D&D 5E Curse of Strahd spoiler-filled general discussion

Daern

Explorer
My group fled their second foray into the Castle. They were chased by "the Groomsmen of Strahd" (batman monsters I created based on Chasme demons), but drove them off.They spoke to Madame Eva again, who told gave them more backstory and encouragement about the artifacts they have found "The world hinges upon the gathering of such precious things", but she wouldn't lift a finger to help. They made their way back to Argynvostholt. They have been trying to get the dragon skull out of the castle to curry the favor of the revenant knights, but have failed twice. This time they told Sir Horngaard their story of finding the skull and battling Rahadin who is haunted by the souls of slain knights, which convinced him to join them in assaulting the castle to slay the chamberlain. I also revealed the knightly order's tradition of manly love, which was an unexpected twist. The campaign keeps twisting and turning. No one is convinced they can handle the lord of the castle yet, least of all me, though I am ready for the story to end, it has taken on a life of its own.

bleezy

First Post
So... my party decided to go dig up clay golems at the ruins of VR's Tower to farm EXP to get to 8th level.

One crit and one other hit, and two failed saves, later - and the paladin is permanently down 38 HP until he gets a Greater Restoration. Which basically does not exist in Ravenloft as written.

Well as a downtime activity you can remove an effect reducing your maximum hitpoint total, according to page 187 of the PHB.

(this is actually the recovery rule I use for all energy drain in my campaigns)

Arial Black

Adventurer
This. I personally have a problem with "grinding" in any RPG or campaign, but doing it in Ravenloft is just begging for punishment. :lol:

Another reason why I love milestones!

If you used the milestone system, apart from all the other advantages, players have no motive to do that stupid stuff.

(There is always plenty of other stupid stuff they can do!)

Well as a downtime activity you can remove an effect reducing your maximum hitpoint total, according to page 187 of the PHB.

(this is actually the recovery rule I use for all energy drain in my campaigns)

Had not seen that rule - thanks! I wonder what would be easier - getting the druid to 9th level so she can cast Greater Restoration, or going three days in Ravenloft without anything bad happening.

knasser

First Post
This narrative structure I would reject completely. It mixes excuses for Strahd's behavior with victim-blaming and comes up with a particularly nasty mix, especially as the entire game is more or less a metaphor for spousal abuse. This makes Strahd way too sympathetic and far less responsible for his actions, which is... way too much like every other story about an evil vampire, ever. It's beyond trope; it's stereotype. Strahd didn't conquer those lands for the people, or to keep anyone safe: he did it because he loves to conquer people, consolidate his power, and he's good at it. It's all about power and glory, which makes his inability to gain the attention of a woman even more frustrating to him: he can't conquer her (thanks to her pesky free will and his lack of any warmth or reason for her to like him) which infuriates him, especially as he is clearly someone used to bending everything in his path to his will. He doesn't damn his brother because he's jealous, or because other people like him: he damns him because he is an obstacle in his path to the object he desires to possess, just like anything else. Strahd doesn't love Tatyana; he wants to conquer and lord over her - which is much easier as a vampire, since you can remove someone's free will and force your way/vision/self onto them. That's what he loves about being a vampire: now he can also conquer people's souls as well as their lands and bodies.

The idea that he's upset because the villagers he worked so hard to save don't have the proper thanks for him just makes me throw up in my mouth a little. :) Which isn't me saying it's a bad idea! It's just me saying I'd never use it. I feel like it goes entirely against the flow of the story.

Wow! That's quite the reaction! I made you throw up in your mouth? Now I know that my writing is impactful. ;) :)

So first off, my story was the original story as presented in the AD&D Ravenloft boxed set with one minor embellishment (having seen Tatyana before) so whilst you're free to reject it, I don't think it's fair to say it "goes entirely agsinst the flow of the story". It goes against the flow of yours. And it also ties back to what I said in my first post which is that some people require Strahd to be evil prior to the Tatyana affair because they need to avoid any hint of "victim blaming" on others. It is insufficient that Tatyana intends no evil towards Strahd (as in my version), her actions must not even unintentionally be the cause of Strahd's turn to the dark. As I said in my opening post, for such people (who may throw up in their mouth a little ;) ), they have to make Strahd pre-Evil. And that's, imo, the chief reason they move away from the original story in which Tatyana's rejection leads to Strahd's evil. But as I also wrote, Ravenloft is Gothic Horror. If the notion of rejection driving someone to madness, despair or extremes is verbotten to you, then you must really hate Wuthering Heights and other such Gothic romances.

What I wrote was to address people who say it's unrealistic to suddenly flip to such drastic despair and evil due to a beloved rejecting one's advances. I highlighted context that is easy to miss - this isn't meeting someone you like and asking them out. This is a person who has given his life that she, her family, his brother, his people can live in safety. And not just given his life but endured decades of hardship. It is very understandable that he feels betrayed when he finds his brother for whom he has risked his life countless times (and who has been living in comfort on Strahd's dime for years) should seduce away the girl that Strahd loves or that she should fall instead for his feckless brother who has done nothing for her in comparison to Strahd. Such reactions are natural and something that most people could understand. Even if they've never made a pact with Death for immortal vengeance, there are few people who haven't at least yelled or punched a wall or something in a situation like that. ;) You say that you'll "reject completely" this story because it makes Strahd too sympathetic. But the best villains are sympathetic. You say it's "beyond trope" but to me the "just evil 'cause" is the worst and most basic of tropes. You say it makes Strahd "less responsible for his actions". I'm not sure I agree with that. It's his choice, but for him to not be just "teh evilz" there needs to be something that pushed him to that breaking point. And in the original story it was Tatyana's rejection in favour of his brother. All I have done is write it a little more fleshed out to highlight the betrayal aspect. And yeah, if I left to risk my life for a bro and came back to find he was putting the moves on the girl I loved, I'd feel pretty betrayed too. Who wouldn't?

You say that it's "not a bad idea" which is fine, but it's not my idea. This is the essential story from the old box set as I remember it. I've only written a fuller version of it. As I prefaced my original post with, some reject the original story because they require Strahd to be already evil to satisfy a need on their part that Tatyana play no part in making him so (intentionally or otherwise). I believe that is similarly why some people insist that his desire mustn't be love, but must be some need to possess. Love evokes sympathy, a "need to possess" demonises him. These are the reasons some people want to revise the tale, imo. Dismissing it because it is "beyond a trope" rings false for me when the replacement is to turn a villain from a sympathetic, tragic character to a 'he was already evil'. The entire thing is a Dracula pastiche anyway so people with an allergy to stereotypes are already going to need to be dosing themselves up with antihistamines. What I've tried to do is, for those who like Gothic tales (which Ravenloft is the setting for), pad out the story a little so it is more relatable. Many of us enjoy that. I don't feel we can just look at Wuthering Heights, Othello, the Aeneid, Fielding's A History of Tom Jones and wipe them all away in horror because "victim blaming". One can read a story containing themes of rejection and revenge without oneself thinking its okay to kill someone for rejecting you. The essence of the Gothic is to make us feel dark emotions. Whether that be through reading, a visual medium, or listening to tales told by the fire or the wireless. Frozen makes us feel emotions, but its not a Gothic just because it has a castle in it. Frozen is not a Gothic because the emotions it makes us feel are joy, love, relief... In contrast, Gaston Leroux's novel Le Fantôme de l'Opéra (which you can guess the English title of) IS a gothic because the emotions it evokes are Jealousy, Despair, Loss and Vengeance. If I sound emphatic on this subject it is because I am championing Ravenloft as a settting for the Gothic. It is not an exploration, imo, of absolutism in morality - though of course you can run it as such as you wish. But I think it is an exploration of the bleak and labyrinthine corridors of the human mind. Good stories evoke empathy and emotion in the part of the audience. If the audience is led to empathise with upstanding and emotionally well-balanced people who accept that the person whose life they've saved has now gotten together with the one they love by shrugging and saying "I respect that my needs must come second to someone's right to choose" well that's one kind of story but it's not a dark one. And honestly, they probably wont engage much anyway because that attitude represents a triumph of intellectualisation over visceral, blood-thumping fury and who gets emotionally involved in that? But if they empathise with dark emotions, then you have a gothic.

If your objection is that it condones Strahd's state and actions by "excusing" them, then you miss the point of tragedies and gothics with such themes. Othello doesn't teach us the destructive power of jealousy and possessiveness by presenting a character who suborns their feelings and rationally disengages their emotions. Such a tale would leave no impact on the reader. It teaches us that jealousy and possessiveness bring ruination and despair. Even death. By showing it. Our ancestors understood the Cautionary Tale. A Strahd such as I described, a Strahd as told in the original boxed set doesn't make wreaking vengeance on a bride seem okay. Drawing the reader in to see Strahd's point of view shows the tragedy of it in full emotive glory. Tales that evoke dark emotions - and I think most of us can all relate to Strahd as I have written him - are no less valuable than tales that fill us full of light emotions. Maybe even more valuable for their being rare today.

Ravenloft is a hearkening for the old, the dark and the romantic. The landscapes are beautiful by day and terriffying by moonlight. It's Far From the Madding Crowd, Frankenstein, Great Expectations, Woman in White. The emotions it was meant to evoke were dark ones. You can't do that if the audience lacks sympathy with the main characters. And in Ravenloft there is only one main character and his name is Strahd.

Last edited:

evilbob

Explorer
So first off, my story was the original story as presented in the AD&D Ravenloft boxed set with one minor embellishment (having seen Tatyana before) so whilst you're free to reject it, I don't think it's fair to say it "goes entirely agsinst the flow of the story". It goes against the flow of yours.
The AD&D Ravenloft was published in 1983. That module's 33 years old. It has a spouse and kids in school. And it is not the story of the new 5.0 Ravenloft, which is an entirely different beast (pun intended) and rightfully so. So I stand by my statements: I'm not personally interested in the motivations you suggested, I feel like they make Strahd far too sympathetic (which is stereotype for vampires these days and also essentially the opposite of what Strahd is), and I do not believe they are part the core story presented by this module.

In my opinion Strahd isn't "teh evilz." There's no "moment" that suddenly causes him to "go bad" because that's unrealistic and sort of silly (but certainly a trope of gothic horror, I agree). He's just a person who was born to power, and continued to take power and behave as he wished. He conquers, he takes, and eventually he decides it is his right to do so. There's no betrayal involved: he's simply unable to possess the object he currently decides should be his. The tragedy is in his inability to change or consider another perspective, and how it ultimately leads him to murder innocent people simply because they are in his way, at which point he deserves no sympathy. He of course is a master at presenting this in a sympathetic light, and casting himself as a victim of unfortunate circumstances and betrayal and scorn, but it's all misdirection. It's his trick to make you think he's sympathetic so that he can use you to further his straightforward goal: to possess the object of his desires, whatever that might be.

But whatever! If you want to rewrite it to make it more interesting to you, that's totally cool! If you like something else that's written before, that's totally cool! If you think I'm wrong and that the module DOES support this, that's also totally cool! My opinion is that it goes against the grain of this adventure, and it's sort of a stereotype at this point, but like I said originally, that doesn't mean it's bad or wrong. Play as you see fit.

knasser

First Post
The AD&D Ravenloft was published in 1983. That module's 33 years old. It has a spouse and kids in school. And it is not the story of the new 5.0 Ravenloft, which is an entirely different beast (pun intended) and rightfully so. So I stand by my statements: I'm not personally interested in the motivations you suggested, I feel like they make Strahd far too sympathetic (which is stereotype for vampires these days and also essentially the opposite of what Strahd is), and I do not believe they are part the core story presented by this module.

In my opinion Strahd isn't "teh evilz." There's no "moment" that suddenly causes him to "go bad" because that's unrealistic and sort of silly (but certainly a trope of gothic horror, I agree). He's just a person who was born to power, and continued to take power and behave as he wished. He conquers, he takes, and eventually he decides it is his right to do so. There's no betrayal involved: he's simply unable to possess the object he currently decides should be his. The tragedy is in his inability to change or consider another perspective, and how it ultimately leads him to murder innocent people simply because they are in his way, at which point he deserves no sympathy. He of course is a master at presenting this in a sympathetic light, and casting himself as a victim of unfortunate circumstances and betrayal and scorn, but it's all misdirection. It's his trick to make you think he's sympathetic so that he can use you to further his straightforward goal: to possess the object of his desires, whatever that might be.

But whatever! If you want to rewrite it to make it more interesting to you, that's totally cool! If you like something else that's written before, that's totally cool! If you think I'm wrong and that the module DOES support this, that's also totally cool! My opinion is that it goes against the grain of this adventure, and it's sort of a stereotype at this point, but like I said originally, that doesn't mean it's bad or wrong. Play as you see fit.

Thank you. I was worried about your blessing! :erm: And this from the person who replied to my post, stating how it made them throw up in their mouth, was beyond trope, goes completely against the flow of the story and described it as "a particularly nasty mix" with a pretty strong overtone of "you're wrong". And in each of your posts rounds it off with a passive-aggressive "but whatever, your game" sentiment. Full of yourself, much?

My post didn't quote you, wasn't directed at anyone in particular and explicitly stated it was the original story of Strahd and I was posting to provide some insight to modern day audiences who probably don't have a tradition of feudal lordship foremost in their way of thinking. Your post is filled with assertions of how Strahd is - he is like this, that's just Strahd faking, the module doesn't support X (my post explicitly is in the context of the original story which many people prefer), et al.

I've already answered everything in my previous post. To go around the circle again of things like you telling me it's a stereotype just so I can again say that (a) it's a Dracula pastiche what do you expect? and (b) it isn't because what I'm doing is deepening the original story by highlighting the betrayal aspects; that wont achieve anything. Probably just more expressions of how sickened you are by a different take on the story. There are lots of ways you can tell a story. None are right or wrong, only told well or told badly. There was a debate going on between people who preferred the original and people who preferred a revised version of the story. Some were critical of the former because they thought it was silly for someone to snap in a moment and make a pact with death because of rejection by a woman . I took that on board and I feel I made a pretty good stab at addressing that perceived weakness by showing the context is much more than that, it's a betrayal by all those around him. Betrayal IS something that can make someone snap quickly. That's not "a trope", that's human nature.

My post was simply an attempt to tell one of the stories better. It isn't a challenge to the stories you want to tell. If it were, my original post would have been addressed in reply to one of yours. There are no right stories. But Ravenloft is a much loved setting, the original module and the boxed set it spawned are much loved and unsurprisingly there are many about, including in this thread, who like the original story and were discussing it. You have made very clear to people that you find the original story "nasty" and have been pretty vicious in attacking my attempt to tell it in a better way, so it's a bit of an affectation to keep pulling the "but that doesn't mean I think you're wrong" stuff at the end of each deluge of assertions about what the story really is. There isn't a real story. Just good or bad ways to tell it. Mine is fine.

Daern

Explorer
My players have lit the beacon of Argynvost, established a new settlement there, and decided to waterwalk across the Lake Zarovich to find the Mad Mage. They found him and battled him, defeating the Mordenkainen!!!!!!
The players just keep exploring new corners of Barovia, its really cool, I almost dont want it to end, but then I also want them to finally battle this guy once and for all.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
My main group just arrived at the Castle for a second time... this time with the intention to do three things-- finally find the Sunsword and the Tome of Strahd (both of which are in the Castle), and also to find Ireena... as she was already claimed by Strahd and was bitten for the third time previously, which I gave them a time-table of seven days to go find her and get her in order to possibly try and "cure" her before she became a vampire spawn of Strahd herself. Things worked out such that Strahd wasn't actually at the Castle, as he was left out at Yester Hill daydreaming out over the illusionary home town seen in the mists.

They arrived with a cask from the Wizard of Wines, using it as their excuse to get into the Castle (as the Castle is preparing for Strahd and Ireena's wedding once her transformaton is complete). While most of them took the cask down through the servant's entrance to the wine cellar (and interacting with Cyrus Belview), for whatever reason a pair of the party went off in their own direction-- one of which found his way into the tower with the Heart of Sorrow via the secret door in the servant's quarters. He then proceeded to do everything in his power to get to the top of the tower and then try and break the Heart.

Now I honestly don't know if this player has ever read or played I6 before, so I can't say whether his choice was a bit of metagaming on his part, but if it was, he did a very good job of masking his knowledge. He definitely made it seem like a logical choice of thinking "Hey, there's this huge beating crystal in the tallest tower of the castle, stopping the beating is probably not a bad idea!" But needless to say I wasn't going to let him get away with it that easily, and after he threw Cyrus's treasure chest down onto it (losing the beautiful crown/tiara in the process) and causing a bit of cracks to form, the sound of the breakage reverberated throughout the castle and shortly after a pair of Strahd's vampire spawn brides arrived to try and stop him.

Hearing the loud crash (and subsequent second crash as the fighter leapt down onto the Heart itself and smashed his two rapiers into the crack that had formed)... the rest of the party found their way back up from the wine cellar to find out just what the hell he was doing-- now having a nice little pitched battle between him and the pair of vampire brides on top of the Heart. The rest of the party saw the Heart cracking open and starting to break, so they continued to assault it from near the base of the tower using long-range magic... and when the Heart finally did shatter I decided to roll piercing and lightning damage for anyone within the tower as the crystal shards exploded, fell, and released all its magical energy.

Unfortunately for the party, six of the eight PCs failed their DEX saving throws (even with a handful rolling twice with Inspiration) and I rolled only slightly lower that max damage on the 4d10 piercing/electrical damage from the energized shards. Thereby knocking unconscious those six of eight party members, including the fighter who had been on top of the Heart and had dived off a round earlier (and the Arcane Trickster having Readied a Feather Fall spell for him when he dropped into range.) And thus ended the session. :)

So next session I have a bard and a currently wildshaped druid that have to somehow recover six PCs before the two vampire spawn brides (who were hurt but not nearly killed) either fly off to find Rahadin to clean up this big mess of the loss of the Heart and bring back reinforcements, or they just start delivering killing blows to everybody if they decide that's the best course of action. In either case... the brides know that when the Master returns to the Castle, he is going to be PISSED.

It goes without saying that I was cackling the entire time this was going on-- as it was an absolutely awesome set of actions and fight on the one hand, and also the exact stupidest thing the group should have been doing with their short amount of free time there on the other. Cause if they think they're going to get to just waltz around the Castle now looking for the two artifacts or Ireena unhindered, they're sorely mistaken. Assuming of course none of them die from their injuries that is, ha ha!

LightningArrow

First Post
Some things in here are wrong, so I'll point them out:

- Strahd hadn't made his pact before meeting Tatyana. He did it because he didn't want to be seen as a dying old man in her eyes.
- Strahd didn't kill Tatyana. She chose to jump off a cliff. If there's one person he would never kill, that's her.
- It can't be definitely stated whether Strahd was evil or not before the takeover. He was a soldier seeking more land on bereft of his family legacy, and he could even be unaware that the dragon was a good one. "Weird thing standing on my way? Let's kill it." That's how most of our world's history went, anyway.

Last edited:

Remove ads