Cubicle 7 No Longer Producing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth

Cubicle 7 has announced that it will cease publishing Tolkien-related games, including The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth, in early 2020. The One Ring 2E is cancelled.

Cubicle 7 has announced that it will cease publishing Tolkien-related games, including The One Ring and Adventures in Middle Earth, in early 2020. The One Ring 2E is cancelled.

B350EFC7-4570-4EB9-9A11-CD1B2C9945F4.jpeg

‘I am with you at present,’ said Gandalf, ‘but soon I shall not be. I am not coming to the Shire.’

We have some very unfortunate and unexpected news to share. Contractual differences arose recently which we have been unable to resolve, and so we have decided to end our licensing agreement with Sophisticated Games. It is with regret that we have made this very tough decision to withdraw.

This means we will cease publishing The One Ring and Adventures in Middle-earth™ in the first half of 2020. Unfortunately, this doesn’t give us enough time to release the much-anticipated The One Ring – The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game second edition. As many of you know, our first edition of The One Ring is eight years old, and we had high hopes of a full product line to support our second edition. Our team have worked incredibly hard on this new edition; with many of the announced titles already written and edited, so being very close to completion makes this decision even harder.

We fully appreciate how invested so many of you are, both in regards to stock and your love of the game. Especially those who have followed our journey from first edition, or have customers who have pre-ordered the second edition or Rohan Region Guide. We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.

We will continue selling our existing stock over the next few months. We will be offering some discounts on our website for consumers as part of our Black Friday sale this week. We will not be reprinting any of these titles, so if you wish to stock up, we would suggest you contact your preferred distributor soon.

Hurin70

Adventurer
I’d read some reviews from people who like the game before taking that too much to heart.

I couldn’t disagree more strongly about subsystems or the journey rules, for instance.

Ok, thanks for the perspective. Can you summarize how the journey rules work? What makes them good or unique?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ok, thanks for the perspective. Can you summarize how the journey rules work? What makes them good or unique?
The main thing is, they make the journey part of the challenge without requiring the party to play out the entire journey.

There are rolls you make before and during the journey, which determine if you must face a hazard, if the journey goes smoothly, and what comes of those hazards you do face. Resources may be expended in the process, and a full rest is only possible in actual safety, so those resources aren’t fully restored by a night of sleep in a camp.

CapnZapp

Legend
Resources may be expended in the process, and a full rest is only possible in actual safety, so those resources aren’t fully restored by a night of sleep in a camp.
This. Makes me sad when I think of D&D's inepts system where you keep having adventures where you face a single monster during a day of travel.

And how pointless that is from a game perspective. A game built on resource management that gives you back all resources after a single resource... sigh

I wonder how many more decades we have to endure before D&D finally takes the consequences of its own setup, and introduces proper resource management rules.

That is, rules where the number of short and long rests are controlled by the adventure. (An intense dungeon romp might require ten minute short rests and hour-long long rests; a desert voyage might use a week's short rest and disallow long rests altogether except for the one Oasis)

Reynard

Legend
There are 2 kinds of resources in D&D (and there always has been) tactical and strategic. 5E does a very good job of making tactical resource management matter*. It isn't so good on the strategic resource management front, between long rests being too good and money being essentially useless.

*Except, as @CapnZapp says, during travel -- which is why the Journey rules are so useful. Players have to make choices and engage in the subsystem, and that determines what their resource state is upon arrival at the adventure location.

CapnZapp

Legend
There are 2 kinds of resources in D&D (and there always has been) tactical and strategic. 5E does a very good job of making tactical resource management matter*. It isn't so good on the strategic resource management front, between long rests being too good and money being essentially useless.

*Except, as @CapnZapp says, during travel -- which is why the Journey rules are so useful. Players have to make choices and engage in the subsystem, and that determines what their resource state is upon arrival at the adventure location.
"which is why the Journey rules would be so useful had they been included in the DMG" you mean :cool:

Reynard

Legend
"which is why the Journey rules would be so useful had they been included in the DMG" you mean :cool:
Sadly the Journey rules are not Open Content, so WotC would have to come up with an alternate, probably inferior, system.

I personally think D&D should abandon the strategic resource management mini-game altogether and focus the exploration pillar on discovery rather that drain, but that's probably a discussion for a different thread.

Hurin70

Adventurer
The main thing is, they make the journey part of the challenge without requiring the party to play out the entire journey.

There are rolls you make before and during the journey, which determine if you must face a hazard, if the journey goes smoothly, and what comes of those hazards you do face. Resources may be expended in the process, and a full rest is only possible in actual safety, so those resources aren’t fully restored by a night of sleep in a camp.

Thanks, that helps a lot. That sounds pretty cool. You've convinced me to take a look at TOR now!

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads