D&D 4th Edition Next Year?

pogre

Legend
CharlesRyan said:
Haven't you heard? ME 4.0 is right around the corner!

Charles,
I really like that game - really. I wish you could find a way to make it happen. The overlays for combat and the skill system were super smooth.

I know you are kidding around and C.E. is long gone in your rearview mirror, but it is the only modern game I will play.

Staffan

Legend
William Ronald said:
I was being somewhat tongue in cheek. I think that one of the problems at the end of 2nd Edition is that there were different groups operating under very different rules. A 2nd Edition campaign could include the core rule books, or the Skills and Powers books. (There was a lot more difference between the 2nd Edition core rule books and the Skills and Powers vooks.)
Don't forget the Complete handbooks, which formed another base of rules. And most of the settings changed/added to the rules in one way or another as well.

Dr. Harry

First Post
shadow said:
2. What more can Wizards possibly come out with for 3.5 D&D? We have class books, races books, two campaign settings, campaign option books, even terrain books. Unless Wizards repeats the mistakes of TSR by trying to simultaneously support several different campaign worlds, I doubt that there is much more that can be released for 3.5 without getting into niche products.

I do not agree.

Yes, I think that the classes and races are pretty well covered (although I can also see WotC going back to the well on this.)

I do not think that the two campaign settings count as completely covered; I think there is a lot of room for region books, and especially city/town books that can be dropped into any campaign.

I think that there is a lot of potential for one-shot campaign settings such as Ghostwalk, though I wouldn't release more than one a year, myself.

There are only two "Heroes of ..." books. This looks like the most promising line, to me ...

There are only three terrain books. I hope these sold well, because I like this line.

There is the series of monster-related books (Dragonomicon, etc.) There is a lot more room here.

Spell Compendium I is coming out next month. Think that's all WotC has stuff for?

I am glad that there seems to be lots of stuff the WotC can cover to delay 4E as long as possible.

As well, I don't think this constitutes

Cowpanzamie

First Post
GVDammerung said:
What I love are all the whiny babies who piss their pants everytime someone says "4e." Hoping it won't be so is not going to make it go away. These whinners are more annoying that the "here comes 4e" threads are alleged to be.
. . .
And the whinners? They will bend over and buy 4e, despite their whinning now. And they will then loudly proclaim it is - THE BEST EDITION EVAR! Bet me on it.

What, pray tell, are "whinners"? Does it have something to do with horses?

:confused:

Cowpanzamie

First Post
shadow said:
A gamer who spent several hundred dollars on 3e stuff sell all of his 3.0e stuff back to the gamer store after 3.5e was released.

My FLGS refusing to buy or give trade for 3.0e stuff anymore since "no one plays 3.0e anymore."

Several gamers who swore by 3e renounce it as soon as 3.5e came out. Although they were initially content with 3e and had no complaints about it, as soon as 3.5e came out 3.0e became the anathema.

I saw the same thing happen. Idiots. Why are gamers such sheep? :\

Cowpanzamie said:
I saw the same thing happen. Idiots. Why are gamers such sheep? :\
You call gamers sheep as if it were a baaad thing. :)

To get back on topic, I do expect a 4th Edition in 2007 or 2008, but not because I've heard anything. it's just how I would do it. From a mass-market standpoint, does the RPG paradigm still work at all?

I think that when 4th edition does come out it will be in form of an almost 75% minatures game, because the collectible miniatures market is where WotC probably sees their furutre revenue stream. The tabletop roleplayers are aging and will become increasingly irrelevant over time.

We are going to have to face the fact that we're all dinosaurs, renedered obsolete by the minitarues and the MMORPGs, and all we have left to do is wait for the asteroid.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Michael Hopcroft said:
We are going to have to face the fact that we're all dinosaurs, renedered obsolete by the minitarues and the MMORPGs, and all we have left to do is wait for the asteroid.

That's almost poetic in its cynicism.

Remove ads