D&D 5E [D&D 5E] Tattered Memories: An Adventure in Tethyr (COMPLETE)

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: I'm dispensing with the Strength check. You'd get it after a few retries even if you failed a time or two, especially with both Advantage and Proficiency.

Brue worked at the bottom lid, careful to avoid damaging it as much as possible. Prying it open, she looked in satisfaction as the bottom came free of the barrel. Unlike the top of the keg, the bottom almost resembled a plug, nearly a hand-span thick and comprised of two separate pieces of wood. The thinnest piece, the part that formed the outside of the lid, matched the rest of the wood comprising the barrel. On top of that was a circular block of wood, designed to fit the curve of the barrel snugly, which gave the appearance that it was the bottom of the barrel on the inside. Brue tapped at the wood block, but it did not sound hollow. It was, however, exceedingly light; the bottom lid was only slightly heavier than the top lid, even though it was several inches thicker. Tracing a finger along it, it had a somewhat spongy feel to it.

OOC: Oh yeah, before I forget, go ahead and roll me a D20

OOC: Brue just failed a will save, didn't she? GAH.

[section] Brue continued to work at the bottom lid. She tried to pry apart the spongy top from the bottom of the lid. Is there a hollow space between the lid layers? Has someone stuffed something in there? She fell to musing while she gleaned the lid.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
Brue pushed and pulled at the two layers of wood. Almost giving up, about a third of the spongy wood suddenly broke off from the remainder. No hole was apparent, the piece was solid, spongy, but wet.

Janelle looked oddly at the wood.

[section] "It's spongy. Why would it be spongy?" Brue looked up at Janelle. The genasi sniffed at the spongy section of wood, touched it with her index finger, then touched the tip of her tongue to it.[/section]

Forged Fury

First Post
OOC: You can take a shot at an untrained Intelligence (Nature) check

"Not sure why it would be spongy," Janelle replied, "but it does remind me of something I saw in Zazesspur. A tavern there served alcohol with fruit steeped in the jug. The alcohol pulled the flavor from the fruit."

Forged Fury

First Post
Brue is pretty sure the wood in question is called waterkeep. It's native to Chult, but there's a heavy trade of the stuff in Calimshan, due to its properties. Waterkeep is porous and has great absorption capacity, allowing liquids to be transported over long distances without fear of spillage or evaporation. When exposed to another liquid, the wood slowly releases whatever it is holding until it reaches a certain equilibrium, at which point it can be reused.

Remove ads