Crossed Paths, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarval

Explorer
"You're right, we've not got much to loose by putting one or two of our cards on the table." Brioc says in reply to Marcus and Dhormium. "I'll ask about Sergius, the spear, and see if I can make one or two other discreet enquiries as well."

He turns back to the sphinx with a smile.

"Could we perhaps trade information? We have had quite a lot of contact with some of the groups that inhabit this complex, and the people of the surrounding lands above. We might be able to give you some snippets of information that you are perhaps yet to uncover yourself. Does this sound agreeable?"

Manzanita

First Post
Sphinx

"Oh. What sort of stuff do you know? And what sort of stuff do you want to know? I'm interested in the means of ingress to the older parts of this complex. I know some, but don't know others."

She pauses and licks her paws, holding them spread out. Perhaps it is just a coincidence that holding them in this way shows the party the strength in her arm and just how long and sharp her claws are.

"There are other things I want here, that are no convienent for me to get myself. Perhaps you could fetch me another trifling item, in return for the information you want."

doghead

thotd
Marcus of the Roma.

Marcus nods in agreement with Brioc's decision. As Brioc addresses the Sphinx, Marcus watches the sphinx, curious and somewhat amazed. She must be a fair way from home if there is any truth to the stories.

Jarval

Explorer
"There are a few things we would like to know. Has an orc by the name of Sergius passed through here, or been heard of around these parts? And we have been told that this complex contains the tomb of Alexander. Is this true?" Brioc asks the sphinx, studiously ignoring her threatening gesture.

"As for what we can tell you, we have had a good deal of contact with the lizardfolk and the gnolls, and have information pertaining to the strength of both groups. We have investigated the area surrounding two of the entrances to this complex, and have dealt with some of the creatures that guard them. We may also be willing to do some mapping of the complex for you, if you so desire."

Manzanita

First Post
The Sphinx

"The tomb of Alexander the Great? I think not. However, it is interesting that you ask about him, as I am very interested in that period myself. As you may know, the fall of Greek civilization in this area corresponds to Alexander's disapearence. I believe this is a mere coincidence, but in any case, after his disapearence, one of his generals, Menaleus, by name, returned from India by this route. Stopping here, he visited the city state of Crimea, the ruins of which you currently occupy. He brought certain gifts with him, intending to make a favorable impression on the ruler, one Agamemnos. By chance, perhaps, it was when the General was visiting that the beastmen servents chose to revolt, killing the King, the general, and augering the end of Greek domination of the peninsula."

"History can be fun. But you can't live on it, now can you. I am very interested in obtaining one of the gifts Menaleus brought for Agamemnos. I also think I know where he is entombed. If you would be willing to procure this gift for me, I'm sure there would be other things there to make it well worth your while."

"As for this half orc. I was aware of his presense. He has not returned, to my knowledge. The strength of the lizardmen and gnolls are not of great interest to me. They pose no threat."

doghead

thotd
Marcus of the Roma.

Marcus keeps his face neutral, but has a sinking feeling that the sphinx seeks what they do. The gift of Menaleus, Marcus suspects, was none other than the greek fire. Be careful what you promise, Brioc.

Jarval

Explorer
"Ah, an interesting insight that. Apparently I was a little misinformed about the nature of this place. No matter." Brioc says calmly. "As for this gift of Menaleus that you seek, we would need to know what we were looking for before we gave our word on any bargain. After all, it could be a dangerous item that you seek, or it could be guarded by forces and magics of great strength."

Gods, I'm little use at this. He thinks, watching the sphinx closely. I'm a priest, not a diplomat. I pray that this goes well.

Manzanita

First Post
The Sphinx

"Ah, yes. Still smarting over just what that potion was, aren't you? Well. In this instance, I think your mage would be able to discern the nature of this book I want, so I'll go ahead & tell you what it is. It is called a tome of clear thought. It can increase the perception of the reader if read correctly. It is a very powerful magic item, and one of particular interest to me. Before I would tell you where to locate it, I would insist on all of you giving your word to return it to me without reading it. And don't think I won't know if you take it for yourselves. I have ways of finding things out, and you would have to plan on sleeping with your eyes open for the rest of your short life."

doghead

thotd
Marcus of the Roma, male human, kinda on the skinny side.

Marcus decides that the sphinx is so far from home 'cos they finally had enough of her down in Egyptia and kicked her out. Personally, Marcus thinks she might be better of with The tome of Winning Friends. But what does he know, he's just "a scruffy Romany without a place to call home", as one town guard once put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads