• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 5e Post-Mortem

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As I play for the characters and stories that come from the verbal communication of players and GM around the table... 5E is a completely serviceable system for me. Just like most other RPGs are completely serviceable systems. More often than not though I prefer systems that are easier to understand and to get out of our ways when we don't need them, so I would put 5E above 3E and 4E in that regard... but not by so much that I have any despair or anger towards either of those two previous D&D systems.

I've played every edition of D&D thus far, and quite a number of other systems as well. And they are all fine through pretty good. If I had to select my favorite game from a mechanical standpoint it would be the Roll & Keep system from 1st Edition 7th Sea... but only after a number of edits and revisions. But Roll & Keep has been the only system that has been easy to grok and GM for, while also building tension within the game mechanics themselves. The exploding 10s and the ability to call Raises have made the "game" part of 7th Sea something actually intriguing for me to play, and not just a way of randomizing the answers to the questions found within the verbal communication (IE "roleplaying").

However, as D&D in all its forms have much more written in terms of adventure material (and I don't tend to enjoy writing my own adventures), D&D usually ends up being a more enjoyable experience for me to ultimately run.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The Critical Role folks skipped 4E in favor of Pathfinder, but, also abandoned PF for 5E. I think that says something for the system theory. A lot of us old hands like to point out why 5E isn't as tactical, or customizable, or skill play, etc.. enough. Nobody says 5E is their favorite edition, however, most folks will play it in favor of getting the group together. Its "everybody's second favorite edition" which might sound like damning with faint praise, but is actually a strength of 5E.
Oh, you're definitely seeing people saying 5e is their favorite edition and in this very thread. I'll say it too. I'm finding it an excellent blend of earlier D&D sensibilities plus more developed game engine structure. It may not be as tactical as its immediate predecessor, but there's quite a bit more cooperative tactical support than AD&D days.
Plus, it's easy to pick up and among the easiest editions to run at all levels I've encountered so far (got a big party at 14th level now). That's all in my experience, but I've run 1e, 2e, 3.0 and 3.5, and Pathfinder 1 for about 40 years. Honestly, I'm having a blast with 5e.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Oh, you're definitely seeing people saying 5e is their favorite edition and in this very thread. I'll say it too. I'm finding it an excellent blend of earlier D&D sensibilities plus more developed game engine structure. It may not be as tactical as its immediate predecessor, but there's quite a bit more cooperative tactical support than AD&D days.
Plus, it's easy to pick up and among the easiest editions to run at all levels I've encountered so far (got a big party at 14th level now). That's all in my experience, but I've run 1e, 2e, 3.0 and 3.5, and Pathfinder 1 for about 40 years. Honestly, I'm having a blast with 5e.
I think you are spot on. It’s pretty “easy” but there is reasonable synergy (though I thought fighters keeping bad guys off of spell casters was cool in 1e).

I am not a casual player at all but prefer the weight of 5e because the fun to work ratio is right for me. And it’s not devoid of tactical decisions…reaction, bonus actions etc is plenty for me

Jaeger

That someone better
After running 5e for nearly a decade, mostly for two or more sessions a week, I’m tired.

I cannot fathom why someone would run only ONE RPG that often, for a decade...

I simply cannot relate, as it is entirely beyond the scope of my experience to comprehend.

My Star Wars campaign just ended after five years - but that was once a week, where I was a player in other rotating RPG's with another GM once per week as well.

And I am now running a series of one-shots in different systems, until we settle on something that 'clicks'...

A Decade? Twice or more a week? One game!?

Just Mind Bottleing...

Dude, no wonder you are tired...

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Well, yes, I was being facetious about the "everyone's second favorite edition" meme. I agree with what you say here, while trying to point out the blindspot of the hardcore enthusiast.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
From a D&D perspective, I really enjoy 5e - but then I've enjoyed every edition of D&D.

From a group perspective though, 5e has been great. Some of my group enjoyed 3e but really chaffed at 4e. Some liked 4e but were not thrilled with 3e. They all took to 5e well and we've been having a great time with it for years.

But we play about 1-2 times a month, I can certainly see fatigue setting in if I was playing 1-2 times a week (That may have been my 3e issue, I was DMing that weekly for years and it was A LOT)..

As for other systems? I'm having a decent time with Savage Worlds, particularly Savage RIFTS. Haven't done a campaign with it exactly, but a series of 1 shots - and it's been fun and a great change of pace.

Retreater

Legend
For the most part, there's no other choice. No one was interested in another system.
I've done the occasional test run of another system, but yes, the just decade has been dominated by 5e, and a monolithic, "same" kitchen sink approach to fantasy gaming.
Finally, I put my foot down. I told my groups "I'm not doing this anymore."

Jaeger

That someone better
For the most part, there's no other choice. No one was interested in another system.
I've done the occasional test run of another system, but yes, the just decade has been dominated by 5e, and a monolithic, "same" kitchen sink approach to fantasy gaming.

Good for you!

This is something that should be done by far more GM's.

We run the games.

I will gladly take a reduction in play, if it means that I can enjoy the type of games that are fun for me.

When it comes to:
...No one was interested in another system.

I look at "other systems" like apple products at their peak under steve jobs.

i.e. Lots of people don't know what they really want until it is put in their hands.

Start off with one-shots. Do a few games with 6-8 session mini-campaigns and move up from there.

Yes, you will get intrangengence from some... But it is worth losing some chaff to keep things fun for you.

I realize how much of an outlier my gaming groups have been through the years. D&D has been by far the least played of any system.

But in between groups I bounced around a lot until I found a group that fit.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

One thing that reinvigorated 5e for me (usually, I'm a forever DM) was a friend running on zoom and me getting to be a player. It's been really nice just sitting back and playing for a while, instead of DMing.

Have you thought of joining an online group, 5e or a different game? I've found it's not quite the same as live , but still fun.

Oofta

Legend

I simply cannot relate, as it is entirely beyond the scope of my experience to comprehend.

My Star Wars campaign just ended after five years - but that was once a week, where I was a player in other rotating RPG's with another GM once per week as well.

And I am now running a series of one-shots in different systems, until we settle on something that 'clicks'...

A Decade? Twice or more a week? One game!?

Just Mind Bottleing...

Dude, no wonder you are tired...

It's the stories that matter, not the system for some people.

Remove ads