CRT & Setting Update

S

searching one

law question

I have a character that considers many humanoid types not people similar to greyhawk law. So would the law have a problem with him trying to take some of the ones wandering around to be trained as guard animals or pets?

Xavim

First Post
Forgive me I'm painfully new to this sort of RPing, and have recently posted on the Tavern board/thread and am curious about a few things.

well to be more precise, everything. What is involved in playing? Is there a FAQ? And do you need to stick to some timeline or something (like meet at wed at 7:00)

Any help would be appriciated.

W

WizO_Siani

I have a character that considers many humanoid types not people similar to greyhawk law. So would the law have a problem with him trying to take some of the ones wandering around to be trained as guard animals or pets?

No, the law wouldn't have a problem with it. You may have noticed that law officers are a rare thing in the Tavern. That is because it is meant to be less lawful than Juxta. IC law is quoted here only for purposes of setting expansion and roleplay opportunities by yourself and other patrons. The 'law' in the Tavern is Siani. For the most part, she won't interfere with what you do. However, things like spilling blood on her floor, chasing off her customers, trying to wreck the place, or assaulting herself will get one an introduction to the Selintan River just outside.

As for making pets of humanoids, if the player of said humanoid agrees then far be it from me to interfere as long as things stay within the CoC. If things stray from the CoC, well, then I have to get all official and put on my WizO hat and all that. Tiresome really. ;)

Forgive me I'm painfully new to this sort of RPing, and have recently posted on the Tavern board/thread and am curious about a few things.

No surprise. Welcome to the site, Xavim, we are glad to have you. As for what is involved in playing, all you need to do is create a character you wish to play in a fantasy medieval setting and have at it. There is no DM, no dice, none of the usual things. There is a Code of Conduct which you are well advised to be familiar with. Essentially your character joins with the others to create a story, playing off of one another's actions as you go. Act and react, that is freeform.

The Tavern has a setting, this is Ford Keep, a town about a days journey west southwest of Greyhawk City and on the banks of the Selintan. It is a port town as well. All of this is on the continent of Oerik on the planet Oerth and takes place in a small part of Oerik called the Flanaess. It is all part of the D&D campaign setting known as The World of Greyhawk.

No, you don't have to use a D&D character. Many do, but many do not as well. Read the posts in this thread for background information on the region and Tavern. You may also ask me anytime you see me on site since I am the Setting Coordinator for Greyhawk. I basically give you all setting stuff to use, abuse, what have you.

Hope that helps.

Siani

S

searching one

Thanks siani!
Yeah, it's all ok ooc. Just I've been getting people saying that my character isn't allowed to do it because it would be considered slaving. But the species has to be considered "people" for it to be slaving, and they're not.

Now I got another one. Is there an agency in Greyhawk that my character could get a permit for trade in "not people" humanoids? And/or their pelts.

W

WizO_Siani

Now I got another one. Is there an agency in Greyhawk that my character could get a permit for trade in "not people" humanoids? And/or their pelts.

In fact, there is. You go to the Molecatcher's Guild and purchase a fur license for 100 orbs. This entitles you to hunt, trap, and sell fur bearing creatures. Since these sorts you are after are not considered people under the law, they too are included. Specifically exempted creatures are noted when the license is obtained, though there are *very* few of these and nearly all of them are with the tribe of Werebears living in the Gnarley Forest.

The Molecatcher's Guild covers everything from molecatching to rat catching to major fur trade. It is located in the low market in Greyhawk City.

WizO Siani

D

Dragona Nightsky

Here's a few questions:

1. Could you post something about the currency of Greyhawk, Ford Keep, and most importantly, the tavern? I just noticed the mention of "orbs" as currency and wanted to know what kind of value an orb had. :)

2. Where can we find the calendar/weather for the upcoming months?

3. What are the mains venues of trade in Ford Keep?

4. Is there anywhere online where we can find all this info if we don't have the Living Greyhawk Gazateer?

5. ETA on those maps?

Thanks Siani, this is great! :)

W

WizO_Siani

1. Could you post something about the currency of Greyhawk, Ford Keep, and most importantly, the tavern? I just noticed the mention of "orbs" as currency and wanted to know what kind of value an orb had.

Platinum Plates, Gold Orbs, Silver Nobles, Electrum Luckies, and Copper Commons, officially. Generally we don't use the Electrum, but it's there anyway.

2. Where can we find the calendar/weather for the upcoming months?

*blushes* Ah, well, I'll post this shortly. I've fallen behind. There is not site calendar page just yet. That will come in the relatively near future, I hope.

3. What are the mains venues of trade in Ford Keep?

You're trying to kill me, I just know it. ;) Well, since Ford Keep is a port town on the Selintan and a way station between the Woolly Bay to the south and Greyhawk to the north, and from Dyvers to the west, damn near anything can be found there, if not in as good a quantity as elsewhere. Most merchants keep the best of their wares for the big city markets. Ford Keep would see some fur trading, smithwork, clothing and potters, etc. Other things would come on ships or by wagon.

4. Is there anywhere online where we can find all this info if we don't have the Living Greyhawk Gazateer?

Ah, yes. The guys, or some of the guys, who wrote the Gazetteer and do work for Dragon and Dungeon run a site called canonfire.com. It is THE site for all things Greyhawk. Warning, it has huge amounts of info. You will spend some time there. I go there constantly. If you see someone logged on named Galiana, that's me.

5. ETA on those maps?

*eyes you* You really are out to get me. *laughs* Ah, good question. I'm doing the best I can. Things are a bit tight just now timewise. Patience please, though I know I asking you all to be saints. I'm the only one doing this stuff. Anyone care to volunteer graphic skills?

Siani

W

WizO_Siani

Greyhawk Calendar

Right, this is the calendar for the next couple of months in Greyhawk. I will put the modern date in Parenthesis just after the setting date. Enjoy.

1Coldeven (Spring, Hills, 35N°, sunrise: 6:02, sunset: 17:59) Day H°F L°F Precip (duration) Luna Celene
1. (Feb 29)Starday (work) 48 37 Cloudy - -
2. (Mar 1) Sunday (work) 54 35 Partly Cloudy - -
3. (2) Moonday (work) 42 38 Cloudy - -
4. (3) Godsday (worship) 53 34 Heavy Fog (5 hrs) 1/4 1/4
5. (4) Waterday (work) 49 42 Cloudy - -
6. (5) Earthday (work) 52 34 Partly Cloudy - -
7. (6) Freeday (rest) 54 36 Partly Cloudy - -
8. (7) Starday (work) 57 38 Clear - -
9. (8) Sunday (work) 48 36 Heavy Rain (10 hs) - -
10. (9) Moonday (work) 45 40 Cloudy - -
11. (10) Godsday (worship) 58 42 Thunderstorm (3 hrs) Full -
12. (11) Waterday (work) 52 40 Partly Cloudy - -
13. (12) Earthday (work) 46 36 Cloudy - -
14. (13) Freeday (rest) 51 36 Partly Cloudy - -
15. (14) Starday (work) 47 35 Cloudy - -
16. (15) Sunday (work) 53 36 Thunderstorm (2 hrs) - -
17. (16) Moonday (work) 53 39 Drizzle (2 hrs) - -
18. (17) Godsday (worship) 48 37 Cloudy 3/4 -
19. (18) Waterday (work) 51 38 Partly Cloudy - -
20. (19) Earthday (work) 51 42 Partly Cloudy - -
21. (20) Freeday (rest) 44 41 Cloudy - -
22. (21) Starday (work) 42 40 Cloudy - -
23. (22) Sunday (work) 50 42 Light Rain (9 hrs) - -
24. (23) Moonday (work) 53 35 Light Rain (12 hrs) - -
25. (24) Godsday (worship) 51 34 Light Rain (1 hrs) New -
26. (25) Waterday (work) 50 34 Light Rain (12 hrs) - -
27. (26) Earthday (work) 49 33 Light Rain (1 hrs) - -
28. (27) Freeday (rest) 51 42 Light Rain (12 hours) - -

Growfest (Fest, Hills, 35N°, sunrise: 5:50, sunset: 18:05) Day High °F Low °F Precipitation (duration) Luna Celene
1. (Mar 28) Starday (work) 64 44 Thunderstorm (1 hrs) - -
2. (29) Sunday (work) 59 47 Thunderstorm (2 hrs) - -
3. (30) Moonday (work) 54 46 Partly Cloudy - -
4. (31) Godsday (worship) 48 40 Cloudy 1/4 Full
5. (Apr 1) Waterday (work) 52 38 Partly Cloudy - -
6. (2) Earthday (work) 63 43 Clear - -
7. (3) Freeday (rest) 62 45 Thunderstorm (3 hrs) - -

Planting
1. (Apr 4) Starday (work) 55 49 Cloudy - -
2. (5) Sunday (work) 67 47 Partly Cloudy - -
3. (6) Moonday (work) 56 48 Cloudy - -
4. (7) Godsday (worship) 68 45 Thunderstorm (1 hrs) Full -