D&D 5E Currently running the module out of the abyss little confused on expeditionary force's could use some help

Nightbeat84

Explorer
So running out of the abyss wondering what the players are suppose to do with the expeditionary force's they lead back down into the underdark. Ive read that you can have them set up outpost but there are times where it seems like the players will be venturing into place like the purple worm nest is there anywhere they can park there little army or are they just going to be following the PC'S everywhere? Not sure how to deal with all this NPC's i feel like they will slow the game down am i wrong in my thinking?

Quickleaf

Legend
We got up to 5th level in a homebrewed blend of OOtA and Night Below, but I treated all the NPC forces as cards. I'll share an example sheet of cards below. Basically, the idea was that I wouldn't run these NPCs as actual combatants with initiatives, attack rolls, hit points, and so forth; instead, I handled them mostly narratively in the background fighting against other enemies, holding passes, etc. Each NPC force provided unique benefits to the party. For example, allying with the Duergar of Gracklstugh would have given them steeder mounts and the option to activate psionic wild talents.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 10.31.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-08 at 10.31.16 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 606

Nightbeat84

Explorer
We got up to 5th level in a homebrewed blend of OOtA and Night Below, but I treated all the NPC forces as cards. I'll share an example sheet of cards below. Basically, the idea was that I wouldn't run these NPCs as actual combatants with initiatives, attack rolls, hit points, and so forth; instead, I handled them mostly narratively in the background fighting against other enemies, holding passes, etc. Each NPC force provided unique benefits to the party. For example, allying with the Duergar of Gracklstugh would have given them steeder mounts and the option to activate psionic wild talents.
I like this idea me being still newish having to keep track of all this NPC's would drive me crazy I think but ya having them be more back ground noise but giving the party some passive/active benefits while traveling through the Underdark seems the way to go I do have Matthew Colville's book "Stronghold and followers" might see if that can help figure out some passive/active abilities to give the party

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I had the small army be self-sufficient with some internal strife RP opportunities, and they helped bypass random encounters of the mundane type (the main benefit, imo, as stopping play to mop up 10 goblins isn't very exciting). They really didn't add much to the adventure and the first chance the party got, they parked the army and went their own way to epic-level adventuring. My players were not interested in setting up a "downtime" outpost as they felt there was a timer on this all (the longer we wait, the more damage the demon lords will do).

And I did have a timer in my head. A surface village disappears as Orcus claims it; cultists kidnap and sacrifice so and so as they sense the apocalypse; anything that might reach the party with magical communication from the surface.

Nightbeat84

Explorer
I had the small army be self-sufficient with some internal strife RP opportunities, and they helped bypass random encounters of the mundane type (the main benefit, imo, as stopping play to mop up 10 goblins isn't very exciting). They really didn't add much to the adventure and the first chance the party got, they parked the army and went their own way to epic-level adventuring. My players were not interested in setting up a "downtime" outpost as they felt there was a timer on this all (the longer we wait, the more damage the demon lords will do).

And I did have a timer in my head. A surface village disappears as Orcus claims it; cultists kidnap and sacrifice so and so as they sense the apocalypse; anything that might reach the party with magical communication from the surface.
I see just give them a sense of urgency they will park the army and maybe tell them when they need them for the final confrontation to be at coordinates X and at Y time?

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
I see just give them a sense of urgency they will park the army and maybe tell them when they need them for the final confrontation to be at coordinates X and at Y time?

In retrospect, I would have developed maybe a trio of major events that would allow the army to be used (the Superman dilemma that you have great power like the PCs but you can't be everywhere at once...maybe the PCs can address one, the army another, and one scenario has to be sucked up as a loss). Success of the army in that endeavor would be tied to how well managed it was by the time the PCs got them whipped into shape (or ignored problems), and if the party brought no army, they'd have to live with whatever failure (probably tied into either the finale, making a demon lord stronger, or retrieving one of the spell ingredients, same thing).

At least then, the army would serve a purpose. It's been said many times the 2nd half seemed rushed. Lots of ideas, many of them with very little substance.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
We set them up to support the Snirfneblin town - forgot the name of it, but dang everyplace in that AP seemed to start with a G (Gauntlgrym, Gracklestugh; and the Svirfneblin town)

Remove ads