• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Crystallize Potion. Critique please

Corbert

Explorer
I've seen alternate potion types on other threads, crystals, suppository, wafers, etc., and I thought, why not transmute an existing potion to something more useful? This way you can put a crystal in an unconscious characters hand and break it to affect them. Plus, it'll cut down on drowning characters with healing potions (see this thread for an explanation http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=134529 ) and i won't be called a RBDM so much :lol: . Now I'll be called the caring RBDM. :confused:

Crystallize Potion
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: touch
Target: one potion
Duration: instantaneous

This spell causes a single potion to crystallize. The crystal has all the properties of the potion it was, but the activation method has changed. To activate the crystal it must simply be crushed.

FickleGM

Explorer
How about freezing a potion? It doesn't address your situation, but I am just finishing an Ice Cream bar and had an idea for marketing PotionPops®...

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
FickleGM said:
How about freezing a potion? It doesn't address your situation, but I am just finishing an Ice Cream bar and had an idea for marketing PotionPops®...
One GM I had ran a silly Forgotten Realms GURPS campaign. In it the god of magic, not Mystra, but Abdul, had convenience stores called Circle As (An A with a circle around it) where you could purchase squishees of healing.

FickleGM

Explorer
Frukathka said:
One GM I had ran a silly Forgotten Realms GURPS campaign. In it the god of magic, not Mystra, but Abdul, had convenience stores called Circle As (An A with a circle around it) where you could purchase squishees of healing.

Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout... :lol:

I don't know that I'd ever actually do this in a real campaign...

Corbert

Explorer
FickleGM said:

Cool idea, but unless the potion were enchanted to stay frozen its usefulness would be limited. Also, I would impose a delay of 1d3 rounds until the frozen potion melts to let it take effect.

JimAde

First Post
So, could you have a crystallized potion affect another character by throwing it at him? I don't know if you like that idea, but your players will almost certainly think of it at some point so you should have an answer ready. :)

FickleGM

Explorer
Corbert said:
Cool idea, but unless the potion were enchanted to stay frozen its usefulness would be limited. Also, I would impose a delay of 1d3 rounds until the frozen potion melts to let it take effect.

True, but picture this - a bard playing cheery music while driving a refrigerated carriage down the streets of Waterdeep selling PotionPops to all of the youngins'...

"Look mom, I can fly"

"Dad, can I get the superheroism-banana-twist?" - whispered quietly - "then I'll show that Tommy Turner..."

Corbert

Explorer
JimAde said:
So, could you have a crystallized potion affect another character by throwing it at him? I don't know if you like that idea, but your players will almost certainly think of it at some point so you should have an answer ready. :)

Actually, that's part of the plan. Several times I've had PCs go unconscious (especially the cleric) when I expected the battle to be a cake walk, and it would be nice to have some way the other PCs can help. I suppose a crystallized potion would have a break DC of about 5 or so? It would have to really low so it doesn't just bounce off, maybe right into the hands of the enemy :]

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads