• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cross-gender PCs

Fallen Seraph

First Post
*Nods* Same here, I have a character concept for a Fate-oriented twist of a Starlock/Rogue character (being DM haven't played it yet). Where to try and get as far away from her fate and destiny she has altered almost everything about her including the gender she is perceived as.

I've had an actual transgender character in one Vampire campaign (he was currently still mortal) who became the interest of a Tzimisce since the Tzimisce found the whole process of becoming a new person without using Fleshcraft to be quite intriguing.

T-Bone JiuJitsu

First Post
I dont think I've ever had a rule against it, but to me it's just odd to have a grown man sitting across the table trying to put forth a female persona.

As DM, I often have to play a female PC, more out of necessity than desire to do so. So I guess on those occasions, I'm the grown man sitting across the table playing the female persona.

I just never really fantasized about being a chick. Sure, I've often wanted to be Lara Croft, Tomb Raider... like being in the situations and locations that she's been in. The hot chick part, not so much.

Sometimes when I would play Street Fighter II at the local arcade, I would play Chun Li. But I never spoke to the person playing against me as a high pitched young asian girl.

That said, I have in the past had friends play female characters. To each his own (or her own).

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Interesting points here. So what is the correct term for what I meant by cross-gender PCs? I wasn't sure before I posted, so any edification would be appreciated.

I guess the thing that struck me the most was the very strong correlation of guys who were playing girls and people who were not fun for anyone to play with (I later found out it wasn't just me getting annoyed by them). With the exception of one such player, it was 100% of a decent-sized sample set. I have a hard time dismissing it as mere coincidence.
-blarg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Its just a fact of life that there are some pretty creepy and pathetic people in our hobby...and in every other hobby, too.

I wouldn't be surprised if some, if not all, of those players you're talking about have difficulty not wearing out their welcome in game group after game group.

If they don't, they're probably in a group of similar-minded individuals.

The real question is whether the good players who play PCs against gender type are the majority or the minority.

In your convention, clearly, the majority were the losers. In this thread, the majority seem to be pretty cool people (if I may say so myself).

What is the reality? Without a truly scientific poll and/or other research, we simply can't know for sure.

TwinBahamut

First Post
With the exception of one such player, it was 100% of a decent-sized sample set. I have a hard time dismissing it as mere coincidence.
Just remember that "the group of people you played with at a convention" is nowhere close to being a decently-sized sample set, unless you played something like 200 games at that convention. The fact that you went into the con with having previously established a rule against cross-gender RPing may have affected your observations and ultimate conclusions, as well.

You had a lot of fun with one person who did a good job of playing a character of the opposite gender. That should be proof enough that it isn't inherently bad.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
I'm always stunned when this thread topic comes up on the Enworld.

In every game I've ever played there has been cross-gender player or more at the table. It's never been a problem.

Encounter so many posters with the same gender rule always leaves me scratching my head.
This.

blargney the second

I wouldn't be surprised if some, if not all, of those players you're talking about have difficulty not wearing out their welcome in game group after game group.
That makes sense. I could easily see those guys being ostracized to the point of not having a place to game regularly, which is actually kind of sad. At that point, being attracted to cons is quite logical.

blargney the second

Just remember that "the group of people you played with at a convention" is nowhere close to being a decently-sized sample set, unless you played something like 200 games at that convention. The fact that you went into the con with having previously established a rule against cross-gender RPing may have affected your observations and ultimate conclusions, as well.

You had a lot of fun with one person who did a good job of playing a character of the opposite gender. That should be proof enough that it isn't inherently bad.
Yeah, I realize that it's not a statistically valid sample set size. Even so, the correlation still set off my pattern recognition software. I'd simply thought "wow, that guy's a wanker" a few times over the con and on the last day realized that every instance of wankerness corresponded to a cross-gender player.

FWIW, the no cross-gender rule is one I borrowed from a very good DM about 10 years ago. I still haven't decided if I'm giving it back or not. :)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads