• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(CSHC) Creamsteak's Home Campaign [IC]

Eldorian

First Post
I yell, "Identify yourselves and show no aggression!" as I go to (1,L) and command Spike to heel to (1,M) and guard. Then, I ready an action to cast entangle should they do anything threatening.

Creamsteak

Explorer
You succeed in moving to L1, and your handle animal as a free action check succeeds.

The riders move forwards 50 feet. The man (on the left on the map) goes into his saddlebags looking for something. The woman speaks "My name is Galatea, and were here to take our new student home."

Eldorian

First Post
I cast entangle, centered between them if that keeps me out of the area of effect, and run away. Quickly advancing and reaching into a bag I consider threatening in these circumstances.

Creamsteak

Explorer
You cast entangle.

The male rider manages to avoid being entangles through incredible luck. The second rider is entangled. The first rider attempts to strength through. The male riders horse pushes through the entanglement (nat 20 + mods), the other rider attempts to break free fails (nat 1).

Right after you cast your spell, your dog barks to signal to you something. You quickly spot the problem, it looks like the wounded man is trying to get out of his bindings. (use rope check 6 rolled +2 dex +10 modifier, vs. escape artist 15 rolled +6 skill). He gets loose, and after rolling off the dog and onto his feet takes a 5 ft. step.

Initiatives
Fayden 7+
Spike
Riders 7
Marcus

Spike is currently unsure how to react to the person getting loose, and delays his action waiting for a command from you.

Last edited:

Eldorian

First Post
My entangle forces another save on my turn. (the first rider, having succeeded on the Reflex save, didn't have to strength check to move, tho he could move only at half speed).

I say to the young man, "I suggest we flee," and then follow through with my suggestion, running whichever direction takes me away from both sets of riders. I command Spike to heel as I go.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The man shrugs his shoulders as you speak to him and command your pet (handle animal as a free action passed). However, as soon as you turn to run, he grabs you, and not in a friendly way. (Improved Grapple, taking attack of opportunity to attempt a grapple). His touch attack is a 16 total. His grapple check is a 16. Your opposed check is 14. He moves into your space. Marcus deals 3 points of non-lethal damage.

"When Galatea said she wanted to take her new student home, she wasn't referring to me, druid."

The male rider once again makes his reflex save (rolled an 18 this time) and the female rider fails to push through (3 rolled). There's 15 feet of "entanglement" still in front of the male rider at the end of his action.

On Marcus turn he again attempts to deal damage, however this time you win the grapple check (rolled 4 vs. rolled 17).

Eldorian

First Post
Not only does Spike get no AoO, but he gets no action? Wouldn't my dog automatically attack someone who attacks me? That's the defend trick, which is one of the ones he has (I know I just updated the sheet, but the toss up was between guard and stay, not defend).

Assuming I'm on my own, I surrender. If Spike will aid me, I attempt to harm the boy with a grapple myself.

Creamsteak

Explorer
[sblock=OOC-Fayden]To be clear, I believe it's a case of your animal "gets" an attack of opportunity, but doesn't choose to take it because of his command. You've only ordered him to Heel and Guard, and neither applies.

Guard: The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.
Heel: The animal follows you closely, even to places where it normally wouldn’t go.

As I think you already noticed, what I think you wanted to do was:
Defend: The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend a specific other character.

I'll assume that you can make more than 1 attempt to handle animal during your turn as a free action, and assume after that at the end of your turn you attempted another handle-animal check as a free action (DC 10). 2 rolled + 4 pet + 4 skill succeeds (guess you only fail on a 1 this level). I assume you would want to attack?[/sblock]

Creamsteak

Explorer
OOC: I was waiting for some kind of confirmation of your action here, but I'll just have to go with my assumption I guess?

You deliver a swift command to your pet while being held, commanding him to attack the aggressor. However, Spike lands his attack on the wrong target.

Your pet attacks, 17+mods to hit. 25% chance he hits the wrong target. He hit the wrong target. The attack deals 4 points damage.

Initiatives
Fayden
Spike
Riders
Marcus

You attempt to deal damage to the monk. His grapple check wins.

Spike attempts to attack again. 4 rolled.

The front rider makes his save. The second rider is still entangled from before.

The front rider moves out of the entanglement.

The second rider fails (again) to break free of entanglement.

Marcellus attempts to deal damage. He fails to do so.

Top of the initiative order.

Eldorian

First Post
Creamsteak said:
OOC: 25% chance he hits the wrong target.

OOC: Where do you get that? He hits me? On page 151 of the PHB, table 8-6, defender is grappling(but attacker is not) melee +0, defender loses Dex bonus. Nothing about hitting someone else in the grapple, that's a footnote for ranged attacks into a grapple. I can find no other mentions of attacking someone in a grapple while not grappled.

Dude, if you're gonna just screw me out of any chance of getting away, then just say they capture me.

IC: I command Spike to attack the free rider, and attempt to escape from the grapple. (knowing you, Spike won't make AoOs once he's commanded to attack the rider... So I'm screwed again. Maybe I just give up.)

Remove ads