• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Cydra) Great Conflicts

the Jester

Legend
Dekrasode and His Brood

Blazier thinks, What a great idea! Let’s track and kill the forces of Law. For the gods’ sake. I spend my career avoiding the eyes of the Law. Now, I walk down their throat! Well, if it gets me closer to Horbin the Holy, that’s fine. That bastard! He’s going down!!*

Graz’zt/Veil springs forth, engaging Dekrasode in melee. It is a bold move- but one that rapidly proves to be a mistake. Graz’zt cannot get through the dragon’s defenses, while the Arrow of Law lands blow after blow on the demon prince. Worse yet, Dekrasode proceeds to demonstrate the ability to quicken his breath weapon! Explosions of electricity and flames begin to bloom on the battlefield as the fray is truly joined. A fierce exchange of blows, spells and psionics begins.

Thrush once again demonstrates that he is, in fact, the foremost swordsman of his age. He lands blow after punishing blow on the nimble-looking giant with the red blade. To everyone’s surprise, the giant (Brethkatha, though our heroes do not know his name) stands up to the blows. However, the nimble half-dragon immediately tumbles back towards the spear-wielder. Mabrack wades into the enemies as well, while Lillamere turns into a massive black dragon and belches acid all over Dekrasode. The acidic breath sprays the blue dragon and smoke starts to rise from his scales, hissing and popping as the acid etches a few new small scars on him.

Graz’zt disengages from Dekrasode to seek the relative safety of the melee with the half-dragons. Dekrasode laughs arrogantly.

Brethkatha’s tumbling changes direction; he isn’t fleeing Thrush, he’s maneuvering into flanking- and then he stabs the fighter in the vitals with his red sword. Thrush howls as the savvy half-dragon reveals that this is, indeed, exactly what he specializes in- for his style reveals that he is a dog soldier, trained to attack in packs and use teamwork to destroy their enemies.

The other half-dragons slam into Thrush, Mabrack and Graz’zt. The ensuing melee is amazingly fierce. Blood flies as each side slices into the other. Alcar’s wings give a mighty beat and he leaps into the air. Below him, the longspear-wielding female half-dragon (whose name is Shivaxa) casts a mass heal, and to his dismay Alcar notes that the pulse of positive energy that she emits is extraordinarily strong. She must be specialized in healing somehow, he thinks.** Well, not for long. Alcar closes his eyes for a moment, centers himself and calls upon his new god.

Bless, he prays, I need you with me now. You are the god of lost causes, of hopeless quests, of success against all odds and despite overwhelming obstacles. You have walked with me my entire life and I never knew your name. Please, Bless, aid us today. We must succeed in our quest to overcome the Arrows of Law, for the good of everyone. For our sake, for your sake, and for the sake of the innocent- help us do this. And then he casts holy blast, maximized by the incense of meditation that he had burned when praying for spells. The blast of divine energy smashes down, tearing at the half-dragons (and Graz’zt; Alcar suppresses a smile at that). Then Alcar delivers a quickened harm to the giant soulknife.

“Shivaxa, I need your aid, my love!” he cries. His mind blade slices at Mabrack, inflicting several stinging wounds on the giant.

“Dekrasode, come and get me!” Alcar cries a challenge.

The construct guys will return soon, Sybele predicts. We have to end this fast! She engages the giant wizard, Hrimli Thunderbolt. Her sword slices out, cutting at the tall enemy, but he casts a cone of cold in reply. Sybele begins to glow as her energy adaptation triggers, and both Gerontius and Wankerman move in to aid. In a moment more, the wizard is down. Then, as Shivaxa moves to aid the one who called for her aid, JJ blasts the wounded half-dragon with an energy wave that kills him before the healer reaches him! She wails in despair, and Graz’zt takes the opportunity to offer his condolences with his wavy-bladed, acid-dripping sword. The healer dies a horrible but quick death. Then Graz’zt summons forth a balor to join in the fun, laughing maniacally.

Is there anything left of Veil in there? wonders Lillamere.

Meanwhile, Pan Lo lectures Chakar, who stands aloof from the battle for the moment.*** Chakar stands stony-faced and listens while the Perfect Master harangues him; he demonstrates poise under pressure.

Brasha Nal, the half-dragon with an axe, hurls himself at the balor. He slays it in two mighty blows, and the balor body sizzles, smokes, pops, jerks and spasms a few times and then finally explodes in a violent series of death throes. The blast tears into everyone, but almost everyone ducks behind something or throws him- or herself out of the worst of the blast. Unfortunately, Blaze does not. He survives, but just barely. Almost senseless, he howls, Argh! Help, I’m in bad shape! over the telepathic bond that the party shares. He nearly falls to his knees, but manages to- just barely- hold himself upright.

It is only the fact that he spoke telepathically rather than aloud that saves him as the elementalist giant blasts most of the party with a fire storm. Several of them are immune to it and everyone has at least some level of protection, but it hurts.

Another holy blast from Alcar, maximized by the incense, slams into Dekrasode, but the dragon evades the angel’s quickened flame strike. Then Alcar and Thrush both leap to the attack on the dragon. Wankerman leaps up and bullywug breakdance on the elementalist, who is starting to look like he is having second thoughts about the whole sordid affair. When Gerontius joins in the fun, the elementalist- Vespazia- uses his boots of teleportation to get out of Dodge.

Meanwhile, Baron Lillamere finishes off Brasha Nal, who has suffered pretty badly in his engagement with Wankerman, with a crushing fist of spite. Then all that remains is Dekrasode himself.

Thrush and Alcar tear into him; he tears back. Springing up, his claws and bite and wings and tail all lash out at our heroes. But Alcar parries and strikes back, and Thrush steps in and hacks at the dragon. Dekrasode’s scales turn some of their attacks away; but Thrush soon lands first one heavy slash across the dragon’s proud chest, then another that breaks a forearm. Dekrasode roars in pain and rage, but Thrush is not intimidated.

“You’re done, dragon!” he cries.

Thrush stabs forward, lunging, putting all of his weight behind it. His sword pierces the dragon at his breast, The blade sinks deep, deep into Dekrasode’s chest.

The roar of rage turns to one of agony.

Thrush’s sword slides neatly into Dekrasode’s black heart, right through it and deeper. The dragon convulses on the sword. Another weak roar- and Dekrasode, proud dragon, former ruler of the Empire of Wotan, dies.

Our heroes cheer! Immediately Alcar pulls out a huge gem from his bag- a great black sapphire. He murmurs one last prayer to Bless before casting soul bind.

Within the great gem, a tiny pinprick of light begins to glimmer.

Alcar whoops. “We got him!” he shouts.

“Incoming,” Lillamere warns as his greater anticipate teleport begins to tingle. “About a dozen, some large, some medium.”

“Let’s get out of here,” Sybele says. Then she goes on telepathically, We can seek sanctuary in that place where the new gods are.

Darkhold, affirms Lillamere. I can get us there with the staff.

Meanwhile, a number of our heroes begin to grab loot and/or bodies. Thrush is strutting like a peacock. He looks rather pleased with himself. Lillamere disintegrates the Judge of Worlds’ remains, hoping that will slow down the Arrow’s return.

Then the party greater teleports away. Two random plane shifts later, they feel as though it’s pretty likely that they have thrown off pursuit.

“All right,” Baron Lillamere says, “let’s see where to go.” The staff of the Emerald Mage balances easily on a fingertip, and he spins it. The gem at either end pulses with a greenish-blue light as the staff slows and finally ends up pointing, with one gem glowing brighter than the other, off into the distance.

“Incoming,” Lillamere says grimly.

“What! How?” wonders Gerontius. Ze god of illusion ‘imself said zat we should be safe from scrying for a time!

JJ replies, They must have some kind of device planted on us or something.

Over the telepathic link that the party set up that is not secure against Prayzose’s psychic eavesdropping, Baron Lillamere declares, Let’s go back to Pesh! We’re badly depleted, we need to renew our resources! Then, over the link that is secure (our heroes hope), he announces, All right, time to teleport again. Everyone gathers up quickly and the party teleports away in the direction the staff is pointing.

“We probably only have a few moments,” Wankerman comments, as the party appears on a windswept rocky slope. But not far off they see the hedges that surround Darkhold. “Hey, not bad!” he exclaims.

The party hurries towards the hedges. Lillamere pays close attention to his greater anticipate teleport, but it doesn’t start to tingle just yet. Our heroes reach the hedges, and then-

“Good evening,” says a familiar voice. The form of Glaisig, the Hidden Minister of Lucifer, steps from the shadows.

Next Time: What does Glaisig want? What will our heroes find in Darkhold? And will the Arrows track them into Darkhold??

*Yes, Blaze has a grudge against Horbin. He thinks of Horbin as a former great light of Chaos who gave up the fight and turned coat.

**A cure light wounds from Shivaxa would heal 1d10+51 points of damage.

***His player missed this session. :)

Krud

First Post
Great stuff as usual Jester. This, along with Halfling Way are definitely some of the funniest Story Hours on this board.

Funny to see PCs have to play cat and mouse in a world of Scry & Fry, and getting creative with Soul Bind etc to stop their enemies from coming back. Pity they couldn't have nicked the Judge of Worlds' body and animated it or something to stop him coming back. Then again, he was a construct and they don't have souls do they? :uhoh:

Seance

First Post
Baron Lillomere also turned into a Frost Worm and nailed them with the breath weapon. Had the 'Hammer of Chaos' not taken out the Judge of Worlds before they arrived It may have been a totally different battle.

Very nice updates, Jester! Screams epic.

Just noticed the Judge of World's 'Will To Survive' ability is basically just, gain a modifier to hit points based on wisdom. Very neat :) 1200 hp and DR 20/etc...., I'm surprised with how quickly the PCs seemed to take down the Judge. Then again it was pretty heavily outnumbered. Dekrasode, however, seems to have insane AC and backup so I'm guessing the PCs are much more effective than I give them credit for.

We gonna see another Arrow of Law's stats? :]

omrob

First Post
Weak!!!

J

I see your updating Year 272 instead of this thread. WEAK! You are getting ahead of your self...lets see another Arrow and a smashing update regarding our total pwnage on LAW.

RAN

the Jester

Legend
Sollir Furryfoot said:
Very nice updates, Jester! Screams epic.

Just noticed the Judge of World's 'Will To Survive' ability is basically just, gain a modifier to hit points based on wisdom. Very neat :) 1200 hp and DR 20/etc...., I'm surprised with how quickly the PCs seemed to take down the Judge.

Honestly, I don't think you can comprehend just how much damage the pcs dish out in a round. Holy crap. I mean, when they fought Asmodeus, Inoke killed him in a single full attack. They often utterly annihilate an enemy before it has a chance to respond.

omrob said:
I see your updating Year 272 instead of this thread. WEAK!

HAW HAW!! I do what I want!!

Now I'm going to have to update every other story hour before I do this one again!! :p

Seance said:
I second that emotion!!

Sheesh, you'd think you guys didn't play in the other games too! Does that mean that the epic game is yer favorite?

Bear in mind that we, ahem, won't be playing this guys again anytime soon, and I don't want to run out of story for this SH just yet. :]

Rikandur Azebol

First Post
Jester ... I think that PC's might need update to 3,5. This should change their damage output to more balanced amounts. ;)
I had similiar problem in Epic game too, PCs were annihilating all but ABSOULUTELY overpowered foes. Well ... they were conquering world. :]

Remove ads