• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 D&D 3.5 ruleset, splitting Dexterity

CuRoi

First Post
Well, as a side note, I'm currently coming with my own extensive rules "re-write" and I reclassified several different attributes. I felt Wisdom was the stat that seemed odd (the ability to be introspective yet also covers being attuned to fine details of the outside world) and also felt Dexterity was a bit overstacked mechanics wise. My solution was a bit more radical however (and most likely not popular, but since you are asking for ideas I'll post it).

I combined perception, and the ability work with complex puzzles and such into one stat that replaced Intelligence. I then combined the introspection of willpower and "book learning" into "Wisdom". Dexterity was still used for gross motor and fine motor skills. However missile accuracy fell under the stat which replaced intelligence while all of the missile weapon feats still required a minimum Dexterity to use. For anyone that fires missile weapons, yes it absolutely takes steady aim but it also takes a quick thinking mind - adjusting for angle, wind speed, identifying the proper target and thinking "one step ahead" if they are on the move, and so forth. It takes, IMO, a quick minded and dexy character to figure out friend from foe in the split second that they need to and take the shot.

No playtesting done as of yet, but just a out of the box suggestion.

Mon

Explorer
Mon:
Strength measures your character’s muscle and physical power.

Constitution represents your character’s health and stamina.

Intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons.

Wisdom describes a character’s willpower, common sense, perception, and intuition.

Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, ability to lead, and physical attractiveness.

That's based on definition, I see what you mean but to me physical power includes muscle just like saying Goblinoids and Hobgobllins are two different things, whereas accuracy and agility are totally different things.

Also totally different things...

Constitution
-> Health (general wellbeing)
-> Stamina (resistance to fatigue, illness, hardship etc)

Intelligence
-> Learning (the act, process, or experience of gaining knowledge or skill.)
-> Reason (to form conclusions, inferences, or judgements.)

Wisdom
-> Perception (becoming aware of things through the senses)
-> Willpower (ability to control oneself and determine one's actions)

Charisma
-> Persuasiveness (the power to induce the taking of a course of action or the embracing of a point of view by means of argument or entreaty)
-> Physical attractiveness (how good looking you are)

But whatever, we clearly internalise and reconcile them differently. I already said in my first post if you want to bust out a new ability you should - and that there is precident in the game. Have fun with it :)

Last edited:

FEADIN

Explorer
As said in the second post as an option in ADD2 "skills and powers" all abilities were split in two each one giving a bonus/malus IIRC the subability had to be within 4 points from each other in the same ability.
Dexterity was Agility and ....? one subability gave AC bonus/malus the other one ranged to hit bonus/malus.
IMO it was a good way to customize character and a good optional rule.
As for the way to hit a foe better be strong an dextrous than weak and clumsy....IMO strength and dexterity each contribute to land a blow.

Remove ads