D&D 5E D&D 5E: Ranking every published adventure, using Amazon reviews

Zardnaar

Legend
Hmm. Not terribly useful. I see 11/14 entries sitting at a 4.8 rating, with the outliers of that group within %5 points of each other. That doesn't help me narrow a choice down. At the best, and pretending Amazon reviews are all accurate & truthful, that just tells me WoTC produces a very consistent level of content.

Production values are very consistent.

teitan

Legend
What @Whizbang Dustyboots is getting at is that one can believe this and believe that Amazon reviews are not a good indicator of how well an adventure is received.

I think it’s quite obvious that both are true - the Tiamat adventures are not universally reviled. Indeed, they are quite well liked. But this data isn’t a reliable indicator of that fact.
Thousands of reviews aren’t an indicator?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Thousands of reviews aren’t an indicator?
No. There's an entire industry built around messing around with reviews, for reasons that aren't always obvious. (I don't think WotC is putting fake reviews into the system.)

This site suspects that 45% of the reviews on Hoard of the Dragon Queen are suspect, possibly to intentionally drive down reviews in a programmatic way.

The same issue happens whenever you let the public add reviews, most famously at Rotten Tomatoes.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No. There's an entire industry built around messing around with reviews, for reasons that aren't always obvious. (I don't think WotC is putting fake reviews into the system.)

This site suspects that 45% of the reviews on Hoard of the Dragon Queen are suspect, possibly to intentionally drive down reviews in a programmatic way.

The same issue happens whenever you let the public add reviews, most famously at Rotten Tomatoes.
I found this fascinating so decided to re-run all of these using that tool. The results will take a while for it to update them all.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Product Name / (Pass Warn or Fail) / Adjusted Rating

Tomb of Annihilation (PASS) 4.7
Curse of Strahd (FAIL) 4.6
Out of the Abyss (WARN) 4.6
Tales from the Yawning Portal (WARN) 4.6
Dungeon of the Mad Mage (FAIL) 4.5
Ghosts of Saltmarsh (WARN) 4.5
Rise of Tiamat (FAIL) 4.5
Storm Kings Thunder (WARN) 4.5
Descent Into Avernus (FAIL) 4.4
Dragon Heist (FAIL) 4.4
Rime of the Frostmaiden (FAIL) 4.4
Hoard of the Dragon Queen (FAIL) 4.3
Princes of the Apocalypse (FAIL) 4.3
Candlekeep Mysteries (FAIL) 4.2

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone

When I followed your link, I got zero %... I think we may be in different countries?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
They all start at or close to 0% until you request a full report. I just ran the report for today and it's now "31% of potentially unnatural reviews removed."
Nice. Mine said they had scheduled another look, which I guess you got. Thirty-one percent is much better than 45%, but that's still a lot of problematic reviews.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases