D&D 5E Curse of Strahd 'Revamped' Boxed Collector's Edition

If you're in the market for a revamped (geddit?) edition of Curse of Strahd (which is my favourite of all the D&D adventures so far) in a coffin-shaped box with additional material, you're in luck! This boxed set is coming out in October and costs $99.99. There's a whole bunch of stuff included: Updated softcover of the adventure itself, including errata and presumably some of the other...

If you're in the market for a revamped (geddit?) edition of Curse of Strahd (which is my favourite of all the D&D adventures so far) in a coffin-shaped box with additional material, you're in luck!

cos_box.png

This boxed set is coming out in October and costs $99.99.

There's a whole bunch of stuff included:
  • Updated softcover of the adventure itself, including errata and presumably some of the other adjustments to Vistani talked about recently.
  • A short 20-book of monsters called Creatures of Horror.
  • Double sided poster map of Barovia and Castle Ravenloft.
  • A Tarokka deck and 8-page booklet.
  • Handouts for players.
  • A dozen 'postcards' from Barovia.
  • A DMs Screen.
Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 7.37.59 PM.png

Updates to the original adventure include errata, minor tweaks, and sections of text which have been identified as problematic regarding the Vistani.

IGN has a video looking inside the box.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So, this is one of the two products involving the Vostani that they mentioned in their statement about diversity. One more incoming...
So, not only did the changes to the Vistani in CoS that they teased turn out to be quite minor, but also one of the two upcoming products featuring the revised Vistani was... The exact same adventure in a boxed set.

How disappointing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
So, not only did the changes to the Vistani in CoS that they teased turn out to be quite minor, but also one of the two upcoming products featuring the revised Vistani was... The exact same adventure in a boxed set.

How disappointing.

Well, if the Q4 book involves 4E style Vistani as a player type, that would be fairly cool. Let's see what Option Number 2 is...

Retreater

Legend
I haven't bought any of the collector's edition stuff. Not going to start now, especially considering I am already running this campaign. Plus physical maps, handouts, and props are worthless in quarantine online games.
So hard pass for me.

Reynard

Legend
This is more evidence that WotC is looking to make its 5E library evergreen. Good. A lot of people have suggested that 5E is the "last edition" of D&D, and if that's rue that means even the early adventures need to stay in print for a long time. And given the attitude changes in the community based on larger societal changes, it's no surprise they wouldn't take the opportunity to make some edits. I expect when they get around to reprinting the hardcover they will use the same insides as this boxed set softcover.

Maybe when they do Dragon Heist they will revise it and actually put a heist in the adventure...

Remove ads

Remove ads