D&D 5E Curse of Strahd - What am I missing? (Possible spoilers?)

Curse of Strahd seems to get universal acclaim. I was excited to play it. Yet, I found my experience lacking. I wouldn't say I hated it, that may be too strong a word, but I definitely found it disappointing. Now, I was a player and I have no idea what the DM altered, cut, or just simply forgot about. So it is entirely possible that my experience will be completely different than yours.

First off, this didn't feel like Ravenloft to me. If it didn't say Strahd on the tin it could have easily just as been Generic Spooky Setting. The Dark Powers and their influence were completely absent. Magic worked just fine and we never had to roll a Dark Powers Check. Fear, horror or madness checks were completely absent, too. Everyone seemed scared of Strahd but that was it. He was just this boogey man in a castle. There really wasn't any evidence of his influence and hold over the people other than their fear.

Around level 4, the campaign started to take a turn towards silliness. Everything went from "Oh my goodness, how are we going to survive?" to "Wolves? Again? Alright." Now, this was shortly after our only PC death (The bard died saving the paladin and letting the warlock escape) so I don't know if the DM pulled back on some things, if events occurred behind the scenes that we simply weren't aware of, or if Level 3 to Level 4 is a big power jump for players. I'll admit my 5E system mastery is not amazing. It's not that I wanted a meat grinder of a game but there were a few times were we just had the paladin face tank encounters. The worst example would have been the coffin maker's home. Now it may be that we encountered that fight much later than we were supposed to due to the sandbox-y nature of the module but I feel like a big fight with vampire spawn should not devolve into the paladin casts Protection from Good and Evil and laughs as the monsters feebly scratch at his armor.

Maybe my group falls into the Thick as Mud category but, I feel like we had some unclear agency. None of us really cared about Barovia. We just wanted to leave. Well, the bard cared but he died and so went the morale compass of the party. And so most of our adventuring consisted of looking at the map of Barovia and going "Well, we haven't been here yet. Maybe what we need is there?" and then later putting a big red X on the map and asking Ezmerelda for help on what we should be doing. Yes, we had the vistani prophecy but none of us really could make heads or tails of what we should be doing with it.

I did not like Ezmerelda. Parts of the campaign felt like we were just following her around and she felt a bit too much like a Mary Sue.

We dumped Irena off on Rictavio and the two of them hid in Valaki without any problems. So Irena's plight just sort of ended with a whimper.

I feel like the end game of the module was weak, too. Strahd showed up when we restored Argonvost and through a combination of crazy tactics and dumb luck we managed to trounce him. Now, the party was going to poke around and try to follow up on a few ideas we had still: the ghostly army and the mage that fell over Tser Falls. But then it started to snow and Ezmerelda (The DM?) was like "No, we need to go to the castle. Now." Which leads me to...

The Sunblade. Now, the impression I got from all the NPCs was that this was the key to getting an edge in fighting Strahd. An edge. That little bit that might just tip the scales in our favor. Not turn the last dungeon into LOL GG EZ mode. We cranked that sucker to full power, beat on Strahd for a bit (he escaped), and then had a nice long rest in his castle before hunting him down and finishing him off. I think he had some generic skeletons with him at the end but they were almost an after thought at that point. It was hardly the grand showdown with a Dark Lord that I was expecting.

This isn't to say that you are having bad wrong fun if you enjoyed this adventure. I understand that not every campaign or style is for every player. Maybe this just wasn't for me. I'm just wondering if my experience was atypical. Was there something I was missing? Did my friends and I completely bungle our way through the adventure and fail upwards?

Retreater

Legend
Hey. I am currently running this for my group and had a lot of experience running/playing Ravenloft (the campaign setting) in previous editions. But I agree to a certain point. I think that adding sanity and horror checks would go a long way in evoking the classic feel, as well as altering spells. Yes, it is depicted as a standard adventure with horror tropes (so in that way, closer in spirit to the original AD&D 1st edition adventure), but it doesn't really alter the experience of the players as it did in the 2nd edition campaign setting.
So far, I think it is the best of the WotC produced 5e campaign adventures, but it can use a bit to customize it for your group.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In one game we are playing CoS (on a break as we play another game and the DM preps for the castle/ final stages) and I have enjoyed it but found it not challenging at all really. Now, a lot of the challenge has been removed because we've had some pretty stellar plans to deal with things.

Like drowning Baba Lysaga in her tub so she couldn't do anything while two PCs stabbed her to death. It was way too easy as we were only 5th level then

We have 4 PCs. A Paladin, a ranger, a bard/rogue, and a sorcerer/warlock. We are 9th level now after finishing the Amber Temple. We've doing everything at this point except the castle. Hopefully it will be a good challenge, but I am afraid it will be "fun" but not too difficult really.

Now, a friend of mine is watching a group play CoS online (I think he watches their videos on YouTube) and he laughs because they are having a heck of a time! I am surprised how many issues they are having.[/SPOILER]

I see it like a "teaser" or a pilot episode of the future return of the setting. Some details are added, and this for me means there are plants to continue the metaplot with some retcons.

In the right time, Ravenloft will become one of the most important cash-cows for Hasbro, because it's perfect for the market of teenage and (young) adults. I would dare to say we may see a future Ravenloft movie, and not only for D&D fandom but all (gothic) horror fandom.

Nebulous

Legend
I am running this myself now too. I love it, but it's a big, complex, sprawling story. I'm following the advice of an extensive reddit walkthrough and changing some things up. The PCs are about to reach 4th level in Vallaki, and I don't know what is going to happen next, as the sandboxy nature of the module has blown wide open by this point.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Curse of Strahd seems to get universal acclaim. I was excited to play it. Yet, I found my experience lacking. I wouldn't say I hated it, that may be too strong a word, but I definitely found it disappointing. Now, I was a player and I have no idea what the DM altered, cut, or just simply forgot about. So it is entirely possible that my experience will be completely different than yours.

First off, this didn't feel like Ravenloft to me. If it didn't say Strahd on the tin it could have easily just as been Generic Spooky Setting. The Dark Powers and their influence were completely absent. Magic worked just fine and we never had to roll a Dark Powers Check. Fear, horror or madness checks were completely absent, too. Everyone seemed scared of Strahd but that was it. He was just this boogey man in a castle. There really wasn't any evidence of his influence and hold over the people other than their fear.

Around level 4, the campaign started to take a turn towards silliness. Everything went from "Oh my goodness, how are we going to survive?" to "Wolves? Again? Alright." Now, this was shortly after our only PC death (The bard died saving the paladin and letting the warlock escape) so I don't know if the DM pulled back on some things, if events occurred behind the scenes that we simply weren't aware of, or if Level 3 to Level 4 is a big power jump for players. I'll admit my 5E system mastery is not amazing. It's not that I wanted a meat grinder of a game but there were a few times were we just had the paladin face tank encounters. The worst example would have been the coffin maker's home. Now it may be that we encountered that fight much later than we were supposed to due to the sandbox-y nature of the module but I feel like a big fight with vampire spawn should not devolve into the paladin casts Protection from Good and Evil and laughs as the monsters feebly scratch at his armor.

Maybe my group falls into the Thick as Mud category but, I feel like we had some unclear agency. None of us really cared about Barovia. We just wanted to leave. Well, the bard cared but he died and so went the morale compass of the party. And so most of our adventuring consisted of looking at the map of Barovia and going "Well, we haven't been here yet. Maybe what we need is there?" and then later putting a big red X on the map and asking Ezmerelda for help on what we should be doing. Yes, we had the vistani prophecy but none of us really could make heads or tails of what we should be doing with it.

I did not like Ezmerelda. Parts of the campaign felt like we were just following her around and she felt a bit too much like a Mary Sue.

We dumped Irena off on Rictavio and the two of them hid in Valaki without any problems. So Irena's plight just sort of ended with a whimper.

I feel like the end game of the module was weak, too. Strahd showed up when we restored Argonvost and through a combination of crazy tactics and dumb luck we managed to trounce him. Now, the party was going to poke around and try to follow up on a few ideas we had still: the ghostly army and the mage that fell over Tser Falls. But then it started to snow and Ezmerelda (The DM?) was like "No, we need to go to the castle. Now." Which leads me to...

The Sunblade. Now, the impression I got from all the NPCs was that this was the key to getting an edge in fighting Strahd. An edge. That little bit that might just tip the scales in our favor. Not turn the last dungeon into LOL GG EZ mode. We cranked that sucker to full power, beat on Strahd for a bit (he escaped), and then had a nice long rest in his castle before hunting him down and finishing him off. I think he had some generic skeletons with him at the end but they were almost an after thought at that point. It was hardly the grand showdown with a Dark Lord that I was expecting.

This isn't to say that you are having bad wrong fun if you enjoyed this adventure. I understand that not every campaign or style is for every player. Maybe this just wasn't for me. I'm just wondering if my experience was atypical. Was there something I was missing? Did my friends and I completely bungle our way through the adventure and fail upwards?
It sounds like your DM had a hard time using the adventure, to me.

Madame Eva’s reading should have been a fairly solid guide as to where to go and what you needed, especially with the help of the book of Strahd.

I definitely prefer to modify Irena’s place in the module to be a bit beefier, including having her take up arms and help you regardless of who the ally is, but it sounds like the DM may have skipped some stuff.

Overall, I recommend folks read slyflourish’s take on running CoS.

Nebulous

Legend
It sounds like your DM had a hard time using the adventure, to me.

Madame Eva’s reading should have been a fairly solid guide as to where to go and what you needed, especially with the help of the book of Strahd.

I definitely prefer to modify Irena’s place in the module to be a bit beefier, including having her take up arms and help you regardless of who the ally is, but it sounds like the DM may have skipped some stuff.

yes, Eva's fortunes should give the PCs a rough roadmap of where to go. I chose the cards ahead of time and just pretended they were random picks, the players had no idea. I actually put Pidlwick II in Vallaki with the toymaker and made him a magic item/ally. He now works like a ring of regeneration for the rogue, but is still an evil little Chucky doll.

We have a new player coming soon and I think she is going to play Ireena as a fully statted PC.

I think it is a really tough adventure to prep for. I highly recommend anyone running this to find a guideline, it will make your life much easier. Vallakki gets into Game of Thrones territory with political machinations and sheer number of NPCs to interact with.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
In my opinion, Curse of Strahd has very strong bones, but needs a good DM to flesh them out. I think that’s part of why it’s so popular with DMs - it gives you a really solid framework and leaves you the space to make the adventure your own. And that’s great for DMs who like to tinker. But if you’ve got a DM who wants to just run an adventure straight out of the book, it’s likely to be a struggle. I speak from experience, as the first time I DMed Curse of Strahd I was not yet confident enough to want to try putting my own touch on it. I tried to just run it “by-the-book”, and that campaign had a lot of the same issues you describe here. I’m currently on my second pass at the adventure and this time I’ve been treating the book as more of a setting guide for a sandbox instead of an on-rails adventure like most of the 5e modules have been. Approaching it this way is working much, MUCH better.

Remove ads