Crow Eating thread

Reynard

Legend
I was excited for some new game engines.
But back to derivative copies of 5e with tiny tweaks because that's where everyone makes their money.

And I guess this means we won't get a new edition of D&D, it will just be 5e forever.

Such a shame, I've lost all interest.
This has nothing to do with the premise of the thread, and in fact operates directly against it.

mcmillan

Adventurer
I really thought Hasbro/WOTC would have a hard line of a new license that they could have more control, so backing down on OGL 1.0a and releasing more under CC was a big surprise. I still think once One D&D comes out we'll see something like the d20 Trademark License, but with the survey being that overwhelming I'm not as certain anymore.

Matt Thomason

Adventurer
I just wanted to say: I was completely wrong. I did not believe WotC would ever back down.
I don't think anyone expected they would. The only difference was where people had their red lines for "making a deal", and that's mostly based on where people could draw them.

Many 3PPs just wouldn't be able to continue, and certainly couldn't trust the deal wouldn't be changed again, so had far tougher red lines. For some of us, the trust is now gone anyway where the OGL is concerned, and we're looking to move towards alternatives. I will say that I will now feel okay about buying a WotC product again, but I will opt to create under alternative licenses where it's possible.

GreyLord

Legend
I just want to say...

THANKS to the community and to everyone that participated in the survey. Just as much to all those who took action.

I think this may still have ramifications on the community for years to come, but I am glad it turned them around in their course.

Without all the people that voted with their wallets, without all those who participated in the survey, without all those who spoke out and fought to change the minds of those trying to push through the OGL 1.1 (2) this would not have happened.

It is only because of them (or so I believe) that this turned out as it has.

So, whether you are eating crow or not, if you helped in the push, Thanks!

SoonRaccoon

Explorer
I thought WotC was dead set on killing the OGL 1.0a. Never in my dreams did I imagine they'd not only back down from everything they were trying, but would capitulate by giving us even more by releasing the SRD under CC-BY.

I did suggest releasing the entire SRD under CC-BY, but only to underscore that we no longer trusted them to keep their promise under the OGL.

Crow never tasted so good. :)

Remathilis

Legend
Indeed. Two big takeaways here:
1.) WotC tried to get rid of the OGL, and could do so again.
2.) We managed to stop them by banding together, and could do so again.

Don’t trust corporations. Don’t underestimate the power of well-adopted boycotts.
I think the third takeaway is that there will be another challenge to it. Eventually. Nothing is forever. We will have to do it again. And we might not be as lucky. But we defended it for now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases