• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crypt of Crimson Stars OOC [Full]

Bront

The man with the probe
I have lots of interesting concepts that I haven't been able to use, but I'm in quite a few games already. I'm willing to accept an alt role, or willing to play if you want me.

Here are the 2 concepts I'd be interested in playing though. They will need to be tweeked (This is what I had in origional proposals, so I'd have to write them into sharn and your group, but that shouldn't be too hard). Each is about a page and a half long, so I sblocked them.

Mel, Changeling Rogue (Possibly another class also, I could see her going arcane trickster with sorcerer as well depending on the need)
[sblock]Mel is anything but your typical elven noble. She has always been taught she was special. At a young age, Melphina Delena learned that she had an amazing ability to change shape. Nothing drastic, but she could change her shape to emulate just about anyone. She was taught that this was a special gift few elves had, and she should hide it from the world as much as possible. Her mother, Yolanda, loved her deeply, and would always call Melphina her “special little girl”. Melphina never understood why her mom always seemed to have a smile and a tear in her eye when she looked at Melphina.

Her father, Vielin Delena, had Melphina trained in the more subtle arts of the court. She was shown the social intrigue and backstabbing, both figurative and literally. Vielin had eyes on a seat of power, and saw Melphina as his opportunity. He spared no expense at Mel’s training and education, and Melphina took to everything eagerly.

Melphina was generally kept away from all but Vielin’s closest advisors. As she grew, she wondered why it happened so fast. Her father said that it was just part of her being different, and that it meant that she got to be an adult sooner. When Melphina was 16, she was finally brought out into the public’s eye. She was to say that she had been studying in Sharn for several decades and had recently returned to Valenar. Melphina reveled in the exercise to put her deceptive skills to work, and managed to keep her origins a secret.

Melphina, however, was too good of a student for her father’s good. She enjoyed sneaking around the castle, spying or impersonating staff. One day, she had actually snuck out of the keep, and she met a strange person whose race she couldn’t identify. So, after shadowing this person, she discovered it was a Changeling. She saw him change shape, much like she could, once or twice. She felt some sort of connection to this person, but she couldn’t place it.

So, she began to research Changelings and experimenting with herself. She was sure now, that she was not a special Elf, but a Changeling. She decided to not let on, and find out why her parents deceived her. She worked her way through the keep almost daily, trying to pick up bits and pieces of what was really going on. To be true to her changeling nature, she began to ask to be called Mel, as a term of endearment of course.

Soon, her “father” announced that she had been offered to a new Barron as a bride, and then all became clear. Vielin spoke to Mel, and mentioned that she should use the situation to gain power for her family. She could help this new Barron into an early grave, and take the Barony for herself and her family. She enjoyed the intrigue of the political world, but helping this “Family” she found revolting.

One day, Mel came upon her mother crying while she was disguised as one of her mother’s personal servants. She asked what was wrong, and Yolanda spoke that she knew what Vielin had planned for her daughter, and she didn’t approve. Mel was moved by her mom, and dropped her disguise. Much to her surprise, she took the natural changeling form, and not her usual elven form. Yolanda recognized Mel immediately and broke down, telling her how Vielin had killed the original Melphina, and had tricked Yolanda into conceiving Mel. Yolanda swore to love her daughter, but was scared to go against her husband.

Mel spoke with her mother about what Vielin had planned her to do. She spoke of how she had figured out that she was different and strove to learn about her true nature. Yolanda said to Mel “Don’t live your life with regrets. Run away now, you can find some place to go. You know who you really are, and you know how to disappear out there. I believe in you, and know that no matter what happens, your mother always loves you.”

So, under cover of darkness, Mel set out, in search of a new life, feeling for once, truly at peace with who she is. She still uses her “Melphina” persona most often, but she knows to keep a low profile, and has tried to develop several new ones.[/sblock]
Carver, Warforged Artifacer (Shouldn't be too hard to have him wind up in Sharn, or even shift his starting location to Sharn.)
[sblock]Carver was never really sure how he got to Port Verge. Bimbleburg told Carver that he’d washed up on the shore, but Carver’s first memory was waking up in Bim’s (That what Carver preferred to call him) workshop. Bim tried to ask him questions while he examined Carver, but Carver didn’t know anything before waking up. Once Bim was sure there was no damage to Carver, he told Carver to stay in the workshop while he went to talk to someone. Carver stayed behind, and eventually picked up a small knife and a few blocks of wood and started carving. Bim had returned to find several small wooden blocks carved in various geometric shapes. Bim said “You’re a Carver all right; I think that’s a good name for you for now.” Carver never did get another name.

Bim was a local gnome artificer. He had worked for the nation of Cyre for a time, and had retired here in Port Verge well before the war had ended. Bim was familiar with Warforged, but found it strange that Carver seemed like a blank slate. Bim decided to try to “raise” him almost like a son. He opened the world to Carver, and showed him endless possibilities that he could do with his life, but Carver enjoyed crafting. He took amazingly well to weapons, armor, and alchemy, and would often carve figurines when he had idle time.

Bim told carver about the Warforged, the Last War, and how many were trained to be soldiers. Carver didn’t quite understand, having never seen another one like him, and the concept that he had been created and not born seemed strange. Carver began to study Bim’s notes on the Warforged, and began to look into the creation of magical objects and items with a renewed passion. Seeking to understand himself, he looked inside to find out what made him Carver. Bim trained Carver as an artificer, and as Bim became ill, Carver continued to work and help support Bim. Bim continued to teach Carver all he could beyond being an artificer as well. “You’ve been given a gift that perhaps no other Warforged has Carver,” Bim told him, “You’ve been allowed to be raised instead of trained. Make the most of it son.”

Carver was taken aback by being called son, but he had come to think of Bim as what he learned most of the godforged races (as Bim had described them to Carver) called a father. He felt honored to have this relationship with the gnome. Unfortunately, several days later, Bim died of his illness, or perhaps old age. Carver was not one to understand these things. However, he did find paperwork in Bim’s stuff showing that he had had a friend create a document stating that Carver had sailed to the port to work with him, and another document that stated the shop was Carvers if Bim fell ill. Bim had truly thought of Carver as a son.

Carver spent some time morning Bim’s death. He threw himself into his work, and kept himself busy. Carver never understood the exact operation of a business, so while he continued to craft items for customers, he never seemed to be making much. Carver didn’t care, as long as he was able to maintain the shop. However, this life alone became tedious for Carver, so he eventually sold the shop and went out to explore the world, in hopes of “Making the most of it” for his father.

Carver may look like an average Warforged, but there always seems to be something different about him. He doesn’t carry himself as most Warforged do, but more like a curious child. Carver is small for a Warforged and doesn’t cast a very imposing figure despite his adamantium body. He wears a finely made cloak, and most of his gear has a fine quality to it.[/sblock]

Krauss von Espy

First Post
Bront,

Some good ideas here...

I'll be happy to consider you for the game, so long as you don't think you'll be over-extended. Is it your preference to be an alternate?

Bront

The man with the probe
I'm just letting you know I won't mind being one, so if you find 4 other deserving people, I won't be hurt. I've got time at the moment, and that doesn't look to change (Besides, PbPs don't take that much time out of a week).

I'm not sure which fits in better with your campaign ideal, nor steps on other's toes, but either would be fun to play. I'd probably use the racial substitution levels (or some of them at least) for the warforged artifacer.

On a side note, it would be up to you on Carver's age if you want to use him. It'd probably be listed at 1 or 2, but you could rule weather or not he's older and simply forgotten who he is, or he's a new creation simply set loose on the world.

Prof Yeti

First Post
If possible I too would like to revive a character that was written for another game. The original character never got beyond 1st level so I kinda want to see how he does. So advancing him to 7th would be quite easy

Brodin Stoneheart (Dwarf Ranger 3/Fighter 4)
[sblock]
Description
His name is Brodin Stoneheart and he is a scion of Clan Kardurun from the northern reaches of the Mror Holds. He is of average for the people of that region (4’2” and 164 lbs.). But his bright red hair and dark green eyes are both rare and proof he carries the blood of the southern clans. He wears his hair long, kept in a warrior’s braid, while keeping his beard relatively short.

Prologue
His parents met over sixty-three years ago, in the city of Korunda’s Gate, in the northern Mror Holds. Brodin’ fathers was Rurik Stoneheart, his mother’ Vala Loderr, a distant and unmarked member of House Kundarak. They met at time when both were just beginning their apprenticeships, but they each recognized each other as soul mates. And so their love flourished over the next 10 years and shortly after finishing their training the two were married. An Artificer of some skill Vala worked in the enclave of House Kundarak creating and fixing whatever was needed, while Rurik took a position as a Lieutenant and trainer of the House Guard. And so there lives seemed to settle, becoming all that much brighter when Vala discovered she was with child. Even more amazing was when the Healer confirmed that she would have twins.

And so the children’, Brodin (Male) and Diesa (Female), birth became an event celebrated by the whole of both the Clan and House. Many saw them as an omen for a brighter future. And it was firmly within the love and encouragement of both family and community that the two grew into fine examples of all that is great about Dwarves. As if to cap this happy time young Diesa developed a Dragonmark shortly before beginning her apprenticeship, as an Artificer, securing her place within the Holds. But Brodin would take a much longer and lonelier, though no less important, road for his training. Because while growing up it was discovered that Brodin possessed a personality and knack for certain skills that were invaluable to the Dwarven homeland. He had heard tales of the Sentinels and Deep Wardens, the dwarves that patrolled the far ranges and entrances to the Holds, but had never actually met one until the day Jagrin Garokdur arrived at his families home. When offered training there was little hesitation, both by him and his family, and shortly thereafter he began his study as a Sentinel (Ranger).

So he passed the next decade learning about weapons and dungeoneering. But more importantly he learned to hone his senses, his first line of defense, against encroaching enemy. And it would be those very skills that would save both his and his mentors lives, early in his training. While helping patrol one of the older mines Brodin heard a light scuffling sound coming towards him from further down the cavern he was checking. With barely enough time to find cover he watched as a trio of Ghouls traveled past in search of food. Moving as quiet and stealthily as possible he followed them as they moved towards his teachers last location. When he arrived he say the creature feast on something, though he couldn’t make out what it was for sure. No sooner had he decided to attack then he spotted his mentor hiding on a small ledge near-by, watching the horrendous creatures waiting for his own opening to attack. As if watching in slow motion Brodin’ mentor sprung from hiding cleaving one of the creatures in two. But the other two creatures saw Jagrin as nothing but food and moved to attack. Most of the strikes were easily avoided or deflected, but a few got thru, leaving the teacher bloody. This only served to spur the foul creatures to redouble their attacks. But it was at that very same moment that Brodin used their distraction to launch his own attack. While not as experienced as his teacher he managed to land a blow that would make a giant proud. Because with that one blow he was able to fell one of the Ghouls and reduce the threat to his mentor. The remaining ghoul sought to escape but having nowhere to run attack with a ferocity born of desperation. In a matter of moments though Brodin and his mentor quickly felled the beast. And while he learned much over the years both in the caves and out, the battle with the Ghouls was one of his fondest memories.

But as with most it was tempered with sadness. A short time later (by Dwarven standards) his apprenticeship came to an end. While he was glad for the chance to return home and be able to see his family, Brodin was also filled with dread of the prospect having grown used to the isolation and constant state of readiness for battle. Though those thoughts were minor compared to the events that would soon transpire, for it was a future in the wake of the Day of Mourning.

Because you see as is apt to happen when least expected, misfortune would strike a well-placed blow. If not for the War that shaped all of Khorvaire for a century many would have stayed settled and focused on there crafts and their children and this story would be done. But in the midst of war seldom did such happy endings occur. These particular dark days had began a few years earlier when Rurik and Vala, along with much of Clan Kardurun, were assigned to a delegation sent to Cyre. They saw nothing amiss since they would return in plenty of time to see their children return from their training. Unfortunately it was only a year after their arrival that the Day of Mourning would occur. In one swift blow, Clan Kardurun was almost completely obliterated from the face of the planet. And so Brodin found his training complete but with no family left in the Holds to defend.

His normal inclination would have been to return to the caves and underground passages where he was most comfortable. But the spirit within drove Brodin to find a new path.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

jglamere

First Post
Hi,

First of all let me say that this would be my first experience with Play-by-Post gaming. I hope to join to get some experience with the format and have some fun.

If you decide you would rather have experienced PbPer's I totally understand.

Here is the character concept I would like to submit:

Onar d'Thudret (LN male half-orc ranger 6/extreme explorer 1)

Background
Orphaned early in life due to reason unbeknownst to him, Onar never had the chance to know his true parents. However, born a cousin of Dragonmarked blood, Onar was raised as a member of House Tharanshk. Showing vast potential, Onar studied under the finest mentors within the House of Finding in Zarash'ak. While Onar tolerated his studies, he really longed for the adventure that many members of his house pursue.

With the dawning of Onar's thirteenth birthday, his coming of age, he was finally allowed field assignments for the house. Demonstrating remarkable raw potential and possessing solid teaching, Onar was assigned to Baruk's expedition to establish an important outpost in the Demon Wastes. Onar learned much from the ruthless, no-nonsense commander while stationed at the Blood Crescent outpost developing into a talented scout for House Tharanshk.

Having recently departed Blood Crescent for new assignments… Onar has been reporting to the field assignment officer of the Finders Guild in Sharn, the City of Towers, while working various assignments for hire with a competent group he has come to recognize as friends.

Personality
Onar seeks a life of action and adventure without concern for trivial day-to-day business matters - much to his steward's displeasure. While others view him as reckless and daring, Onar feels he was destined for adventure - allowing him the natural ability to accomplish such amazing feats. Unconcerned with fame and fortune, Onar demands the thrill of the hunt and the excitement of the quest. Methodical and determined, Onar approaches each assignment with confidence and precise objectives.

While Onar is sometimes stern and not quick to call acquaintances "friend", he takes his oaths of friendship very seriously, considering such sworn friends kin. Blood and kin demand fierce loyalty, while blood spilled calls for vengeance and vendetta.

Physical Description
Onar stands 6'6" and is considered slim for a half-orc of his height. Though scarred from battle and eyes that tell of experience, Onar displays the youthful well-toned body of a half-orc of no more than 17 or 18 winters. Onar maintains a long, well kept midnight black mane which he wears in a neat tight braid that hangs down the middle of his back. Coarse strands hang in a thin mustache and beard off of a strong chiseled face. Onar dresses in a plain collared sleeveless tunic with buckskin trousers and solid knee high buckled boots. When exploring, he also adorns an engraved bronzewood helm, a thick reinforced leather vest that buckles down the sides, and thick reinforced leather bracers.

cool hand luke

First Post
I just borrowed the eberron book from my neighbor, it looks great. If you can wait 24 hours, I'll read most of it and get my character made.

2 quick questions, would you allow the scout class from complete adventurer, and the whisper gnome sub-race from races of stone? i can send you all the info on either one if you don't have it.

Krauss von Espy

First Post
cool hand luke said:
I just borrowed the eberron book from my neighbor, it looks great. If you can wait 24 hours, I'll read most of it and get my character made.

2 quick questions, would you allow the scout class from complete adventurer, and the whisper gnome sub-race from races of stone? i can send you all the info on either one if you don't have it.

I will allow both sources, but I will need the relevant details. I don't own those books.

Don't worry, I'm planning to hold the thread open to applicants for another day, at least.

cool hand luke

First Post
This is my scout I threw together, I have a ton more ideas for him, but didn't want to overwhelm you at this point. If you choose me, I will get you the relevant class/race info.

Arundel Zalinbourg’s Early memories are exceedingly pleasant. As a young gnome, he was given almost anything his little heart could desire by his doting mother. He rarely saw his father, who was to consumed by running the family business. The Zalinbourg family ran one of the most prosperous and powerful ship building yards in Zilargo. This was a rather recent occurrence, During the Great War, his father and uncles had made several astute business decisions to ship various war goods to any and all that were willing to pay there inflated prices. The memories of Arundels childhood are dominated by his mother. She had always fancied themselves as the peak of society, even though they were nouveau riche that were tolerated in the better circles only because of there immense wealth, and connections they had outside of Zilargo. From his earliest days, Arundel was drilled to become the young society darling her mother dreamed about. He was drilled in all the social graces, dancing, manners, tutored to be a sharp and witty conversationalist. Despite her best efforts, Arundel showed little if any interest in these pursuits. Although he possessed the quickness of thought necessary, he found such things the epitomy of boring, and only put in marginal effort.

His relatively pleasant, if sometimes tedious life changed in the blink of an eye one night. He was yanked out of bed by one of his 4 uncles, his fathers brothers and business partners, and told to dress, and get downstairs immediately. By the time he got there, he saw his other uncles, father, and numerous cousins and aunts scurrying around. Before he knew what had happened, they were placed in the back of a huge cart, covered in first a cloth, then various layers of garbage, and taking a bumpy ride.

When the cart finally stopped, he looked out, and saw a small, run down wharf in the worst area of the trolanport harbor. His entire family scurried on board a small 1 sailed ship that immediately shoved off. Conspicously absent was his mother, and his father seemed to be avoiding all the other relatives.

Thus began the next chapter of his life, living in exile. Though it was never told outright, over the following years of traveling with the remains of his family, he was able to piece together what happened. His mother, in trying to climb the social ladder, had greviously offended the matriarch of the Sivis house. The matriarch, using her long list of spies, and political connections, had flexed her muscle, and found that during the last years of the Great War, a prince of Karrnath was poisoned. The poison was extremely rare, and extremely deadly. Through her network of spies, it was shown that the assassin not only obtained the poison through the Zalinbourgs black market dealings, but sailed into town on one of there merchant ships. This information was leaked to the Karrnath royal family, who immediately sent a company of elite troops to capture the family, and return them for trial. Luckily, The Zalinbourg family heard about the company through there own spy network, and they were able to slip out under the cover of night as there family house was seized, searched, and burned.

All of this would have been damning enough, but Arundel later heard that not only had his mothers over ambition caused the exile, but when she heard of the downfall, she refused to go into exile, and wound up serving as a mistress to a high ranking, lecherous merchant.

Since it was his mother that caused there downfall, even his fellow family members shunned Arundel. He was an outcast among exiles. As the family traveled, never staying in one place for to long, lest they be found, Arundel would often linger far behind, or wander at the far fringe of the group. He soon found that he liked the solitude, and it gave him a way to be useful to the family. Soon, he would rise at dawn, and walk out ahead of the group, carefully making sure that they were safe. Many times he saw a dangerous animal, or band of thieves, and was able to return to the family caravan and warn them. Eventually, his family wandered onto the great plains of Talenta, and encountered the native Halflings. For the first time in 15 years, the family stopped wandering.

Most of his family was viewed as odd outsiders by the natives. Arundel, however, soon earned there respect for his knowledge of the land, and ability to locate game, and warn them of enemies. At first, he acted as an ambassador between his now quite large family clan (50 or so gnomes) and the Halflings. Eventually, he earned enough respect that he would serve as a scout on there hunting or war parties. Eventually, he gave up returning to his families settlement except on rare occasions. He was still treated as an outcast and pariah among them, but, among the Halflings as a contributor with valuable skills.

In the last few years, he has been hired out as part of mercenary teams by the tribe.

Arundel has a deep distrust of almost everyone. He is smart enough to know where his strengths lie (stealth, observation) and where he is weak (straight out combat) he will always try to avoid combat as much as possible, but, if cornered, has a nasty surprise. A small gnome, wielding only a dagger and seeming to want to run more than fight is not a foe many warriors are afraid of. However, Arundel sees no need to “fight fare” against larger and stronger opponents. If he does engage in combat, you can bet that his dagger will be coated in one of the many poisons he has learned to glean from nature of the years.
Arundel is used to being the outcast, and has a hard time believing that anyone can see him as useful. This often leads to distrust and hard feelings that are exclusively one sided, as he is very competent at what he does.

The last of these mercenary adventures had him team up with an eclectic group of other races, for the first time in there life. After completing there assignment, they found themselves near the outskirts of Sharn.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
Krauss, one thing I was contemplating was having Kershalt be a kind of urban druid. I wanted him to be comfortable in and underneath the cities. I kind of saw him as being able to track his chosen prey through a city as well as a forest... I kind of wanted to swap out some class features for others to closer match the flavor... but I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do yet, or even if you'd allow that. So... that's me babbling. :)

P.S. I was thinking of dropping woodland stride, trackless step, and resist nature's lure for Track/Urban Tracking. Also perhaps drop the ability to spontaneously cast summon nature's ally for a very slightly expanded weapon/armor list and/or the addition of a few skills to the skill list? Probably drop a couple other things too. Umm.. yeah. Just some thoughts.

Remove ads