Curiosity: Demarcation between Personalizing and Homebrew

Grognerd

Explorer
So I've been thinking about this for a little while now, and thought I'd throw it out there since I'm curious about how everyone on the board feels. Basically, I'm curious about where y'all draw the lines between a personalized setting and a homebrewed setting.

I would hope that everyone would personalize their settings. I mean, no two settings should be absolutely identical. That would be tragic! But at the same time, there has to be a line somewhere between a setting that has been personalized for a particular campaign and a setting that has deviated enough from the source material that it has essentially become a homebrew setting, with perhaps only the names or maps from the original source material remaining intact.

Now obviously, this is a spectrum. And equally obviously, we'll fall on different points of the spectrum. So this is more just for conversation. Please no one think this is about proving a point "right."

Hopefully you guys get what I'm saying, but just in case I've been unclear, I'll give a brief example. Namely, my own campaign.

The campaign I'm designing is based in the world of Greyhawk (drop dead Greenwood! :p). BUT - and this is a big but - it's set 100 years after the end of the Greyhawk Wars. Further, the Greyhawk Wars didn't end in the canonical way. There was no Treaty of Greyhawk. Rather, the large scale war so depleted the nations that it just kind of stopped via attrition of resources and soldiery. So while large scale warfare ceased, brush wars have continued on throughout the nations. This has led to the rise of a number of mud baronies and self-designated city-states. As a result of this, the larger nations of the Greyhawk world are intact, but there is ample room for a plethora of smaller kingdoms/states. Further, in the 100 years since the canonical end of the Greyhawk Wars, much of the leadership has changed and the Circle of Eight has pretty much ceased to exist.

I think it is safe to say that the setting is - despite using the Greyhawk maps and retaining a number of the countries - essentially a homebrew setting. Almost every major setting character is my own creation (though there are some of the old favorites intact. Iuz is still kicking around, and Rary has since become a lich.). The century disconnect from canon has led to a free range of creation, and I've ported in many of the parts of the Points of Light that I liked. But different people would have different perspectives on when exactly my campaign went from mere personalization to overt homebrew. Was it as soon as I changed the ending to the Wars? Or when I lichified Rary? When I added the first mud duchy? Different people would have different answers.

So, for you personally, at what point do changes to a setting go from "mere" personalization to hombrewing? Your response can include examples from your own setting, ideas based solely on theory, or whatever else. We're just chatting here!

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Well, the answer to this has nothing to do with whether the game is fun. So, I would like to make the general caveat that whatever you and your group do with a ruleset or setting, if you're having fun you playing it right.

Homebrew is just a more extreme form of personalization, but I get where you are going. If your personalization becomes so extreme that another fan of the setting wouldn't recognize it, that is more than adding some NPCs.

For rules, personalization is making decisions on optional/variant rules in the printed RAW. I would also say that editing fluff in the rules, that does not change how things work mechanically is more personalization than homebrew. Customization is repainting and adding/removing chrome. Homebrew is a chop shop turning a chevy impala into a lowrider.

For settings, I suppose anything that changes the events and descriptions in official canon is homebrew. Anything else is personalization. Of course, the True Keepers of Canon may take issue that your personalizations do not make sense in the setting or are jarringly out of place and be able to cite every obscure bit of lore in their argument's favor.

If I could thread hijack and reframe this a bit, perhaps a more practical way of looking at this is asking at what point would changes to a setting make it so that those who are expecting to play in that setting are disappointed that that setting is not what they were expecting?

For me, when it comes to where the characters are doing their adventuring, it is not homebrew if you did not create the world from scratch. Using a published world, no matter how much you change, is still just personalizing it to your tastes and preferences.

I run a world which I have designed from scratch - including Gods, mythology and history - I do however use modules from many other settings which I modify to fit the world I created, this I consider homebrew though not everything is my own invention.

If you use the given name of the world, and change any other aspects of it, then that sounds to me like a personalized setting. If you have taken the step to come up with a new name for the world, then that says to me that you consider it to be an entirely homebrew setting, no matter what other elements you include.

For me, personalization carries from what everyone knows, or can read about in core and official materials, to the point where a concept, idea, and - especially - rules can no longer be construed as a continuation of, or insertion into, a given setting.

For example, and I use the Forgotten Realms,:
In the lands to the east of the Inner Sea lays a country called Thay ruled by Red Wizards. These wizards are usually bald, have tatooed heads ang wear red robes. They tend to be evil, and are ruled by a lich named Zzass Tam.
So far, on book.
In my campaign, the Red Wizards control every aspect of slave trade in the realms. There is not a slave bought, sold, punished or freed that is not recorded and overseen by a Red Wizard.

This is personalization. It's not by the book, but there are no rules or official products which prevent this from occuring.

One of my players is a chaotic good Owlbear monk who wears plate-mail armor and carries a +8 laser cannon which he only can use in Thay due to the magical canopy that covers that entire land. Also, Dynaris Stormborn and Harry Potter fell through interdimensional portals and got married and govern Waterdeep and Cormyr from their beech house in East haven.

That would be homebrew.

Oh, and if I ever actually run that campaign, have me committed.

delericho

Legend
For me, it's about where you start: if you start with a published setting and then change things, that's personalization; if you start with a blank sheet and add things, that's homebrew.

That would apply regardless of how much you change in the first case, or how much you import from other settings in the second case. (Which, yes, gives the strange case where you start with FR and end up changing everything being 'personalization', and the case where you start with a blank sheet and then import the entire FR and call it 'homebrew'. I don't claim it's perfect. :) )

aco175

Legend
I think that the lines overlap between homebrew and personalizing. I play in the FR as well and take the played the Phandalin module for the first campaign. The 2nd campaign I took the town and modified of by a year and came up with the whole story using the backdrop of FR by way of gods, holidays, groups, etc.

I could develop the background stuff like gods and factions or evil groups like the Iron Throne or Red Wizards. A lot of that does not affect the PCs very much and only adds to my game in the background. I find my time is better spend making the adventure for the PCs and not developing the rest.

I also think that a lot of what people think they come up with is at least partially taken from another source. I can make a homebrew by taking the FR gods and changing the names, or would that just be personalizing for my flavor. Even if I want to take a complete homebrew approach and develop the gods themselves, I think most tend to 'borrow' from others. I might take some powers or unique spells or something that works and call it homebrew. It is a hard question to answer.

Remove ads