D&D 5E D&D 5e Adventure Reviews

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I remember when adventure modules were less than 40 pages in length. They consisted of some backstory, an overarching plot, and some maps with enough encounters, events, and treasures to get your characters to the next level. Sometimes the modules were linked to create a longer narrative, but then you'd move on to the next storyline.

When I look at these newer, larger adventures bound in hardback, I don't see a "railroad", or a "sandbox", or whatever else people like to categorize their preferences and prejudices. As a DM, I just see a toolbox to customize, cobble, and tinker to create whatever style of campaign I want to give to my players. Most often, I would steal and adapt bits and pieces from other adventures from any edition or system to fill whatever holes or gaps that I think need filling. That's largely how I run all of my games, and not just D&D.

A quick example: I never really liked the bit about the Black Spider and the dragon in Lost Mines. And Wave Echo Caverns is a real let down after all the hype and history about what it is. So rather than run what essentially amounts to a lot of filler content, I have decided to substitute the Forge of Fury for the end of the adventure and tie some of those components to elements I had been building with the original adventure.

Or, if I want to use Princes of the Apocalypse, I can easily steer the party towards Red Larch, which is literally around the corner from Phandalin and pick things up from there. Combining a few of the extra low-level events and encounters from both provides more than enough opportunities and angles to suit whatever goals and agendas the players decide to pursue.

I suppose my point is that I rarely look to play any module as presented. Thus, the notion of how restrictive it is designed and perceived by others is irrelevant. I am personally more interested in the amount of material I see as useful, interesting, and well-presented. Storm King's Thunder, for example, has a great storyline with a lot of space to work around. Against giants, I can easily expand the campaign and drag it out for another 5 or 10 levels of play. So rather than jump to the next chapter and episode of the book, I start researching other adventures and events to coincide with things. Going back to Princes, what if the fire and earth cultists were looking to work with fire giants in Gauntlegrym? The giants want to harness the power of the primordial fire beast to work their forges, but the cultists secretly plot to release the slumbering elemental for their own schemes. I don't need the entire Temple of Elemental Evil for this side arc, but I have it available in sizable, manageable chunks for nearly any level range during the larger campaign.

Looking at it this way helped me to appreciate how 5e-WotC does things now. They don't want to tell us how to run our games. They give us the basic tools to work with, and enough space to make each individual experience our own. This is what makes this edition great. Not because of specific rules or how its played, but because how it is presented to me and how I can use it to play whatever way I like.

When I look at these newer, larger adventures bound in hardback, I don't see a "railroad", or a "sandbox", or whatever else people like to categorize their preferences and prejudices. As a DM, I just see a toolbox to customize, cobble, and tinker to create whatever style of campaign I want to give to my players. Most often, I would steal and adapt bits and pieces from other adventures from any edition or system to fill whatever holes or gaps that I think need filling.

A toolbox is really only as good as the tools it contains, and the nature of those tools will dictate what its most useful for.

I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about what you're saying, approach-wise, but if an adventure is a tightly-woven sequence of encounters and story, that's obviously far less likely to be valuable to someone seeking to craft a more scenario-y or sandbox-y type situation, than an adventure that contained a lot of well-drawn NPCs and their minions, had a lot of not-over-detailed maps, and so on.

Certainly over the years I've found adventures which were extremely easy to borrow bits from or even lift entire sections or people from, and I've always been particularly fond of stealing maps (because I will admit - I hate drawing maps). The rise of coloured, small-scale battlemaps has been slightly frustrating to me, personally. You can't fill them in yourself the way you can with more zoomed-out monochrome maps, and I find that they tend to distract players and cause them to think that if stuff isn't on the map, it isn't there (especially with the really detailed and well-drawn maps, sadly).

But I know a lot of people don't have the same time for preparing and basically re-writing entire adventures as you're describing (I usually do, and operate in a similar way to you, though I usually run homebrew from 4E and onwards, but sometimes I don't, and I want an adventure that actually works and is fun without heavy modification/fixing), so for them it is important how an adventure is constructed, and whether it functions well as intended.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
A lot of the dungeons inside Tales from the Yawning Portal are good and have stories, but the one that is the least drawing to me is Forge of Fury, which seems like it would just be a stale adventure.

I'm halfway through it on Roll20 currently. It's actually lots of fun & plays much better than it reads. Just needs a few tweaks. I recommend making both the duergar and the troglodytes willing to enlist the adventurers' aid to eliminate the other group, prompting players to choose between sides rather than just fight through both groups. Also changed the ghost to Durgeddin himself rather than random dwarf wizard, and again don't make him hostile - have him implore the adventurers to lay him to rest by defeating the wight and ogre skeletons in his tomb.

I find it much more playable than Against the Giants, which would require a ton of work to make it anything other than a repetitive slog.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Sandbox is broader for me. No mini-adventures, just a bunch of maps, tons of NPCs with their households, goals, holdings, etc., monster lairs (but not like mini-adventures again to be clear), and lots of detail on what is going on. But little direction as to what the PCs should do, and the expectation that this will all fall apart as the PCs interact with it.

It sound like DH has some of that but hasn't got the freedom that usually has, or the flexibility, so is more of a "Bioware" design. Nothing wrong with that but will suck if you expected a linear AP.

Dragon Heist is SUPER linear except for Chapter 2. And Chapter 2 is so thinly drawn and provides so little support that it fails as a sandbox and ends up being the weakest part of the book.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Then you won't like Dragon Heist!

I'm not sure where @Parmandur is coming from in saying the adventure is non-linear.

The adventure is expressly written that A MUST come before B, B MUST come before C etc.

There is a tiny bit of leeway in sidequests, but not that much - and they don't really matter to the advancement of the plot.

The fact the story could have different villians doesn't change that. The DM picks the villian. PCs have no say (I suppose the DM could ask the PLAYERS which villian they ultimately want) and even if they did, the story still progresses in a completely linear manner.

There is a chart that says that, which is part of the confusion, but the book lays out something very different...

GlassJaw

Hero
Forge of Fury is a great dungeon set piece, but I agree it need better context for why the players are there. Some of the rooms could use a little more fleshing out, or at least some more dynamic encounters to bring it to life rather than just room-to-room exploring.

It has a lot of potential though.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
There is a chart that says that, which is part of the confusion, but the book lays out something very different...

Really?

First, I'm not sure that's actually better - if a chart says the adventure should go a certain way - and then the adventure doesn't have any relation to the chart, how is that a good thing?

Second, This adventure ABSOLUTELY requires things be done in a certain, very specific order - basically start to finish. Sure there are some "explore the neighborhood" stuff that order doesn't matter - but for the most part, it really, really does.

Heck
the adventure McGuffin will literally wipe the PCs memories of finding it if it thinks the players have found it prematurely
how much more railrodey than THAT can you get!?! Not to mention a true recipe for angry players!

Note, I don't necessarily think a linear adventure is bad - heck often I prefer it. BUT, I dislike an adventure that's linear, refuses to admit it, and makes it hard for the DM to connect the parts for the players.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
A toolbox is really only as good as the tools it contains, and the nature of those tools will dictate what its most useful for.
I get what you're saying, but this becomes a lousy metaphor in this context. A toolbox contains more than just devices and applications designed to do one specific job for you. There are components, pieces, fittings, and miscellaneous parts to help you build, fix, and replace other components that could be worn out, degraded, or broken. But then again, we're not talking about actual "tools", so maybe "toolbox" isn't the best terminology to use.

Still, a good craftsman doesn't limit themselves by what they have on hand. The "right tool" might make a job easier in an instance. But it is the person who exhibits ingenuity, and innovates despite the inconvenience of greater effort, that improves their skill set. The ability to weave disjointed and otherwise unconnected components into a seamless and enjoyable narrative is a skill best learned through practice. No one ever said GMing was easy or effortless. ;)

I don't think there's anything particularly unusual about what you're saying, approach-wise, but if an adventure is a tightly-woven sequence of encounters and story, that's obviously far less likely to be valuable to someone seeking to craft a more scenario-y or sandbox-y type situation, than an adventure that contained a lot of well-drawn NPCs and their minions, had a lot of not-over-detailed maps, and so on.
How so? Are adventures not largely comprised of the same basic components, the most common and fundamental being the combat encounter? Maybe its just me, but I don't see it. Granted, some may require more work depending on the variations between what you want and what is written. But that is largely for the GM to decide what is useful, and how much work they are willing/required to make use of that.

But I know a lot of people don't have the same time for preparing and basically re-writing entire adventures as you're describing (I usually do, and operate in a similar way to you, though I usually run homebrew from 4E and onwards, but sometimes I don't, and I want an adventure that actually works and is fun without heavy modification/fixing), so for them it is important how an adventure is constructed, and whether it functions well as intended.
Except I'm not rewriting entire anything. The examples I gave in my post? That's about the extent of my re-writing. Change some goals for NPCs and make some narrative connections. It's basically plug and play to me.

But I'd like to understand your perspective. Why should the construction of an adventure matter if it doesn't affect how someone plans to use the smaller bits to reconstruct their own design? What exactly am I missing that is making this seem like an important issue to someone else? Can I explain it better with more examples?

Retreater

Legend
I've been running parts of Tales of the Yawning Portal on Roll20 during this pandemic, and I have to adjust my earlier review. We're three adventures in, and it plays great to have some fun, smaller dungeons to explore. I'd probably rate it "high mid tier" in play.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I'm currently running Dragon Heist and my group and I are loving it. However, IMHO, it really requires quite a bit of work. It has already been mentioned, but I also found the re-write by The Alexandrian very inspiring and I've picked stuff from it extensively.

As many have argued, I also think that the development of the plot as presented is less than stellar, but as a sourcebook and as a "campaign framework", I'm really enjoying it.

Remove ads