Custom Shield Proficiency Feat Ideas

ro

First Post
One of my PCs is playing a sorcerer and would like to spend a feat to gain proficiency in shields. I believe that the only RAW ways for her to gain shield proficiency are through multi-classing or taking the Moderately Armored feat, which requires proficiency in light armor (which sorcerers do not get).

I am considering creating a custom feat to grant shield proficiency, but feel that it should give additional benefits in order to be balanced. Since the Moderately Armored feat gives three things (+1 to STR or DEX, shield proficiency, and medium armor proficiency), I am leaning towards +1 to STR or DEX, shield proficiency, plus 1 more thing.

Any suggestions on what the 1 more thing should be? Skill proficiency in either athletics or acrobatics?

Alternately, please let me know if this is a terrible idea. :)

Thanks in advance.

This is a great idea, and you are right on track for making a balanced feat.

The simplest way is to combine the ideas you presented. I have worked on a feat called Trained that is a 10-point buy, with an ASI worth 5, shield proficiency worth 3, and a skill worth 2. This lines up nicely with the balance of features of 1st level Cleric domains, and it matches all of the Unearthed Arcana Feats for Skills that were floated a few months ago.

I feel like Athletics fits well with shields, but Acrobatics not as much.

Your simple, balanced feat would be:

Shielded

Increase your Strength or Dexterity by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency with shields.
You gain proficiency with the Athletics skill. If you are already proficient with Athletics, you instead gain advantage on Athletics checks.​

Sadras

Legend
Shielded

Increase your Strength or Dexterity by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You gain proficiency with the Athletics skill. If you are already proficient with Athletics, you instead gain advantage on Athletics checks.​

SHIELDED = Attributed Boost (+1 STR or DEX) + Shield Proficiency (usually +2AC benefit) + Skill Proficiency (Athletics)

Now measure your homebrew feat against

SKILLED = You gain proficiency in any combination of three skills or tools of your choice.

ro

First Post
SHIELDED = Attributed Boost (+1 STR or DEX) + Shield Proficiency (usually +2AC benefit) + Skill Proficiency (Athletics)

Now measure your homebrew feat against

SKILLED = You gain proficiency in any combination of three skills or tools of your choice.

Skilled is a very weak feat that almost nobody ever selects. Nothing should be weighed against it. It should at least have a +1 ASI attached to it.

I would go with... Prof in shields plus one of the following - use bonus as d4 bash attack, draw/sling shield as interaction like weapons.[/URL]

I like the latter idea. I would leave shield-bashing to a Shield Master variant. Armor proficiency feats don't give additional bonuses to the armor, so I think we should be careful here.

Shielded

Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You can draw and don or doff and stow a shield as easily as a weapon.​

Sadras

Legend
Skilled is a very weak feat that almost nobody ever selects. Nothing should be weighed against it. It should at least have a +1 ASI attached to it.

Personally that is too much.

Shielded

Increase your Strength or Dexterity score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
You can draw and don or doff and stow a shield as easily as a weapon.​

Much better :)

jgsugden

Legend
Hoplite Training

You gain Str +1, Proficiency with Shields, Proficiency with Spears, and treat Spears as d8 damage weapons (d10 versatile).

Remove ads