D&D Movie/TV D&D 2 is possibility still

Last edited:

Chris Pine did great, but he didn't draw in 9 million dollars worth of people who won't watch the movie otherwise.

The sequal should cut the big name actors. Maybe focus more on Doric, Simon, and Xenk and maybe Edgin's daughter who should be an adult by then. Make her a Bard like her dad, but one that casts spells, but make her different from her Dad by making it Divine Spells, instead of the Arcane Spells he can allegedly cast, but never does.

Maybe add in an Aasimar or a new Goliath lineage.

And focus it more on one region, say Cormyr that you can film in a more affordible location like Canada. Or Mulhand, which you could shot in Egypt.

And no Corona virus should help.

Oofta

Legend
I think the movie should have started with a much smaller scale. Make it a city adventure where the big bad is the local mob boss, or any of the number of D&D nasties that could work. They didn't need to go to Marvel levels of CGI spectacular to make the movie work. As much as I enjoyed the dragon scenes, the biggest monster they faced could have been giant spiders, ash zombies or maybe a ghost. Imagine how terrifying a scene could be if you used skulks, a creature that can only be seen by children, a candle made from a corpse who's identity is unknown or in a reflection.

The extensive use of CGI may have actually hurt the movie in some ways because people probably thought it was just going to be another CGI heavy but otherwise empty movie. There are so many options without going hog wild on special effects. Even if those special effects were cool.

I think the movie should have started with a much smaller scale. Make it a city adventure where the big bad is the local mob boss, or any of the number of D&D nasties that could work. They didn't need to go to Marvel levels of CGI spectacular to make the movie work. As much as I enjoyed the dragon scenes, the biggest monster they faced could have been giant spiders, ash zombies or maybe a ghost. Imagine how terrifying a scene could be if you used skulks, a creature that can only be seen by children, a candle made from a corpse who's identity is unknown or in a reflection.

The extensive use of CGI may have actually hurt the movie in some ways because people probably thought it was just going to be another CGI heavy but otherwise empty movie. There are so many options without going hog wild on special effects. Even if those special effects were cool.

Most of the effects were actually practical effects, using CGI only were needed.

mamba

Legend
it was successful enough to impress paramount
we must have very different definitions of ‘impress’…

This is what the head of Paramount said on the subject “while “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” will lose money even though Chris Pine led the ensemble. Robbins isn’t abandoning the idea of more “Dungeons & Dragons,” though if there’s a sequel, he says, “We’ve got to figure out a way to make it for less.””

(from After a Decade in Limbo, Brian Robbins Is Giving Paramount a Makeover With ‘Ninja Turtles,’ Tom Cruise and ‘Gladiator 2’ )

If you have to find a way to make a sequel cheaper, if at all, then no one was impressed

Last edited:

Divine2021

Adventurer
It is plastered all over Paramount Plus and my Amazon Prime, still. They clearly know this thing has a long tail and are still making money on it. Look, people in another thread have, in a very silly manner, debated this endlessly and pointlessly. I’m not going to debate anything about this movie with anyone as I value my time.

mamba

Legend
It is plastered all over Paramount Plus and my Amazon Prime, still. They clearly know this thing has a long tail and are still making money on it.
yes, and yet they were not impressed

Robbins [Paramount CEO] isn’t abandoning the idea of more “Dungeons & Dragons,” though if there’s a sequel, he says, “We’ve got to figure out a way to make it for less.” is not showing any signs of being impressed

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I think the movie should have started with a much smaller scale. Make it a city adventure where the big bad is the local mob boss, or any of the number of D&D nasties that could work. They didn't need to go to Marvel levels of CGI spectacular to make the movie work.
Hasbro has been trying very hard to jump into monitization of the brand outside the TTRPG. For the D&D movie they needed a big draw, especially with the stigma of the earlier D&D movies, and they definitely want to turn the brand and IP into Marvel.

Sorry, with everything we know about why they were doing it I must disagree that a smaller, lower budget, less blockbuster movie would not have met their goals, and therefore probably would not have been made.

MarkB

Legend

This is what the head of Paramount said on the subject “while “Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves” will lose money even though Chris Pine led the ensemble. Robbins isn’t abandoning the idea of more “Dungeons & Dragons,” though if there’s a sequel, he says, “We’ve got to figure out a way to make it for less.””

(from After a Decade in Limbo, Brian Robbins Is Giving Paramount a Makeover With ‘Ninja Turtles,’ Tom Cruise and ‘Gladiator 2’ )

If you have to find a way to make a sequel cheaper, if at all, then no one was impressed
Studios always want to spend less money on the sequel.

Remove ads