(Cydra) Great Conflicts

the Jester

Legend
Glaisig's Distraction

8/8/371 O.L.G., Var: Twenty-Nine Days Ago

Inoke is walking towards the castle, whistling to himself, after a visit to Sigil. He is full, having just eaten a nice meal served up at the party’s favorite local watering hole, which Lester had long ago introduced them to.

Then he feels a metaphysical sensation like the brushing of lips across his ear. He recognizes it and composes his mind: someone is issuing him a sending.

The words come, and he instantly recognizes the voice: Prayzose, God-Emperor of Forinthia, Arrow of Law and descendant of Dexter. One of the party’s adversaries, if not actual enemies.

Inoke, it’s Prayzose. I would like to meet with you. If you agree, open your mind to me and I will bring you here.

Inoke hesitates for an instant. Prayzose could be trying to trick him, to get him to lower his guard. Yet- Prayzose is an honorable man, a sometimes ally, and is staunchly both Lawful and, perhaps more importantly, Good.

He makes his decision. Okay, Inoke replies, his words carried back to the God-Emperor by the spell, give me ten minutes.

Quickly, Inoke initiates many defensive psionic powers. Then he writes a brief letter to Horbin the Holy, dispatching it via messenger to be delivered if he fails to return shortly. Then he breathes deeply, stills his mind and waits.

The touch of Prayzose’s powerful mind on his is gentle, probing; and a moment later the warrior feels a sudden psychic snap of power, and he is elsewhere.

This must be the Imperial Palace, thinks Inoke in wonder.

The hall he is in has two rows of pillar, lined in gilt, running down its long axis. Off to either side are couches, writing tables, ottomans and other comfortable furnishings. The walls are painted with frescoes depicting the glory of Galador and Forinthia, the power and magnificent of past emperors and high priests, the presence and virtues of the saints and scenes of the fields of Heaven. Prayzose stands before him, his body sheathed in a gentle glow. A friendly smile is on his face. “I wasn’t sure that you would be willing to come,” he says. “Welcome.” The Emperor’s elite guards stand at various points around the room.

“Thank you,” Inoke answers warily. No one is moving to threaten him, but he feels very out of place. He is all too aware that Prayzose has many allies that would love to see the warmind and his friends destroyed. He decides to get right to the point. “Did you want something in particular?”

“Yes, I want to make you an offer. Please,” the God-Emperor hurries, before Inoke can interject, “hear me out. I am not going to ask you to do anything against your morals.”

“I will not betray my friends,” Inoke growls.

“I will not ask you to. Please, hear me out.”

Inoke nods. “Very well.”

Prayzose begins walking towards a door. “Please, join me for dinner. We can talk privately while we eat.” Reluctantly, suspiciously, Inoke follows him.

Dinner is lovely, with many courses. Many of the items served, surprisingly enough, are of the sort that Inoke might have eaten at home on the Parrot Isles. He glances at Prayzose with respect. The man knows how to make an impression, certainly. And he has proven his moral integrity in the past. Still, the warmind is very suspicious.

True to his word, Prayzose dismisses his servants and keeps only a handful of his most trusted guards around him while they eat. There are a few minutes of small talk as the meal begins. Inoke has just begun to wonder when the man will get to the point, and then Emperor Prayzose looks Inoke in the eye and, with a smile, says, “Well, let’s get down to it, shall we?

“The reason I asked you here, Inoke, is to talk about the state of affairs between you and your friends and the forces of Law. You are Lawful yourself; surely you can recognize the benefits of an orderly, peaceful society. Your friends and you, by fighting Law, are preventing the formation of such a society. With organization, we can build roads; by working together, we can use those roads to send food from an area with a surplus to an area suffering from famine. We can work together to defend humanity from both monsters and evil men. We can protect society as a whole, whereas in an anarchy, with every man and woman working alone for his or her own benefit, there will be rape, murder and theft running rampant. You and I both have an interest in preventing that. We both care about people. We both want to protect the weak.”

Inoke replies, “You say that you would work together with me to protect people from monsters and evil men, but you work with evil men. And worse! Look at the creatures you have allied with as an Arrow of Law- Dekrasode, Marius, even Asmodeus!”

“Yes.” Prayzose nods. “There must be a balance on the councils of Law. They predated me as Arrows. When they approached me, Asmodeus made a very cunning appeal to me. I could become an Arrow, and attempt to balance the forces of Law towards Good- for, bear in mind, there were three evil Arrows, and no good ones appointed as yet- or I could pass up the opportunity and allow them to perhaps appoint another evil one. And surely you understand, I cannot support Chaos.”

Reluctantly, Inoke nods.

“I am making that same proposal to you,” Prayzose continues. “Inoke, you have slain Asmodeus. You have worked against the Arrows in the past, but I believe that you are a reasonable man, and you can see how positive of an influence you could be. I want you to become the seventh Arrow of Law.”

Inoke’s jaw drops.

After a moment, he says, “I told you, I will not betray my friends.”

“I am not asking you to. Bring them over to us if you can, but I do not think you can. But I will not ask you to fight them.” His blue eyes bore into Inoke’s, and the warmind realizes just how charismatic Prayzose is.* “I give you my word on that, and violating that would not be very Lawful of me, would it?”

“True... but desperate times call for desperate measures.”

“If we use the tactics of Chaos against itself, we will win no battle for Law,” Prayzose predicts.

Inoke nods. “Very well, I believe you. But why should I accept your offer? I admit it has a certain appeal...”

“Do not accept it for what it gives you; accept it for what you can do with it. Together, we can win the Great War of Ethics. We can end this destructive conflict. We can institute a great peace, and ensure that everyone is equal. We can eliminate poverty and starvation. I hope for a reign of Law and Good, and that means peace, hope and plenty.”

“Who are the Arrows?” asks Inoke.

“Myself, Marius, Dekrasode, Cluma, Lord Alyth and the Judge of Worlds. And, of course, Asmodeus was one of us, until you slew him.” He smiles. “For which, frankly, I thank you.”

Inoke smirks. “You’re welcome. I struck the blow.”

Prayzose nods. “I know. As I said, thank you.”

“Why me?”

“Because you are mighty enough to take his place. Because you are a strong force of Law, despite your opposition to it. And because I believe that you can be trusted to do the right thing.”

His words are very persuasive, Inoke thinks. But he is conflicted. There is no way that the others would understand, if I said yes... but we could do so much good! Aargh!

“What are the consequences,” Inoke wonders, “of there being only six Arrows?”

“None, really,” Prayzose shrugs. “Only since my appointment has the roster of the Arrows been full. Before that, it had been thousands of years.”

“I need a little time to think about this,” Inoke says.

“Of course,” Prayzose replies. “But you must answer before I send you home.”

“If I refuse, will you attack me?” inquires Inoke frankly.

“Of course not!” Prayzose exclaims. “I promise you, I brought you here only to talk. I did not poison your food, I am not tampering with your mind, and I am not using any magic. I want to persuade you, Inoke, because I am on the right side, and you should be too. I hope to show you that I’m right, and to persuade you to join me, but I have no intention of forcing you in any way. And if you do not agree with me, that together we can do much for our people, for all of the people, and if you decline, whoever takes your place will be probably less good and less capable than you- then decline my offer. But I hope you can see how much sense it makes, how much good we can do together. You must do what you feel is right.”

The warmind nods. He schisms, splitting his mind in two, and begins talking it over with himself: It’s the right thing to do.

But my friends will hate me!

The Mace of St. John would say that there is no choice.

This could be a trick.

It’s Prayzose- he’s not going to try to trick us when he invites us over for dinner and diplomacy. He might feed us some misinformation, but I doubt whether he’d out-and-out lie, either.

If I do this, my friends will never forgive me.

Maybe not. But is friendship more important than what is right?

Maybe they’ll understand in time. If I ever have a chance to explain it to them...

Well, Prayzose promised that he wouldn’t try to get us to fight them.

I don’t want to fight them, but they might attack me. We might not have a choice.

Prayzose is right: I must do what I feel is right.

“You have posed a difficult choice for me,” Inoke sighs. “It is a difficult decision. But I accept.”

Prayzose smiles broadly. “Excellent!” he cries. “Then we will invest you as soon as possible!”

“When is that?”

“Seven times seven days,” Prayzose answers. “Next month, on the 27th.”

Now- the ruins of the Bastion of Law

Lillamere casts Marius’ double actions and Mordenkainen’s disjunction in quick succession. To his shock, the Arrows of Law are unaffected by the disjunction!

“What the hell?” he exclaims.

Marius grins. “It worked!” he crows, and then suddenly there are three great whirling glittering masses of temporal sand blasting out towards our heroes.

“Chronal repeaters!” cries Alcar.

Graz’zt/Veil gestures at our Marius, trying to trap the soul on him, but the chronomancer is prepared with spell turning. Graz’zt suddenly finds himself trying to trap his own soul- or is it Veil’s? For a moment, the split-minded being struggles with confusion. The six-fingered hand spiked to the boss of his/her shield writhes angrily. But then Veil throws it off, momentarily remembering who she is, and Graz’zt’s spell resistance throws off the magical attack.

The chronal repeater sweep in. One slashes at JJ with its forceful wind and cutting blasts of sand from the plane of Time. The son of Jibber screeches and cowers, letting his stoneskin do the bulk of his defensive work for him. Another of the repeaters crashes into Baron Lillamere with such force that the sorcerer is knocked back and stunned! The Judge of Worlds begins attacking the hapless argent savant, slamming him with spear-arms and opening up with slugthrowers. Blow after blow lands, and blood flies as Lillamere gets hammered again and again!

Gerontius cries out as another attack swarm engulfs him- tiny clockwork horrors, mere specks to the eye, yet packing considerable electrical power! His hair stands on end as they shock and bite him, and bloody pinpricks sprout all over his body. “Yowch!” he cries.

Blazier launches a fireball and takes out one of the guards that has accompanied Prayzose. But the Arrows have the advantage, clearly, and begin to press it.

Let’s get out of here, guys! Sybele screams over the telepathic link. Aloud, to the Arrows of Law, she cries, “Those big bad apocalypse guys are free! Worry about them, not us!” Then she bends reality to ape a plane shift, and our heroes vanish, reappearing in the midst of a rainbow on Limbo.

“You really like Limbo, don’t you?” JJ asks. He grins; he really likes Limbo, too.
After all, his For that matter, so does Wankerman, who has spend plenty of time here in his days with the Xaositechts. Sybele just grins.

What now? asks Thrush over the link.

Darkhold! suggest Gerontius.

Look! Wankerman points. In the distance, slender metal needles riding columns of fire are approaching. More of Master Control’s missiles!

“Let’s go!” cries Baron Lillamere, who has recovered from being stunned. The party clusters around, and they superior teleport to just outside where they previously found the entrance to Darkhold.

It’s not there.

Our heroes take a few quick moments to try to look for it, but Thrush shouts a warning: “More missiles!”

How the hell are they finding us? wonders Lester. Aren’t we all mind blanked?

They must have something on us, Lillamere realizes as the party plane shifts back to Cydra. I bet they have some kind of ultra tiny device that they have planted on us or something- maybe something those swarms of tiny horrors carried or something!**

The party glances around. They are on a rocky coast, with waves crashing in only about ten feet below them on the beach. Where to now? asks Gerontius telepathically.

Back to the Bastion! JJ cries enthusiastically. Hopefully, the Arrows have had enough time to start pursuing us, and they haven’t left anything there to oppose us!

Chakar snorts. I call that wishful thinking, he sends wryly over the link.

More missiles! shouts Alcar telepathically. This time, while the party spends a moment or two adding more buffs to their current ones, Lester flies up and lets the missiles hit him to buy the party a few moments. The elementalist grits his teeth and cries out as shrapnel and flames engulf him, but he is perhaps the toughest mortal alive,*** and he comes back brushing off bits of metal and patting out small fires from his body.

Then another superior teleport brings the party back to the Pool of Law.

Wishful thinking indeed.

The Arrows are there; their guardians and servants are there. Inoke is there. Prayzose, the Judge, Marius- they have all waited.

And, unfortunately for them, our heroes have the total drop on them.****

Lester hurls a piece of an obelisk of Na’Rat into the Pool of Law with perfect accuracy. Strange, multihued smoke starts to rise. The Pool begins to churn and bubble and swirl.

Orbius speaks a word, and a contingency goes off, triggering an instantaneous contact other plane. He asks only two questions:

With whom am I speaking? He sees an image of a black sword and a black shield.
Will the piece of the obelisk destroy the Pool of Law? Yes? There is a faintly uncertain tone to the answer.

We’d best be sure, the Eye tells JJ telepathically. JJ cackles with glee as he springs towards the pool, the strap-on phallus of Chaos that Froth crafted him tied firmly round his waist. His mind flexes and an energy wave sweeps over the enemy, damaging all of them.

And then, seeing that this is it, this is the final conflict, that there will be no more running and dodging and plane shifting away, Alcar shouts, “GLAISIG, GLAISIG, GLAISIG!!!”

There is a huge explosion of flame and brimstone. A great blast of furnace-like heat puffs up from everywhere, and suddenly a gargantuan form seems to grow up from the ground. There is an earth-splitting roar voiced from multiple throats. A thick smell, reptilian yet not a reptile, fills the air.

“Oh my gods,” breathes Blazier, “Glaisig’s distraction is Tiamat!!

Next Time: The next post FINISHES THE BATTLE AT LAST!!!

*To answer that question, I will say “45.”

**This, by the way, was a damn fine guess. :)

***Unwounded Lester has over 500 hp, and he has fast healing as well.

****In one of the worst bits of dice luck I have ever had, both Marius and Prayzose fumbled their initiative rolls.

Krud

First Post
:eek:

This is just crazy Jester. I can't wait to see what happens next.

Hope Tiamat provides a small distraction to aid them. They must be running low on resources by now....

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I'm now having visions of the whole battle looking like the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon series...

More awesome stuff, Jester! Did any of the players know who the 'distraction' was before it happened, or was it a total surprise to everyone? And are you able to put the Tiamat stats up in your Thread-That-Must-Not-Be-Named?

the Jester

Legend
Tallarn said:
More awesome stuff, Jester! Did any of the players know who the 'distraction' was before it happened, or was it a total surprise to everyone? And are you able to put the Tiamat stats up in your Thread-That-Must-Not-Be-Named?

No, that was a surprise for everyone... although there were a few clues along the way, nobody picked up on them in the heat of the ongoing battle/chase/apocalyptic finale. :)

And I used her stats straight outta MotP. :)

Edit: And the crazy thing is, the big guns have yet to arrive.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
the Jester said:
No, that was a surprise for everyone... although there were a few clues along the way, nobody picked up on them in the heat of the ongoing battle/chase/apocalyptic finale. :)

And I used her stats straight outta MotP. :)

Edit: And the crazy thing is, the big guns have yet to arrive.

Gah?

the Jester

Legend
Tiamat, Queen of Evil Dragons, Glaisig’s “distraction” sent to aid our heroes, launches a full attack at the Judge of Worlds. The multi-headed dragon tears into the hapless Arrow of Law with unbelievable force, and metal goes flying and pieces of the Judge are rent apart. Then a quickened, maximized flame strike blasts the Judge as well.

Lester whoops. Orbius casts a time stop, using a metamagic rod to maximize it, and those of our heroes who still have the spell stowaway statuettes that the faux Marius gave them join the Eye. Quickly, they throw chaotic items, anarchic water and whatever else they can think of into the Pool of Law. JJ begins defiling it with the phallus of Na’Rat material that Froth crafted for him. Though it is distasteful, our heroes realize that it may just be necessary.

Orbius casts a wall of stone around two of the chronal repeaters, and our heroes all move into optimum attack position and make ready to strike as soon as time restarts. None of them move near Inoke.

With a blur, time resumes, and our heroes strike with amazing force. Gerontius finally lands a blow on Prayzose, and Thrush hits twice; but both of them are disgruntled at the difficulty in landing a blow. The God-Emperor of Forinthia is still off his guard, fortunately.

Nobody hop on this one! Orbius calls over the secure telepathic link, and he time stops again. This time he puts up several forcecages to try to hedge in the other repeaters, followed by a strategically-positioned prismatic wall. Finally, he casts a wish to attempt to place whatever sort of disjunction buffer the Arrows used to ward the walls, but it fails. Clearly, the buffer spell must be of the ninth valence- or even transvalent.*

Alcar leaps forward at the Judge of Worlds and, flanking with Tiamat, begins smashing at the Arrow. It unsettles him to work with the Chromatic Dragon, and it certainly is nothing like what he expected, but he is more than willing to take advantage of her presence. But at battle’s end, you’re next, the angel tells himself. Smash! Smash! Smash! Over and over again, Alcar slams his mace into the Judge, until finally the Arrow is felled! Then the Angel of Kickass whirls and flies at Prayzose.

Lester, meanwhile, turns to Inoke. “You just stay there!” he cries, and erects a wall of stone to cut his former friend off. He catches a glimpse of JJ fornicating with the Pool of Law. The Pool does not seem to appreciate the attentions of the demislaad; it is hissing and smoking, bubbling and churning. Weird colors and strange protrusions are starting to form in the water. JJ whoops.

“I don’t want to fight you!” Inoke cries, and bludgeons the wall of stone to pieces in a few quick blow. “I’m not going to fight you guys, but I see Tiamat, and I’m taking her down!

Chakar springs in and attempts to grapple Prayzose, but the God-Emperor shrugs him off. But finally, both Prayzose and Marius are beginning to react to our heroes’ furious assault. In the blink of an eye, Marius casts a spell that Orbius, to his shock, realizes is some kind of epic variant of time stop- one from which Marius can blast his enemies! With a fierce grin, the chronomancer casts invisibility purge to eliminate some of the party’s advantages; then he hits Thrush with a polar ray, followed by a puncture. Two empowered horrid wiltings devastate the entire group. As he emerges from the Marius’ improved time stop, he fires off a quickened prismatic spray, disintegrate and lightning bolt trifecta, blasting at Thrush and JJ.

Fortune is on JJ’s side. His spell resistance, though pitifully weak compared to the power of Marius, holds against everything.

The entire party is wracked by the horrid wiltings, and Orbius grimaces and replies with a quickened puncture of his own. Marius sidesteps out of harms way- only to be caught in null time due to the greater anticipate teleports running on several of the combatants!

Meanwhile, the chronal repeaters, attack swarms and missile fire all continue to complicate matters for our heroes. Blaze tries to destroy the swarm with a cone of cold, but he only succeeds in damaging it. Despite his amazing powers, he feels profoundly out of his depth here. Wankerman, what have you gotten me into? he wonders. Then he laughs out loud. Who cares? It’s fun! Besides, even if he dies- even if the entire party’s efforts go down in failure- his name will live on forever after this, either in fame or in infamy.

Chakar keeps swatting at Prayzose, searching for a hold, but it’s clear to him that the God-Emperor has freedom of movement in play. So the dwarven monk changes tactics, and manages to snatch one of Prayzose’s rings off. He still can’t get a grip, though. “We don’t want to destroy you,” he cries. “Don’t fight us!”

“I said the same thing to you,” Prayzose replies, surprisingly gently. “It’s too late for that. And you have summoned both Graz’zt and Tiamat to Cydra in order to oppose us! What destructive forces you have unleashed.” He shakes his head sadly. “No. The time for talk is over.”

The swarm continues to distract and attack the party. Lester snarls angrily and casts a shaped fireball, damaging it further- but still not destroying it! Sybele, meanwhile, blasts Prayzose with a massive crystal shard. When it proves effective, she does it again! Alcar, meanwhile, throws himself against the God-Emperor as well and manages to land a few blows. “Surrender!” the angel cries. “Don’t make us kill you!”

“No,” Prayzose answers. In an instant, a burning ray flashes out, blazing through both Alcar and Tiamat. “You have crossed a line that I cannot allow you to cross unanswered. You have gone too far. I will not allow this trespass to stand.” He begins weaving immensely powerful magic, and a gate to Heaven opens.

“Oh crap,” Blaze mutters. He casts shield and displacement.

Light brighter than anything our heroes have ever seen before explodes through the gate.

“MY LORD!!” cries Prayzose. “YOU ARE NEEDED ON CYDRA!!! THE FORCES OF CHAOS SUMMON GODS OF EVIL TO OPPOSE YOUR DESCENDANT!!!”

A being of blazing light, so bright that the sun itself seems to be a dark smudge in the sky, steps forth from the gate.

Galador has arrived.

JJ’s eyes boil from their sockets at the sight. The others manage to squeeze their eyes shut in time. Even blinded, though, the demislaad manages to catch the attack swarm with an energy wave that finally destroys it.

The incandescent form of Galador gestures negligently at Graz’zt, and a blast of solar power explodes out and nearly blasts the demon lord from existence.** Then, another wave of his hand almost completely heals Prayzose.

“Oh crap oh crap oh crap oh crap!” Graz’zt strikes, attacking with his wavy-bladed sword. His blows fall on armor composed of sunlight so bright that it turns his acrid blade back.

YOU ARE A BLASPHEMY. The words ring with the power to shape reality. They echo, loud and clear, for miles. They encompass both Graz’zt and Tiamat. YOU SHALL PAY FOR THIS TRANSGRESSION. HOW DARE YOU TRESPASS HERE, NOW?

Inoke, meanwhile, has moved to engage Tiamat. The Queen of Evil Dragons snaps at him from her many mouths; she breathes fire, acid, cold, lightning, toxic gas at him. He growls and expands to a height of 25’, swinging his mace against her with deadly effect. Her tail stinger whips forward, but he parries it. He strikes her white head with his mace with telling force, and she shakes that head. It is momentarily stunned- but not so the rest of her! Her black head spits another stream of acid at him, while the red head bites down into his right arm! Inoke grimaces and slams his fist into her eye, freeing his hand, and batters at her again, bloodying the red head’s nose. The two of them glare at each other.

Meanwhile, the party rushes Prayzose, striking with all their might. Gerontius, flanking, finds it easier to hit the God-Emperor since Chakar’s clever stripping of his ring. He lands several blows. Thrush roars, “I’m sorry, Emperor- it’s time to make way for your replacement!!” He lands blow after blow, staggering Prayzose, and Alcar rushes in on the other side. Blow after blow lands, and finally, Prayzose staggers- and falls! Our heroes cheer! Alcar attempts a soul bind on Prayzose, to no avail.

“This is a short term solution, but it might help!” Baron Lillamere cries. He disintegrates Prayzose’s remains.

“That’s not really going to slow Galador down, I don’t think!” cries Chakar. For once, he does not sound entirely calm and composed. His blows and attempts to grapple Galador simply slide off his like water off of a duck.

“Maybe this will!” Lillamere invokes a crushing fist of spite. It hammers down, smashing Galador- and, somehow, penetrating his spell resistance. Mabrack unleashes yet another Mordenkainen’s disjunction, this one at the god that the party is facing.

“I don’t know if that will help, but it can’t hurt!” the storm giant wizard cries hopefully.

The party pours it on, but they do not even seem to be hurting Galador at all. Uh oh, thinks Lester, we may have finally bitten off more than we can chew! His eyes widen as he sees Tiamat plane shift away from Inoke. The big warrior turns to face our heroes. A profound look of regret is on his face.

“I don’t want to fight you!” he cries.

“You should have thought about that before!” shouts Thrush.

Galador draws forth a mace. Graz’zt bares his fangs and strikes up a guard position, but Galador’s divine blast has already taken much of the wind out of his sails. A single blow snaps the demon prince’s neck, and the black-skinned form collapses. Quickly, it boils away into a greasy smear, which in turn catches fire and burns to nothing in the blazing light of Galador.

“Uh oh,” JJ says, quickly scooping up as much of Prayzose’s gear as he can. “Uh, I don’t know if-“

Galador strikes again. Lillamere is crushed in a single mighty blow, collapsing in a bloody pile on the ground. Then he cleaves onto Gerontius, nearly taking the rogue out too! “Please stop!” cries the rogue, bluffing and striking, bluffing and striking. He manages to land several blows. I can’t believe I just stabbed Galador, he thinks in wonder.

“All right, it’s time!” Alcar cries. He spreads his arms wide and casts a gate of his own. “BLESS, MY GOD! WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, NOW IS THE TIME!!”

From the gate, another figure emerges, silhouetted in the refulgent brilliance. He strides tall and grim. In his right hand he bears a sword so black that even the illumination of Galador cannot light it up. Strapped to his left arm is a shield of equal blackness.

“Galador, I am Vandreu,” the newcomer calls. “Your time is at an end. I am here to finish you.” He does not shout; his voice does not thunder, as Galador’s does. Yet it is as grave, and it carries as well, and as clearly. It is clear that he can see without difficulty, even in the light of Galador’s own radiance.

The two gods move together. There is an explosion of divine power, of light and energy, unequaled by anything that our heroes have ever seen.

Inoke rushes forward.

“Inoke, no!” cries Gerontius.

Ignoring his old friend, the warmind smashes his mace at Vandreu. But the mighty deity raises his black shield, catching the blow, and Inoke’s mace explodes with brutal force. The bones in his arms shiver and nearly shatter. He screams in pain and falls back on the ground.

“This is not your fight,” Vandreu tells him. “Not anymore.” With that, he swings his blade at Galador. The God of Forinthia, the Lord, the Light, steps away and fires a blast of staggering divine power at Vandreu. He takes the blazing beam square in the chest and thrusts forward again. Galador’s armor of light shivers as the black blade hits it, and the light seems, impossibly, to increase for a second as it shatters under the power of the blade.

Vandreu’s voice echoes through all of our heroes’ heads. You should leave. This situation is about to become... explosive.

What about Marius? Orbius cries over the party’s telepathic link. We have to stay for just another few seconds and get him, or he’ll bring Prayzose back, and then we’re right back where we started!

Galador swings his mace, but jerks it back rather than letting it strike the black shield. His armor springs instantly back into existence, and he vanishes, reappearing some distance away, resplendent in his glory, and blasts out at Vandreu with another divine blast. The rubble of the Bastion of Law is seared by solar heat. Several of our heroes cry out as they are caught in the edge of the blast.

Inoke, meanwhile, struggles back to his feet and psionically heals himself as best he can. Then, realizing that he has no weapon to fight with, and glancing around at the situation, he gives a small sigh of despair and activates his boots of teleportation, vanishing into the null time displacement of the greater anticipate teleports running throughout the area.

YOU ARE A FOOL, VANDREU. YOU CANNOT STAND AGAINST THE SUN. YOU CANNOT OPPOSE THE MIGHTIEST OF ALL.

“I can,” Vandreu says, instantly appearing next to Galador and landing a mighty blow on him with the black sword.

Marius reappears! Thanks to the greater anticipate teleport, our heroes know exactly where he will appear and when. Then are clustered around. Before the chronomancer has a chance to react, Chakar grabs him by the throat. Mabrack and Sybele both begin pounding the chronomancer. Having already used his instantaneous escape from his sidestep, Marius has no way to escape. Before he can even act, our heroes have cut him to ribbons and slain him.

Lester thinks, The last of the Arrows is down, and the Pool of Law is thoroughly defiled. Let’s get the hell out of here!

I have Marius’ body, Chakar affirms.

Blazing energy and explosive blows rain all over the battlefield as the gods clash. They are humungous, 50’ high each. Galador keeps teleporting away to fire divine blasts, and Vandreu keeps teleporting next to him to strike in melee. The energies being unleashed are unbelievable, searing our heroes even as they stay out of the direct conflict.

Let’s go! Orbius, JJ and Mabrack all cast plane shift, and our heroes make their escape.

Triumphant.

To all appearances, it would seem that Chaos has won.

*Disjunction buffer is a 9th level spell.

**Can I offer you 400 points of damage with that?

the Jester

Legend
And with that, this story hour is finished. :)

As always, however, the game goes on, and the new thread will start up soon. When it does I will post a link in this thread to it. :)

I hope everyone has enjoyed reading it as much as we enjoyed playing it, and as much as I enjoyed writing it up! :D Thanks for reading, and I hope to see y'all in the new thread when it goes up in the next week or so.

Remove ads