• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e NPC Generator (O.G.R.E.)

Sobran

Idiot Savant
I was horrified at the amount of work needed to finish my treasure generator, so I whipped this up. Except that the work needed to do this probably rivaled what I needed to finish the other one, so I'm not sure what the heck I was thinking.
Anyway! From the description:
This will generate an NPC using the rules in the D&D 5e Dungeon Master's Guide. It does not currently generate a name, but that will be added in a future update. I have to finish inputting all of the sample race names from the Player's Handbook. By default, the output is displayed in a narrative format, which uses natural language to describe the NPC over the course of two paragraphs. Alternatively, you may display the results in a simple list format, for fast perusal. Things generated by this: gender (optional), race, something notable about their appearance, their alignment (optional), ideal, bond, flaw, talent, mannerism, high/low attribute, and how they interact with others. Currently the narrative format does not display the NPC's alignment, while the list format does, but that can be remedied if the community cries out in terror.
This does not generate an occupation, at present. If the community feels that is desirable, we will have to brainstorm to come up with an appropriate list, which I will integrate into the generator. The only other bit of missing information is the "Useful Knowledge" data, which will need to be created by DMs, as what is appropriate will vary from campaign to campaign.
As noted, the names bit requires a lot more work. I likely won't get to that until after I finish up the Treasure Hoard work, likely later this week. To the link!

--Sobran

PS: The treasure generator has been significantly cleaned up and now includes the first two (of four) treasure hoards. Full change log at the blibbity blah.

Last edited:

Gilbou

First Post
I do C# programming myself and I was considering building a small tool to be able to generate any kind of character or monster on the fly.

What platform and langage are you going to use, if I may ask sir ?

Sobran

Idiot Savant
It's already built actually, using the O.G.R.E. scripting system here on Enworld. Maybe that wasn't clear from the post. I should make the link more obvious.

Your planned tool sounds like it could be very useful! Be sure to come back and tell everyone about it if you get something built. I'm sure the folks over at reddit.com/r/dndnext would like to hear about it too!

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
Nice job! My first NPC:

"This NPC is a female elf, recognizable for her distinctive jewelry (toe ring). She has high Wisdom and low Constitution. She has a talent: she is unbelievably lucky.
She tends to enunciate overly clearly and is hot tempered in her dealings with others. She is protective of colleagues or compatriots. If you asked her, she would say that her Ideal is, "Charity!" If she has a flaw, it is that she envies another's possessions or station."

Sobran

Idiot Savant
Nice job! My first NPC:

"This NPC is a female elf, recognizable for her distinctive jewelry (toe ring). She has high Wisdom and low Constitution. She has a talent: she is unbelievably lucky.
She tends to enunciate overly clearly and is hot tempered in her dealings with others. She is protective of colleagues or compatriots. If you asked her, she would say that her Ideal is, "Charity!" If she has a flaw, it is that she envies another's possessions or station."

Her Ideal and her Flaw are strangely at odds with one another, aren't they? I mean, I guess it works. Maybe she is generous with what she has because, subconsciously, she hopes others are generous with their own, more expensive things.

Gilbou

First Post
I need a small tool I can launch, and be able to generate a char from either a random encounter or something. I think first version of tool will just do that. Generating players later. I need to check available tools, if they already do the job, more useful to contribute to them, if possible, than redo the wheel myself.

Sobran

Idiot Savant
I need a small tool I can launch, and be able to generate a char from either a random encounter or something. I think first version of tool will just do that. Generating players later. I need to check available tools, if they already do the job, more useful to contribute to them, if possible, than redo the wheel myself.

What is it that you're looking for? An NPC generated like a first-level character?

EDIT: Come to think of it, someone made 1000 pre-gen characters. It's on the front page of Enworld right now.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads