Custom Treasure Card maker using Magic Set Editor (MSE)

pdzoch

Explorer
I've created a treasure card maker using the Magic Set Editor. While the Gamemastery Item Cards are great, they lacked the customization and variety I needed for my campaign. I've discovered that players REALLY like getting some sort of token that represented the treasure they found in the game. It was also helpful if the token also included the rules of the treasure. I also found that the players tended to forget some magic items that just sat in their inventory unless they had some physical reminder that they had the item. I also use these card to represent the currency in the game -- creating cards to 1,5, 10, 50, 100, and 1000 coin denominations.

This set is very customizable. There is an image slot for the treasure. And text fields include Name of the treasure, Description of the treasure, and Sourcebook for the treasure (in those cases that the description in rules were simply too long to provide in the space).

The card background is defaulted to a "Natural Parchment" background, and the theme is Dragons and Swords. The Dragon icon set atop the card, and the Sword icons act as borders, but are optional. A Dragon icon is also optional on the bottom of the card facing the top Dragon.

There are several ways in which you can represent rarity and category of the treasure. You can change the background style (with some styles coming in a variety of colors), the Dragon colors, and sword colors (including having different colors for each Dragon and Sword).

My set uses the default "natural parchment", the Dragons represent the type of treasure (for example: White is the Wondrous Items), and the swords represent the rarity (for example: the glowing gold sword is for Legendary Items).

You will need the DnDvecnaSC font for the style.

I will include the files in the download section. Below are some examples of the cards.

Attachments

• Leather Armor 3.jpg
    Leather Armor 3.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,387
  • Wonderous Goldfish.jpg
    Wonderous Goldfish.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,478
  • Thieves Tools.jpg
    Thieves Tools.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,346
  • Magic Short Sword 1.jpg
    Magic Short Sword 1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,341
  • Magic Shield 2.jpg
    Magic Shield 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,378
  • 1000 Gold Coins.jpg
    1000 Gold Coins.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,497
  • TreasureCards-Art.mse-style.zip
    8 MB · Views: 506
  • TreasureCards.mse-game.zip
    21.8 KB · Views: 691
Last edited:

pdzoch

Explorer
Updated files

It was brought to my attention that my font choice is out of date. The font is now simply called Vecna and is available here: http://www.fontspace.com/pixel-sagas/vecna. I have updated the style file to reflect the current font. I have also added a new "jeweled dragon" as one of the dragon banner options.

Attachments

• Dragon Banner Jewel.png
    Dragon Banner Jewel.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,262
Last edited:

Ouronos

Explorer
Greetings...

Having been one to use your templates and content with 4E, I am very interested in utilizing your 5E content.
I am, however, terribad at creating content like this. I am great at editing and following directions, but for creating initial templates and content I am just bad.

Is there any chance I can convince you to release/send a copy of your campaign content for me to use as a basis for creation/adjusting?
I completely understand if the answer is in the negative, but they say it cannot harm to ask.

Until that time...

pdzoch

Explorer
Greetings...

Having been one to use your templates and content with 4E, I am very interested in utilizing your 5E content.
I am, however, terribad at creating content like this. I am great at editing and following directions, but for creating initial templates and content I am just bad.

Is there any chance I can convince you to release/send a copy of your campaign content for me to use as a basis for creation/adjusting?
I completely understand if the answer is in the negative, but they say it cannot harm to ask.

Until that time...

I'll see what I can do. I haven't done anything too great with the campaign treasure. Most my treasure has come from the source books.

I just find an image online that I like to best represent the treasure and add the rules text. I keep a stock of generic potion bottles for the variety of potions. I use the same scroll image for each of the magic scrolls. I found images for all the types of gems that I use for the gemstone treasure, and I've found suitable coins images that I like for the campaign that I use for the coin treasure. If I see a really cool image on line that looks like it should be a magic item, I borrow it and make up some sort of magic artifact description to match it. There are several threads in this forum that provide tons of magic items or inspiration for magic items. Other mundane treasure, such as art items, is a little harder to find an appropriate image, but these are easily swapped with a different item you can find an image for, changing the name and description if necessary, but the value remains the same. (if you are using art items).

I am working on a new treasure file format that will provide more useful data fields for sorting and organizing, and added a whole lot more options to the design of the card with the template. I hope to have that out in the next week or so. I'll posty a sneak peak of those cards soon.

Ouronos

Explorer
Greetings...

It doesn't have to be great; believe me, something is better than nothing.
It isn't the creation of the items that complexes me - it's the creation of the cards. Having a set of cards to work from and adjust makes it infinitely easier for me.

I'm one of those people that can visualize just about everything... It just gets lost in translation from mind to hand.
Hopefully you (or some of the other readers of the threads) can understand what I'm saying and can offer something to assist.

Until that time...

pdzoch

Explorer
Greetings...

It doesn't have to be great; believe me, something is better than nothing.
It isn't the creation of the items that complexes me - it's the creation of the cards. Having a set of cards to work from and adjust makes it infinitely easier for me.

I'm one of those people that can visualize just about everything... It just gets lost in translation from mind to hand.
Hopefully you (or some of the other readers of the threads) can understand what I'm saying and can offer something to assist.

Until that time...

Attached is one of my treasure collections for the magic set editor using my template. Does this help? I actually had to create a "legend" card to keep track of how I was using the card symbols.

Attachments

• Treasure.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 342

Ouronos

Explorer
Jeweled Dragon

This, in fact, is perfect. This gives me a great point to jump from. Thank you. I won't be using your exact legends, but seeing the legends gives me some good ideas of what I want to do.

I did note that regarding the dragons, that I do not see "Jeweled" as an option; did I miss a file, or setting, or something?

Last edited:

pdzoch

Explorer
The game and file style were updated from the original one upload -- it should be the last choice of dragons. If you downloaded the file when I first posted it in april 15, you will have to redownload the newer files as they have been updated.

Ouronos

Explorer
I only recently downloaded and installed the files. The jeweled dragon graphic is in the appropriate folder, but it is not showing up on the menu. Could I have botched in the install somehow?

pdzoch

Explorer
I only recently downloaded and installed the files. The jeweled dragon graphic is in the appropriate folder, but it is not showing up on the menu. Could I have botched in the install somehow?

No error on your part. I checked my uploaded game files and noticed that I did not include the update. I had only updated the style file. The new game file is uploaded now, so download it and youwill have the right files.

Remove ads