• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crown of the Kobold King

WarShrike

First Post
Spot check (1d20+8=25)

Azog cautions the others: "Careful lads, this room is littered with bones. they're everywhere. Now they may be old ones, but we wont know until we examine a few, so stay sharp." Azog edges his way into the cathedral towards his left (south i assume), keeping close to the wall at all times. As a disturbing reminder, he remembers the webbed hanging corpse in the orphanage ruin, and searches the cieling. He also makes it a point to examine each alcove before crossing it.

"Be wary of that altar as well. Even long forgotten gods retain some power in their places of worship."

WarShrike

First Post
"Simply put, the doors were open a bit. Regardless of what this room was long ago, it could have become the lair of some beast. Like the one that tore that woodsman up in the courtyard."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I do not know much about animals or nature, but why would an animal drag the bodies back into this place and not drag the one outside in? The kill was old enough to give the creature time.

Corpseflower

First Post
Turn follows Dimlez with his lantern. The alchemist kneels to examine one and notices quite a variety among the remains. There are humanoid bones, but also animal and small humanoids. From where you are some of them look quite old, but others are more fresh with dried shreds of ligament still attached. While kneeling you catch sight of a small body between the pews, but further up closer to the alter.

From the south wall Azog notes two spiraling staircases in the east corners leading up to a hallway with a balcony that overlooks the chapel. At an angle you can see that the altar is draped with thick chains.

Azog: Spot 21 (13+8)

Only Azog sees this, but I'm not going to Sblock it.
Edging further along the wall you scan the ceiling and alcoves. Something catches your eye on the back side of the flying buttress. Amid the iconography of the painted ceiling
three dark stalactites hang completely out of place. You have just enough time to note it as odd before a ring of eyes circling one of the 'stalactites' snap open and it unfurls like an umbrella, a dark rocky squid with too many eyes dropping towards you. The image barely has time to register before most of the majority of the chapel is enveloped in shadowy illumination, with wisps of smoky shadow snaking out like tendrils. Then it expands in another orb, then another until the chapel becomes some kind of hazy otherworld and even your natural ability to see without light can't cut through the gloom.

Everyone else-
Azog is just over halfway into the chapel when his area is engulfed in deep shadows down to his knees. In quick succession the rest of the chapel follows. Turn's lantern is muted so much that it appears like it could be underwater from far away. Likewise the sunlight from the broken window now seems murky and incapable of illuminating the room. From around the pillars near the ceiling you can make out movement, something hovering or swirling through the haze towards you.

Init:
Luger 22
Dimlez 15
Ordin 15
Azog 13 (Fang will act on your init)
Darkness 13
Aidan 11
Turndar 6

Azog was able to act in the surprise round, technically before the darkness went into effect. So you've got 1 Standard Action to burn then the first regular round starts.

EDIT: I neglected to mention that there is a door in the south wall. My mistake. Azog is only 5' away from it, so that is another option.

Last edited:

Corpseflower

First Post
Surpriseround.jpg

Azog is on the map based on where he was when things got dangerous. Everyone else choose a square. I neglected to give the map a grid. I'll fix that on the next round, but for now across the top it should be A-I running Left to Right, and top to bottom the rows are 1-6.

WarShrike

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]I should have kept my crossbow. :p
Nice maps btw. :)
[/SBLOCK]

"Why do i always hafta be right about everything? Damned darkness! If you're near a wall, put your back to it and kill anything that comes at you. These things glided down from the ceiling, so they may be able to fly. Can anyone cancel out this magical darkness?" As he speaks, Azog moves forward alog the wall (1 sq.), so that his back is to the door, fang trailing behind (Azog B6, Fang C6) and readies himself by casting True Strike. (Surprise round done,) now Azog and Fang will attack the first tentacle beast that comes within melee range.

[SBLOCK=Spells]
Spells: Druid -- Level 0: 3, Level 1: 2
Spells: Cleric -- Level 0: 3, Level 1: 2+1

Druid Lvl 0 (DC=12): Cure Minor Wounds, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic.
Druid Lvl 1 (DC=13): Cure Light Wounds, Entangle.
Cleric Lvl 0 (DC-12): Cure Minor Wounds, Cure Minor Wounds, Detect Magic.
Cleric Lvl 1 (DC=13): Cure Light Wounds, Cure Light Wounds, DOMAIN: True Strike.
[/SBLOCK]

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
I do not have the daylight spells, only a minor light spell, which I doubt would be enough.

[sblock=My turn]

Aidan will be hopefully behind the melee fighters, and will cast Magic Missle. [/sblock]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads