D&D 5E D&D 5e Questionnaire

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
The "how much do you spend" question could perhaps be amended to "how much have you spent on 5e". I've yet to spend a dime on 5e, DMing solely off of WotC's freely released material and a handy "expected difficulty" chart. The rest I pull from the books I already have for other editions, converting as needed.
Thank you for existing. People always act like I'm being some kind of jerk when I mention that the core game of 5th edition is free, and all the stuff WotC put a price tag on are expansion materials, because they think that no one like you actually exists.

Cyvris

First Post
Thank you for existing. People always act like I'm being some kind of jerk when I mention that the core game of 5th edition is free, and all the stuff WotC put a price tag on are expansion materials, because they think that no one like you actually exists.

Part of it is I'm only DMing a 5e game because the group at the FLGS wanted to play 5e, all my normal games are still 4e (though heavily modified). The other part is that the 5e books are bloody expensive if you buy them anywhere that's not Amazon. If players want an option in my game they can either buy the book or present me with a homebrew they found.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
I've spent around $2,000 on minis... so long as you only count the ones I currently have (2 kickstarters worth of Bones, a ton of paints, fancy brushes and a light for my workspace, plus the first set of Pathfinder minis, and the old WotC gargantuan and colossal dragons), and not the few hundred of old WotC minis that I gave to one of my gaming group as a going away present when they left town to take their first professorship.

Wow. I have DM'd once and spend £200.00 on minis. I think I got a little giddy. In today's world it's just too easy to click.

All my expenses are the adventure paths and the digital player maps I buy separately.

So that's about $80 per adventure. Seeing how an adventure keeps my group busy for several years, I guess you could call it cheap. But I would still rather call it expensive, because a lot of the game's quality and fun comes also from my preparation and not solely from the AP and maps.
With all those hours I spend on preparation for an adventure I could probably easily earn $10000 or more at work. :p

Last edited:

thorgrit

Explorer
Filled out. Not sure where you were going with one of the questions, though. "Have you ever heard of Unearthed Arcana?" Yes, that's a name that WotC has used for at least two (almost) entirely different things that I know of and have used, I think I might have heard of a third, and wouldn't surprise me if there were more.

Remove ads