D&D 4E D&D 4E Rageblood Armor Question

Zotak

First Post
Hello, I had a question about the Rageblood armor the property says
:when you use any barbarian rage power you regain 10 health + con mod

So lets say i have the move Thunder Hawk Rage when I enter it. It gives you a move Thunder Hawk Rage Attack as a free action as long as you stay in the Rage you can do the move once per turn only on your turn. So does that mean i Regain 20 health + con modx2 the first time i do both in the same turn and every turn I do Thunder hawk rage attack i get 10hp+con mod? Or does it just mean when you enter a rage? It also says USE so do you also not have to hit with the move either?

Thank you, Any input would be helpful

FireLance

Legend
Interesting question. I suppose you could argue that thunder hawk rage attack is not a "barbarian rage power" even though it has the rage keyword since it is not identified as a "Barbarian Attack/Utility X" in the title (unlike the base thunder hawk rage, which is a Barbarian Attack 5).

I personally would rule it that way, to maintain parity with the other barbarian rage powers.

Of course, this would mean that you don't regain hit points when you use a rage power from a barbarian paragon path.

Zotak

First Post
Yeah i know it is a bit confusing to me and seems to be a bit over powered since it doesn't use any Healing surges as well.

FireLance

Legend
Yeah i know it is a bit confusing to me and seems to be a bit over powered since it doesn't use any Healing surges as well.
It's not so bad if you only allow it with the base rage powers. Since rage powers are all dailies, that means a character can only use it three times per day (by the time you can get the armor, you should be at least 9th level). It doesn't allow unlimited surgeless healing.

Zotak

First Post
Yeah that would make it more balanced if it actually is only allowed through rage powers. What about Rage Strike you can use that twice per day do you regain the health when you use that to?

FireLance

Legend
Yeah that would make it more balanced if it actually is only allowed through rage powers. What about Rage Strike you can use that twice per day do you regain the health when you use that to?
Technically, it's not a rage power since it doesn't have the rage keyword. And I may be splitting hairs, but rage strike requires you to expend (and not use) an unused rage power, so I wouldn't accept the argument that you are using the second rage power when you expend it to use rage strike, either.

However, this is more because I want to encourage the barbarian PCs in my game to rage in as many encounters as possible, and not to store up unused rages to use rage strike. Should you choose to allow it to work, I don't think it would unbalance your game, and if the barbarian PC is in enough trouble that he is willing to expend an unused rage power to use rage strike, he might be glad for the extra healing.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I would tend to allow Rage Strike to trigger the armor also. It seems to be balanced to me, though it would tend to encourage the barbarian to nova in a single encounter, specially at level 9 and up.

DracoSuave

First Post
Interesting question. I suppose you could argue that thunder hawk rage attack is not a "barbarian rage power" even though it has the rage keyword since it is not identified as a "Barbarian Attack/Utility X" in the title (unlike the base thunder hawk rage, which is a Barbarian Attack 5).

I personally would rule it that way, to maintain parity with the other barbarian rage powers.

Of course, this would mean that you don't regain hit points when you use a rage power from a barbarian paragon path.

This is correct.

'Use a power' is not the same as 'Attack'. Using a power is the specific act of activating your power. Attacks on future turns that benefit from or are offered additional attacks (Warden's Guardian forms, for example) are not considered 'using a power.'

Zotak

First Post
Technically, it's not a rage power since it doesn't have the rage keyword. And I may be splitting hairs, but rage strike requires you to expend (and not use) an unused rage power, so I wouldn't accept the argument that you are using the second rage power when you expend it to use rage strike, either.

However, this is more because I want to encourage the barbarian PCs in my game to rage in as many encounters as possible, and not to store up unused rages to use rage strike. Should you choose to allow it to work, I don't think it would unbalance your game, and if the barbarian PC is in enough trouble that he is willing to expend an unused rage power to use rage strike, he might be glad for the extra healing.

Thats true Rage strike doesnt have the rage keyword on the move and it does make sense

Last edited:

I have the same question. A barbarian in my game has this armor and THAT particular rage power. He regained about 60 hp total in one fight. We decided to let it go till afterwards. His arguement is that the attack has the keyword Rage in it, therefore it spawns the armor property. My reasoning is that it is an effect of the rage, not a rage itself. So when he first uses it, he heals 10+ Con mod; no problem. But, he shouldn't get the healing effect every time he uses the attack from the power he activated afterwards.

Thoughts?

Remove ads