casimir Liber

Adventurer
Belatedly finishing the descriptions..

for crocodile mummy:

"Crocodile mummies are mummified remains animated by ancient necromantic rituals to serve as guardians in funerary or religious complexes. Like human mummies, they are bound in linen enchanted with dark magic, however they lack intelligence and free will, functioning more as automata like skeletons or zombies."

(doesn't really need to say anything more does it?)

Cleon

Legend
Belatedly finishing the descriptions..

for crocodile mummy:

"Crocodile mummies are mummified remains animated by ancient necromantic rituals to serve as guardians in funerary or religious complexes. Like human mummies, they are bound in linen enchanted with dark magic, however they lack intelligence and free will, functioning more as automata like skeletons or zombies."

(doesn't really need to say anything more does it?)

The wording seems a bit clunky. How about:

Mummified crocodiles animated by ancient necromantic rituals as guardians of funerary or religious complexes. Like human mummies, these remains are bound in linen enchanted with dark magic. However, crocodile mummies lack intelligence and free will, functioning as undead automata like skeletons or zombies.​

Remove ads